For the uninitiated.......... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2001, 16:57   #1 (permalink)
Probe Member

For the uninitiated..........

Vulcan,

I read of your plight. Here's a good opportunity to liven up this area. Tell me what a 'LX' is.

We never got the 1st Gen Probe in Oz (our loss) and consequently don't know much about it - and really cannot relate it to our cars.

I've seen a 1st Gen plastic model here in Australia - and have considered buying it several times. There is nothing for the Probe here at all. Ford really stuffed up their marketing on this car. I honestly believe it could have been a lot bigger. On the other hand, it's nice having a 'rare' car.....................

Go for it - I'm listening.............

'97 stock Silver Frost Probe - ATX

Ford Probe: JAPANESE HEART, AMERICAN SOUL......
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2001, 20:37   #2 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

OH MAN, that sucks, no first gen Probes in Australia! That means NO TURBO PROBES, BOOOOOOOOO!

OK, here's a breakdown for you of all the first generation probes.

89-92 GT TURBO - 145hp, 190tq. Adjustable suspension. 15" Aluminum rims, ground effects, looks nice, very fast, 2.2L Turbo Mazda engine

89-92 GL - Same 2.2L Mazda engine, but no turbo. 110HP, 130TQ, 14 inch rims, no ground effects, basically it's the base model..

OK, now for the LX's.

Only the 89LX came with a 2.2L non-turbo engine, it was basically the same thing as a GL but with all the options, I think the LX meant "Luxury"

Then from 90-92 Ford realized that for a Luxury vehicle the LX was underpowered, and it decided to throw in a very lively 3.0L V6! The silky smooth V6 was a perfect match for a luxury edition Probe...

The 3.0L V6 came with 145hp, 160 torque. The advantage of the GT is that it's got 30 ft. lbs more torque... even though it's got the same horsepower.

3.0L V6
12 Valve (2 valves per cyl)
Pushrod engine (ancient technology, but it works!)

Also, the 90-92 LX came with the same 15" rims as the GT. The LX did not have any ground effects however. The 3.0 LX weighs about the same as the GT, 3000 lbs. Even though the GT is a 4-cyl and the LX a 6, the GT has extra ground effects, intercooler pipes, intercooler, turbo parts, etc that even it out.

Also, the V6 LX came with a dual outlet muffler like the GT while the GL came with a single outlet.

ONE MORE THING, I think the LX was the only Probe that you could get a digital dash with... the tachometer, speedometer, odometer, and all the other guages are all digital which looks pretty cool but it does not show over 85 in MPH, but it does show higher in kilometers per hour....

The GT had analog guages that go up to 120 mph.

Uhmmmmmmmmm.. I cannot really think of much else, if you want to see what it looks like check out my website!

http://www.geocities.com/marcalankennedy/Index.html

Laters!
:p

1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II 13B-T "FC3S"
Turbo RWD Rotary Powa!
Vulcan Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 21:32   #3 (permalink)
Probe Member

Thumbs up

Hey, I like how the text follows the cursor.............does that only work in the browser?

I'm going to go and get that model. Might be the only way I, or any of the Probers down here, will ever get to appreciate what a 1st Gen looks like (other than pics).

What is that sticking up on the bonnet? Also, it's time you DID get some additional pictures of your car. Think of doing it for a good cause. Me.

I only know of one turbo Probe here in Oz - and that's an aftermarket job.

Are the LX more 'rare' than the other models? Not only did we miss out on this version of the car, we also ONLY got one model into Oz with the 2nd Gen. Go figure.

On the bright side, at least we GOT the Probe. According to some docs that I recently had sent to me (printed 1994) it had been an 86 year gap since RHD American Fords were imported to Australia - the last being the Model "S" in 1908. So we were pretty lucky to get it at all.

So, you have a digital dash? I'd like to see a picture of that.

How about a full 'virtual' tour.

I'll spend some more time on your web site, but if you've got a digital camera..............and a little time, you've got a captive audience of ONE. Hey, I might become the Oz 1st Gen Probe afficionado..................with a little help, of course.

Hey, what are they worth in $US. Imagine actually HAVING one here in Australia. Might be a worthwhile project. That would truly be unique................Hmmmm.

Old 08-21-2001, 21:57   #4 (permalink)
Probe Member

Hey, as you can imagine - after my last post, I wandered around your site and came across the pic of your dash. Very cool. There are a lot of people who don't like the digital effect, but I'm not one of those. It looks great. Can you switch between kph and mph???

I'm still interested in more pics.

Old 08-24-2001, 15:32   #5 (permalink)
Just some guy...

Quote:
Originally posted by Homer
Hey, I like how the text follows the cursor.............does that only work in the browser?
Do you have a website you'd like to add the script to? I'll e-mail it to you if you want.
Old 08-27-2001, 15:54   #6 (permalink)
Probe Member

Gil, thanks for the offer. I guess that while I don't have a web site to add it to yet, it will come in handy one day.

See profile for email address.

Regards,

Old 12-03-2001, 12:05   #7 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

You can get a first gen Probe in the USA for about $2000 US. Shipping it to Australia would probably cost more than the vehicle itself, but you would surely have a unique ride that would probably get lots of attention, and alot of questions..

Sorry I still have not taken any pics of the car recently, it's just so cold outside and I have not washed it in a while. Also, it was rear ended so the back bumper and tail-light is damaged, it's not the prettiest first gen right now.

1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II 13B-T "FC3S"
Turbo RWD Rotary Powa!
Vulcan Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 13:47   #8 (permalink)
NEPO / Probe LX Member

i have an lx and i dont have the digital dash or a dual outlet muffler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum