Vulcan Probes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2001, 23:40   #1 (permalink)
HO V6 XR5i

Question Vulcan Probes

Do 1991 Vulcan's have forged steel rods? Thanks.

1987 GLS - Genesis...
1988 XR5 - Will Always Live...
1993 HO XR5i - 3rd Time's a Charm...

<A HREF="http://www.zianet.com/roteno1981" TARGET="_blank">Guillermo's Garage
GuillermoXR5i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2001, 05:07   #2 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

I'm pretty sure that the 90-92 3.0 does not have any forged parts in it. You might have to get it coated somewhere for strength, unless there are aftermarket forged parts for it.

Laters,
Marc

1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II 13B-T "FC3S"
Turbo RWD Rotary Powa!
Vulcan Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 19:07   #3 (permalink)
Probe Member

once again you are right vulcan but you can get forged pistons and from the sho 3.0 they have the same side pistons
Old 11-25-2001, 14:15   #4 (permalink)
Mod/SCPOC/Probe LX Member

Arrow forged parts

some of the sho parts would work i believe. there are aftermarket forged parts you can find. I actually had much better luck when searching for the taurus 3.0 from the same year, which had an identical engine.
Caliguy143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 00:10   #5 (permalink)
Probe GL Member

So... say for instance somebody (ME) was looking into running around 14-15 pounds of boost (out of a vortech supercharger) on a 3.0 what would I need to really worry about in terms of the bottom end?

The intake I'm gonna leave for the most part stock to retain high velocity airflow (I'll be pushing the air in anyway)

The Exhaust I'm gonna port the hell out of, hopefully headers and 3 inch to the back.

As for the engine... I'd like to be able to run the stock rods and crank with dished hyper pistons, but of course I don't really relish the idea of pounding a rod through the crankcase.

Do any of you know what the actual strength of the rods and crank are? I haven't heard of any rod problems with the vulcan engine... certainly nothing like I've heard about with the second gen 2.5's. As for the rods from a SHO I do not believe they will fit on the crank of the Vulcan (I have talked to bufalo aka Greg Martin about this in some length). The width of the journals on the vulcan crank is larger than that of the SHO crank.

Info is much appreiated, I'm working on the funding for this little project at the moment.

http://probesport.extremespace.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=3c22e6eb1a3affff

Ryanpzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 05:53   #6 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

The rods, crank, and pistons all fit into the 3.0L Vulcan. This opens up our possibilities for FORGED parts ten-fold, as the SHO engine actually has an aftermarket for it. Not only that, but the SHO parts are already strong as hell in the first place.

http://www.rangerforum.com/showthrea...threadid=13624

There is some good info for you guys thinking of a SHO/Vulcan hybrid engine.

For those of you who do not wish to follow the link:

Quoted from Ranger Forums

"SHO Crank in a Vulcan:
Auto Trans: use AT 3.0L/3.2L SHO Crank and rods.
Man Trans: use only the 3.0L MT Crank (otherwise you will need a custom flywheel/flexplate, or welded/redrilled mounting holes in the crank).
Mix and match pullies/harmonic dampeners to fit. All rotating assemblies must be balanced due to the swapping.

(Numbers are as printed in the Ford Motorsports Catalog 2001.)

Pistons:

Vulcan: 3.504" (cast/hypereutectic), available up to 3.544"
SHO: 3.504" (Forged Only) SHO block can accept a .122" overbore to 3.2L!
Pinto 2L: 3.575" (all versions)
Some Chevy (corp.) V-6's are 3.540 and larger

Rods:
Short rods= low rpm/towing, quick to gain RPM's, but can't fill cylinders well. Need larger valves and tall (3.45:1) gears, in town, daily driver, high torque use.
Long rods=high rpm/horsepower, better at filling cylinders, less prone to detonate, more stable at RPM's, likes short (3.73-4.10:1) gears. Highway and high RPM use.

Rod journal diameters
Most all Ford and the Vulcan: 2.123"
SHO: 2.047"
SBC Chevy 2.100 or 2.000"

Rod length
Vulcan: 5.5315"
SHO: 5.780" (same as 351C/4v/HO/Boss/Cobra Jet!!)
302 (5.0L) strocker rod: 5.400"

Information courtesy of Boss 3.0 (Fred)

Turbo RWD Rotary Powa!
Old 11-26-2001, 07:25   #7 (permalink)
Probe GL Member

I think I'm gonna have to register on the ranger forum, If I did decide to go with the SHO crank then how does the timing chain mount to a crank meant for a timing belt, and how is the difference in length accounted for. He said by some combination of pulleys and dampers, but that still leaves the front main oil seal???

http://probesport.extremespace.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=3c22e6eb1a3affff

Old 11-26-2001, 07:38   #8 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

Hmmmmm.. don't know about that one. Maybe possibly you can try shooting the question over at Ranger Forums and see what they come up with! Sorry!

Turbo RWD Rotary Powa!
Old 11-28-2001, 17:45   #9 (permalink)
Probe LX Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanpzz

The intake I'm gonna leave for the most part stock to retain high velocity airflow (I'll be pushing the air in anyway)
I highly disagree with that decision. Jason King of the Taurus Club forum said that a big reason Ralph Grecco's supercharger setup didn't get good results is because he stuck with the stock throttle body. Basically the TB is way too small for the 3.0. At least get the TCCA intake manifold designed by Jason King. It gives you a Mustang 5.0 60 mm TB which bolts to a custom CNC machined plate that is welded onto a ported and polished 3.0 upper intake manifold. I have the 5.0 TB now and it is MUCH bigger than the 3.0 TB. You will have to supply the Mustang stock 5.0 TB if you buy this.
Old 11-28-2001, 22:33   #10 (permalink)
Probe GL Member

There is a big difference between my decision to leave most of hte intake stock and ralphs...

The BIGGEST difference is the type of supercharger I am planning on using. I would go with either a centrifugal supercharger or a turbo BEFORE going with a roots supercharger. The difference is that the roots was after the throttle body and the centrifugal is BEFORE.

For the roots supercharger retaining the stock throttle body meant that All of the air that was to eventually enter the engine would have to be sucked through a very restrictive throttle body before being compressed and pushed into the engine.

For a centrifugal supercharger or turbo the incoming air does not have to pass such an obstacle, instead there is very little restriction of the incoming air to the compressor and the air is compressed and then pushed into the engine.

I do plan on some modification of the intake side... mostly just smoothing and polishing the intake runners and porting the intake port on the head slightly just to create smooth and as close to friction free surface as possible... The idea of a huge intake (the wider the better) is what I am trying to avoid. Instead of "porting" the intake runners... I'm going to smooth and polish them to make the airflow smooth and consistent.

I may still upgrade the throttle body, but I'm not planning on doing a supercharger setup like Ralphs.

I hope I made myself clear.. if you have questions please ask... I want to explain myself as clearly as possible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum