what kind of mods to add..... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2002, 23:21   #1 (permalink)
gltuner

what kind of mods to add.....

What kind of mods do you need to do to add the wrx turbo on a gl?Custom brackets or what?Kinda curious about this and what does it cost? Oh yeah what otehr mods can i do.I dont want to dump the motor thats in it.Its in great shape with only 56k miles on it.Some old guy owned it before me.Suggestions please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2002, 02:38   #2 (permalink)
Probeless Moderator

i don't think brackets will do the trick for ya. basically you need to swap in a GT engine to get any kind of turbo. there are many parts on our GL's that just wouldn't be strong enough to withstand the power.

you need to switch almost everything from a GT over, including...

engine (stronger internals and lower compression)
GT axles and a bigger spindle to support the axles
GT ECU
GT wiring harness
GT tranny
and a few other misc parts...

basically it cost alomst the same to turbo a GL as it would to just sell the GL and buy a GT. but you can still get some pretty good performace out of a GL with the proper mods.

Gunmetal Gray 91 Probe GT
May the boost be with you!!!
zkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 14:54   #3 (permalink)
Probe Member

To just add on a turbo that isn't meant for our car would be several thousand dollars. However, that's just to be able to run 4-6 p.s.i. (the amount safe on our stock internals) which isn't a lot. If you wanted to run 15 psi or something worth while, you'd need to rebuild the engine with new pistons and what not. If you want to keep your engine stock, go with a supercharger set up. They would cost about the same to do, maybe less and you'd get more performance gains from it.
Old 01-10-2002, 21:41   #4 (permalink)
turbo PGLer

Well, if it is a genuine WRX turbo, it can be done for $1200, plus a new tranny, clutch, axles, andd hubs.
The GL motor is stronger than some people think, although I don't recommend running 15 psi or anything like that.
True is it weaker than the GT, but it does have the same crank, and decent rods. The pistons are the same type of casting as in a Kia sportage, and they can take to boost pretty well.
If you really are looking at the true WRX turbo, 4-6 psi with the higher compression will make you feel almost NO turbo lag, and pretty good horsepower numbers. BUT, everything behind the engine won't hold up to it very good, so you will need to upgrade the drivetrain.
Also, the coputer will get confused, the injectors are too small, and you don't have intercooler piping, or an intercooler.
The GT's also have a oil cooler that you might want to look into, I don't know for sure if the GL's have them or not, but I've heard that they don't.
If you do just hook it up it will go BOOM!! So you will need to do something about the computer.

I can see this thing done for about 3000-3500 bucks, though, and it would be a real surprise to anyone pulling along side you. In fact the turbo will come on so quick, that they would probably assume you still N/A, too.
gxt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum