Ford Forums banner

Where is CPS/fuel filter located??

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  MacDaddy 
G
#1 ·
Greetings all.

After pouring through many of the posts on this great forum, I think I need
to replace the crankshaft position sensor and possibly the fuel filter in my daughters '93 PGT. She has 140k on the car and it's run fine until now. The symptoms are: Car runs fine at low rpm and easy throttle. When the rpms go up, the car will hesitate and "buck" like it's starving for fuel. It will smooth
out and then hesitate again and again. I don't notice the rpm's dropping when this happens.

My questions are: can an average guy with some mechanical apptitute replace these? If so, where are they located? I'm assuming the fuel filter is
near the gas tank under the car, but what about the CPS?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Happy new years to all.

Jim

#2 ·
Jim!
Welcome to the FordForum.
Be sure to check the NCPOC forums as well. Anyone with a slim connection to the state of North Carolina is welcome.

The fuel filter is somewhere under the hood I'm told. Perhaps it is obvious I've not changed mine? It's on the list of things to do.

There are two crankshaft position sensors. One (CKP1) is in the distributor, the second(CKP2) is located at the crankshaft pulley opposite the timing indicator bracket, about 4 to 5 O'clock. It looks pretty easy to get to from the manual, but I couldn't see it, so I just don't know.

You shouldn't have any problem changing them, the car is o.k. to work on, it's just tight.

There are alot of good sites with information on malfunction codes etc. If you need them, ask.

#4 ·
I got inspired and changed mine today.
Not hard, but Very Frustrating due to the tightness of everything. But now it's done.. It's behind and below the air box, and Ford didn't give you enough hose to pull it much. You'll have to remove the air box. Oh and pull the pump relay just like Pat says in the webpage.
If I ever do it again I'm adding more hose to the tank side.

#5 ·
CPS sensor down by the crank pulley is very easy to get to. Takes aboot 10 minutes to replace. Te fuel filter is on the drivers side of the engine compartment...jsut forward of the brake master cylinder. Looks like a metal can with the hose coming into the bottom, and goingo out of the top.

Changed this on a friends MTX, and it was a tight job. I'm dreading my ATX, because there is even less room to play with....

G
#6 ·
Thanks guys!

I appreciate the response. I'm going to start by changing just the fuel filter and see if that solves the problem. You guys are right about the Probe having a TIGHT area to work in!!! After I read your posts, I popped the hood to take a look and couldn't even see the fuel filter! Makes me long for the days of big American V-8's with plenty of room under the hood and a simple carburator.

Cheers
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.