Ford Forums banner

Will GT clutch work in 3.0 LX?

3K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  Bufalo 
#1 ·
OK, I've done alot of searching for a high performance clutch for the 3.0L, and I cannot find hardly anything that is a Stage II or higher. Bufalo once mentioned that a Zoom Racing Kevlar clutch would do the trick, but I cannot seem to find Zoom Racing on the internet. I saw it in my Summit catalog, but I was wonderin about something. If the 3.0 LX transmission is the same thing as the 2.2L Turbos transmission (internally), does this mean that they share the same clutch as well? Because when I do a search for the 2.2L Turbo there are all kinds of clutch kits available, and one in particular that I am interested in.. the ACT clutch.

If anyone knows that the GT clutch will work in the 3.0L let me know, as I would probably end up going with the ACT. I know that, eventually once I get my nitrous installed, I will need a new clutch. Also, the ACT would be perfect not only for reliability, but also lowering your 60 fts, and 1/4 mile times..

#2 ·
GUESS WHAT i just found out that the lx and gt have the same clutch, im saying this cause at kragen.com one of the clutches came out to be the same for both cars, also the other clutches even though they have a different number they share the same dimensions, which led me to the conclusion that the difference between both clutches its just the holding power, whoohooo i think i just found a way to add more mods to the 3.0s

#3 ·
Sweet! Thanks for checking up on that for me! That's great news! Now we all won't be blowing multiple OEM clutches when we get more power! I was looking at the ACT clutches, and the best one that I could find could handle 422 lbs of torque, MORE THAN ENOUGH. Even the weakest one handled around 300. Now the only concern is the clutch damaging the transmission with all the power, but then again I don't ever see the GT turbo guys with this problem............. so :thup: :thup: :thup:

#6 ·
probably, all lot of the guys in probetalk got jealous and probably scare to find out that a somewhat modded 3.0 can become that fast, wait until i fix it, and get a 14 or even 13 sec timeslip and video, so they can crap on their pants hehehehehehehehehehehehhehe

3.0 v6 Vulcan POWA!!!!!!!!!!

G
#7 ·
NO!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLY SHIT !

NO THEY AREN'T THE SAME CLUTCH!!!!!!!!

Ack...

The LX uses a different clutch disc and a wholly different pressure plate. You need to find a clutch that's made for the 3.0L, you can't use a GT clutch. The discs are the same size and use the same input shaft spline, however. Still I don't believe they are interchangable. There are different part numbers for clutch discs from every manufacturer.

Also, anyone who thinks that "they use the same transmission" is in for a rude awakening. *INTERNALLY* they are *VERY SIMILAR,* but they are *NOT* the same transmissions. Internal parts will interchange, sort of, but the casing, final drive, bellhousing, and most of the gear ratios are DIFFERENT. They assemble and disassemble the same way, but that's about IT.

I hope I caught this before you spent your money...

#8 ·
WOW, thanks for the warning Bufalo! Well, then that really SUCKS! So how good is this Zoom Racing Kevlar clutch? What kind of torque can it hold up to? Also, is it considered a stage II clutch? I KNOW (not think) that I'll end up frying this clutch in no time once I get the Zex kit properly installed and running great. I just don't think the OEM clutch is going to hold up for long, so I would like your opinion on the clutch? Didnt you install one?

Laters
Marc

BUFS THE MAN!

G
#9 ·
heh

you know? I never ever installed it. I've been waiting to rebuild the motor and transmission, and that seems to have never happened.

I've driven a friend's 5.0L that had a Zoom racing kevlar clutch and let me say, it was sweet! It had a nice stiff feel in the pedal, relatively smooth takeup... but it sure did grip. The Clutch that they make for the LX is the same style. Full face, all kevlar, heavy pressure plate. it's not a true solid-hub clutch, but instead of takeup springs there are pieces of urethane. They provide some shock damping without the compromise of springs.

It's at least a "stage II" clutch.

I can't wait to someday finish all the engine work and try it out in the real world on my real car. :)

#10 ·
Do you have the part number from Summit or wherever you got it, for future reference? I know I will be looking for one of these. Do you know of anyone else who may possibly make a clutch for us?

When are you going to get your stuff done Bufalo? I'm sure you've got some tricks up your sleeve! I'd really like to know what your plans are but I recall you mentioning once that they were secret for now so that's understandable..

Take it easy..

Marc

#11 ·
i dunno i think im going to go to the local kragen and have them show me the cluch for both the lx and the gt im 90% sure that they are interchangable i mean even one of the numbers for their cluches its the same for both cars so i dunno i will go check and if they are the same can you say stage 3 cluch for me

#12 ·
Why would Greg say one thing, and then the part numbers and dimensions say another? Yeah I'd go ahead and double check on all this. Greg, how did you find out that they were different?

Laters

G
#13 ·
I've cross-referenced clutch disc and PP part numbers from every manufacturer, and they're always different. Looking on centerforce.com, or any online automotive store, such as CarParts, AdvanceAuto, or Napaonline, and you will see different part numbers for the GT and LX specific clutches.

I can't say I've ever attempted to install a GT clutch in an LX or vice-versa. If someone has done so themselves and can guarantee without a doubt that they used a GT-specific clutch in their V6 LX, so be it. Until that time, I'll go by there being two different clutches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.