The Wisdom of all is sought after!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2001, 17:11   #1 (permalink)
Mazda MX6 Member

The Wisdom of all is sought after!!

As I prepare for my first track/racing experience (still a week or 2 away...want to get that n2o in!!) I'm looking for people's personal advice/practices on the following:

*Tire Pressure (both front and rear) and do you drop the pressure for the race and then raise it again after your done??

*Launch RPM's/strategy (slip it/drop it/combo of the two)??

*Do you guys try to plan your driving so you only have a little gas in your tank for the actual race (less weight)??

*Shift Points??

*I have 17's with Lw profile tires....should I look into getting some cheap 15's just to toss on for races??

I know a lot of this stuff is personal preferance and belief, but I'd just like to see what everyone is doing.

A few side questions:

*Are gauges a worth while investment when running n2o/racing?? And if so which ones are a must and which are just for show??

*Where in the SAC area do you guys fill your n2o tanks/how much $?? (I'm actually in fresno at college, but I'll be headed back home probably once a month or so, so if it's cheaper down there I'll try to fill up when I'm around)

As always your infinate wisdom an expertise is greatly appreciated

Greddy Exhaust, Custom CAI, K&N, Vitek Wires, NGK Plugs, Neon Green Hose Tech Kit, Neon Green Manifold and VC's, Pheno's, TSW 17" VX1 Rims, Low Profile Tires, Custom Switch Pannel, Black Lights, Pioneer Day Night Deck, and(Ready to be installed) NOS Kit 5122 and Walbro 255!! (Walbor's in...now it's TIME for the juice :D)

"Drive it like you stole it !"
Rdiggidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2001, 18:08   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: The Wisdom of all is sought after!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rdiggidy
As I prepare for my first track/racing experience (still a week or 2 away...want to get that n2o in!!) I'm looking for people's personal advice/practices on the following:

*Tire Pressure (both front and rear) and do you drop the pressure for the race and then raise it again after your done??

*Do you guys try to plan your driving so you only have a little gas in your tank for the actual race (less weight)??

*Shift Points??

*I have 17's with Lw profile tires....should I look into getting some cheap 15's just to toss on for races??

I know a lot of this stuff is personal preferance and belief, but I'd just like to see what everyone is doing.

A few side questions:

*Are gauges a worth while investment when running n2o/racing?? And if so which ones are a must and which are just for show??

*Where in the SAC area do you guys fill your n2o tanks/how much $?? (I'm actually in fresno at college, but I'll be headed back home probably once a month or so, so if it's cheaper down there I'll try to fill up when I'm around)

ok this is coming from a RWD guy in a chevy so take it as you may.

Tire pressure: I run 22# in the rear and 40# in the 40 in the front. I am a RWD guy.

For the an auto I usually would do as follows:
1 take it up to where your tc would lock and keep it there. when you see the last yellow let off the brake and smash the gas.
2. manual. Depends on your clutch and load. I have raced in a 6speed vette and I set the ebrake and then revved it up to slippage and release the ebrake stomping on it when I got the last yellow lit up.

It is all up to you and how your tranny can handle what load on it.

Gas ammount depends on the weight ratio that your car has. I use very little in my car filling up about a 1/8 tank with premium then fill another 1/4 with race gas. Other probe guys prolly will better answer this than I.

Get some 15's or pick up some 17" drag radials. I use on my Impala 15's with slicks or 17's and drag radials. Just depends on the trak conditions.

If you use DR 's avoid the VHT. Unless you have a bad traction problem.

Guages. The more the better in my opinion to monitor N2O levels also want to get a blanket to warm the bottle. have as many fail safe switches as possible. Also do NOT let anyone else install your N2O even if it takes you longer. Do IT RIGHT. Trust no one with this. I have seen way too many people have issues with other peoples installs. I personally have not had an issue with my install. Most Racers will tell you that it is better to do it your self so you gain the knowledge on how it all works and you know all the safety proceedures.

As far a s places to fill. I will call a few buddies of mine that can locate them for you. I am in Texas and dont know where in Sac or Cali for that matter to fill at.

LunaticSS
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 18:17   #3 (permalink)

Read Re: The Wisdom of all is sought after!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rdiggidy
[B]As I prepare for my first track/racing experience (still a week or 2 away...want to get that n2o in!!) I'm looking for people's personal advice/practices on the following:

[b]Drag Racing - I would drop the pressure 5lbs from max of tire rating to the front wheels- rear wheels inflate to max pressure. If that still produced two much wheel spin drop 5more lbs. SoloII - Add 7lbs over max rating and drop 3 lbs in rear if your pushing too much[\b]

[b]Drag Racing or SoloII - its a feel thing with your clutch. try 3000 then adjust from their[\b]

[b] Dont go with less than 1/4 tank [\b]

*Shift Points??

[b] Drag racing - 700 before redline. it takes that long before you move for the lever and your feet move the clutch in and you get in the next gear. it also will help you not to over rev your engine and weaken your daily driver. - SoloII - Hold your revs as long as possible and only go into third if your really good at heal to toe down shifting[\b]

[b]Drag Racing - You can, sure. SoloII - you are governed by class[\b]

A few side questions:

Gauges needed - Oil Pressure - Water Temperature - Tach - Voltage- nos pressure-[\b] Add an amp gauge on older cars

toodles,
Stacey_B

#526 STSL SCCA MEMBER/ Driver - Come get some!
Racy-Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 18:25   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

Alot of that depends on waht you want your times to mean. When I go I dont do anything special to my car. I want that time to be as realistic in 'real life' as possible. I dont even usualy take out the trash from my car.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 20:30   #5 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Just FYI my times are only different by 3 tenths with slicks over regular and 2 tenths difference with DR's over regular.

W/O juice 11.29 on street tires
W/O juice 11.13 on DR's
W/O juice 11.06 on Slicks
W juice 10.52 on slicks
W juice 10.74 on DR's
W juice 10.86 on regular street tires

You decide one what you want to run. If you want the best then go with slicks. If you want to go have fun and see what the car can do...then go on street tires. Ifyou are making a full blown streetable racer then do it right.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 10:05   #6 (permalink)
Resident Genius

*Tire pressure - 22psi Front, 36 rear

*Launch RPM - about 3100RPM, slip the clutch fast while trying to avoid spinning the tires - this technique needs to be practiced and will depend from car to car (tires/clutch type,etc). Street practices don't really work - the track is much slicker, so conditions will be different.

*Weight makes a HUGE difference on the KL-O3 - get there with a quarter tank or less. I use 92 octane gas from Unocal 76.

* Shift points - 1-2 @ 7,000rpm, 2-3 @ 7,100rpm, 3-4 @ 7,100rpm. DON'T hit the rev limiter (around 7,800rpm). DON'T powershift. DON'T speedshift. Blowing your tranny for an extra 0.1 seconds is not worth it :)

* Get some el-cheapo lightweight wheels that you can put some drag radials on - if you don't put drag radials or slicks, then don't bother getting 15s. There is nothing you can do about VHT - the track officials wil spray it randomly. Then you have the occasional import idiot (usually in an Integra) with street tires going through the water box and doing a half-assed burnout with one wheel only and putting down lots of water in the launch area....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: - just do your best to go around the water. If you get drag radials or slicks, go through the water box and do a good burnout (off the nitrous!) to warm up the tires. With street tires (your 17s) go around the box - you can chirp the tires once or twice to clean them up a bit, but no extensive burnout is necessary - you just waste your tires and heat up the clutch unnecessarily.

*Personally I don't like running another N2O line into the cabin for the pressure gauge (but it's just personal preference - my next install will have the bottle behind the driver seat, so it's irrelevant :) - get a bottle heater (a MUST in order to get full performance from a bottle).

* You can get your bottle filled at Tognottis (I personally don't like to do it there) - I do it at the Kragen Auto parts store on Del Paso Blvd and El Camino - they are an authorized nitrous re-filler, and they will freeze the bottle for you before filling it to get max fill (they'll need the bottle for about 3 hours).

Hope this helps :D

Side question - what kind of paint did you use on the VC/IM? Like what brand and where you got it?

95 Probe GT - the 007 version - smooth and refined.
Dan [Sac] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 11:39   #7 (permalink)
Mazda MX6 Member

Dupli-Color is the name of the High Temp paint I used and I got it at Auto Zone. They BY FAR had the best sellection of colors (better than Kragen, Pep Boys etc) and are the ONLY ones that carried that brand in Primer and Clear Coat (high temp of course).

So if you've got one in your area I'd try Auto Zone first.

What color where you planning on doing??

Gotta love the "grabber-green"

Greddy Exhaust, Custom CAI, K&N, Vitek Wires, NGK Plugs, Neon Green Hose Tech Kit, Neon Green Manifold and VC's, Pheno's, TSW 17" VX1 Rims, Low Profile Tires, Custom Switch Pannel, Black Lights, Pioneer Day Night Deck, and(Ready to be installed) NOS Kit 5122 and Walbro 255!! (Walbor's in...now it's TIME for the juice :D)

Old 09-05-2001, 16:32   #8 (permalink)
Resident Genius

I was thinking of a light blue to match the exterior. If I can't find anything I like, I'll just chrome/polish the things :D

Old 09-06-2001, 12:00   #9 (permalink)
Mazda MX6 Member

are you painting your car the light blue it was before?? If so I'm pretty sure they have a color that's close (maybe a little darker)

Good luck!!

Old 09-08-2001, 00:18   #10 (permalink)
Resident Genius

Actually, I decided to paint the manny a gunmetal gray or graphite color. Same with both valve covers, and whatever else is metallic in the engine bay....high-temp + clear coat - I hope they have that color :D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum