10 Easy Steps to colour coding your E-series door handles. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2004, 06:13   #1 (permalink)
Finnaly back

10 Easy Steps to colour coding your E-series door handles.

Sorry for the repost guys (and girls, if any)
I just realised maybe I should have posted this in here since it is E-series and not the pub, just a little write up on the above.

10 Easy Steps to colour coding your E-series door handles.

comments welcome

1 of 10 Fords
Chad_XF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2004, 16:31   #2 (permalink)
2.77 is a tall ratio :S

Re: 10 Easy Steps to colour coding your E-series door handles.

sounds good mate. I have been wanting to do this for a long time now, lets see those before and after photos like the people in the other forums have said. Also how can you get an exact match to your colour?

1989 EA Fairmont Ghia 3 speed -cd player, xh snorkle, king springs, KYB shocks, tranny cooler, thermo fans, ef radiator

ATPS Member
smut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 16:56   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Just take your fuel filler cover off and head on down to autobahn, super cheap or something. Browse the spray cans and find the best match.

Or if you have some shitty colour no one makes cans for like me, find someone with a compressor, go into a paint store with said fuel cover and get a tin mixed up.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 18:08   #4 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

you will need to get paint mixed especialy if you have metalic paint as its faiding is more notisable than a flat colour.

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 23:38   #5 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

Top work there mate. Another one for the tech pages :)

Although the process wasn't so simple for me for some stupid reason. Removal and dismantling of the handles was no issue. The painting was a nightmare. The ol' crate is platinum silver, a metallic. Firstly I tried just using plastic primer, then the colour coat, then clear coat. Of course the bloody texture of the handle showed through, so that was failed attempt #1.

Second time I tried sanding the handles back first till they were smooth, which took forever and wasn't very effective. Failed attempt #2.

Third time I used spray putty, which worked well, and was easier to sand and smooth out. Although I didn't notice there were still a few scratches and little gouges in it, you couldn't see it in the putty. I was using paint from spray cans, I can't bloody think of the brand off the top of my head though, supposed to be good stuff anyway. Everytime I sprayed it on, no matter how I did it, the paint applied would never be smooth. So after several attempts at sanding it back again and reapplying the paint and being unsuccessful, I said stuff it and I absolutely drowned them in paint. Like full on gave really thick coats, and in the end it turned out almost perfect. After it dried, I applied the clear coat a little more gently, and the end result is pretty good provided you don't look right up close otherwise you'll see the imperfections :)

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 15:59   #6 (permalink)

The Goodz:
I think your main problem was that you weren't using the correct sandpaper when you sanded back the handles.

With the spray putty, you should only have to use a very fine sandpaper (like 400 wet'n'dry, or 800 dry), and assuming you sprayed it properly, you should only have to sand it back a little.

Also does the spray putty have an etch primer in it? If not, have you used an etch primer before applying the paint?
If you haven't you may notice the paint begin to chip off slightly later down the track, as the etch primer enables the paint to "grip" onto the surface.

With the paint not being applied smoothly, have you tried applying one layer, then after it dries, using a very fine sandpaper to smooth it out, then applying another layer, waiting for it to dry, then smoothing it out with sandpaper, and continuing for a couple more layers, (not too much, because you don't want to make the paint too thick), and then applying your clear coat. (BTW the paint layer is supposed to be less than paper thin).
FoxMulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 17:02   #7 (permalink)

mixing paints... ARGH
i got a paint place to mix some paint for me (according a touchup bottle that i got when my car was sprayed a month ago) and it was so far off that i'm very pissed off with em, shall be taking it back to get the right colour!
make sure you check the colour Directly, don't trust them mixing the colour, check it once its been done. i thought they coudlnt' get it wrong
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:31   #8 (permalink)
Finnaly back

Thats the beauty about stark white....its just white, its common and other whites look like it, Ill have a few before and after pics by the weekend prob.
be working on the XF tomorrow.

1 of 10 Fords
Chad_XF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 15:09   #9 (permalink)
2.77 is a tall ratio :S

sounds good....make sure the pics are close ups to show the detail

1989 EA Fairmont Ghia 3 speed -cd player, xh snorkle, king springs, KYB shocks, tranny cooler, thermo fans, ef radiator

ATPS Member
smut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 03:24   #10 (permalink)
wants a manual!

i used holts dupliclour when i painted my EF door handles stark white they have got a whole range of colours for most popular cars. you need to apply a fair few coats of paint in those pressure packs because the have alot of thinners in them so they are very watery like coats. i think i had to do about 7 or 8 before i got rid of the transpericy of the paint. came up alright in the end but unfortunatly i got an orange peel finish but you cant tell from a distance. the further away you stand from them the better they look :)
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub