19" wheels - do Ford need these? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2001, 14:53   #1 (permalink)

19" wheels - do Ford need these?

As most of you are aware the GTS Commodore has 19" wheels as an option, do you think the Ford should have these too?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2001, 15:00   #2 (permalink)
Soon to become: Jake_XR6

Big wheels make a car look tough.
BLACK XR6-VCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 15:06   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Looks good i know, but do they perform, i mean even 18's are border lining of looks to performance. Not to mention the $$$ on tyres.

I think ford should concentrate the dosh on else where instead of 19's.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 15:09   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

Well,

IF you want to stuff bigger and bigger brakes then I guess 19" wheels are necessary.

I would be thinking though in the GTS's case its just to look cool and 19's certainly fit the bill.

I guess if Ford wants to play the "me too" game and it certainly will to make sure it doesn't look like its skimping on specs then we might just be seeing 19's as an option on the T-series.

The problem is Ford has no real answer to the GTS or the other high end 300 KW HSVs so its a battle they have yet to take up to Holden.
TheBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 15:12   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY
Looks good i know, but do they perform, i mean even 18's are border lining of looks to performance. Not to mention the $$$ on tyres.

I think ford should concentrate the dosh on else where instead of 19's.
18's are getting cheaper all the time and it probably won't be long before we stat seeing them on all XR's I would think. The more 18's used the cheaper they get as well.

Even little cars like lasers are coming out with 16's as standard so 17's will eventually become the standard with 18's on performance cars. I am just speculating mind you but I am sure it'll happen.
Old 12-18-2001, 15:17   #6 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

19" are cool..............................

PROVIDED tyre diameter also goes up to around 27"- 28".
Super-Low profiles on street cars is STUPID!
I drive on REAL roads not racetracks, I want 4"-5" of sidewall height.

Say something like 245/50/19 would be fine. Of course Ford might want to do something about the wheel arches to accomodate these.
Old 12-18-2001, 15:17   #7 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBow
Well,

IF you want to stuff bigger and bigger brakes then I guess 19" wheels are necessary.

You dont NEED 19's to fit the bigger brakes in... they fit fine in 17's.

Seriously... I wouldnt go bigger than 17's now.. 18's aren't really designed for use on REAL roads (or race tracks), so I can only imagine that 19's would be worse...

(I have lost count of the number of times I have had a flat after going over a pot hole, fractured tyres, etc etc... only buckles rim once though)
Old 12-18-2001, 15:33   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by XR8chic

You dont NEED 19's to fit the bigger brakes in... they fit fine in 17's.

Seriously... I wouldnt go bigger than 17's now.. 18's aren't really designed for use on REAL roads (or race tracks), so I can only imagine that 19's would be worse...

(I have lost count of the number of times I have had a flat after going over a pot hole, fractured tyres, etc etc... only buckles rim once though)
I meant for really, really big brakes but I agree 17's are way large enough.

I was thinking of going for 18's on the ute but your above comments make much sense and I'm sticking with the standard tickfords on mine.

I can remeber when everyone had fairly small diameter rims with mega fat tyres. I was talking to a guy who used to own a A9X torana who who 13x10's on the front and 13x12's on the rear!
Old 12-18-2001, 15:41   #9 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

I don't think we need 19's, there was all sorts of wearing problems on the HSV and they were actually withdrawn for a while. I don't think many people would want to pay such huge tyre replacement costs either :dead:
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 15:42   #10 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

If you have a good suspension setup, then I see no problems with the 19" 's.

I've found my car handled considerably than better than standard, since I changed to 18" and upgraded the suspension. No loss in ride comfort either.

I always have believed that tyres are for traction, it's the suspensions job to smooth out the ride.

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub

Related Reading: 19" wheels - do Ford need these?