200% increase in complaints on the NSW fine enforcement process - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2003, 01:35   #1 (permalink)

Read 200% increase in complaints on the NSW fine enforcement process

This was in todays release of the NSW Ombudsmans report.

http://www.ombo.nsw.gov.au/news_medi...ia_release.htm

Quote:
NSW Ombudsman’s 2002-2003 Annual Report
The fine enforcement process

Complaints to the Ombudsman about the State Debt Recovery Office (SDRO) and the Infringement Processing Bureau (IPB) rose by nearly 200% last year. The Ombudsman, Bruce Barbour said the complaints identified a number of serious concerns about fine enforcement. Issues about the conduct of the IPB included:

The IPB referring matters to SDRO before properly considering the legislative criteria, most importantly, whether the fine had already been paid.
Processing delays resulting in
the IPB being forced to cancel infringement notices
individuals being denied access to the legal system
the undermining of consistent and reliable fine enforcement.
Telephone waiting times of up to 90 minutes.
6 months wait for a response to written appeals.
3-4 months wait for a refund of payments.
Poor information and customer service, including confusing recorded telephone advice, incorrect advice and multiple reminder notices for a single offence.
Failure by the IPB to consider evidence provided by complainants, resulting in appeals being inappropriately rejected. The person then has no other option but to have the matter determined by a court. This means the whole point of the review process, to minimise the need to use courts, is frustrated.
‘Although the IPB has made some attempt to address individual concerns, we believe the broader issues require further attention’ Mr Barbour said.

‘We have also raised matters with the SDRO in the past, particularly about attempting to recover money that has already been paid or attempting to recover money from the wrong person. The SDRO took some action at the time to fix these problems. We are pleased to note the SDRO has introduced new procedures to resolve complaints about very old matters. We will continue to monitor this situation to ensure the effectiveness of the new procedures’

See case study 9, page 32 of Annual Report for more examples of fine enforcement matters deal with by the Ombudsman.
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2003, 03:11   #2 (permalink)
goooone

Re: 200% increase in complaints on the NSW fine enforcement process

I deal with the IPB frequently & they are hopeless IMO but they have reasently been changed from being run by the police to the Office of State Revenue (how appropriate) so hopefully they can fix things up.
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:22   #3 (permalink)

yeah SDRO and POLICE PROCESSING DEPARTMENT needs reviewing i got 28K's worth in nsw fines yet they find only 8k's worth get mine mixed with my dads as we have the same name,i find sdro a rip off bunch of tossers who as stated leave you on hold forever,its totally unacceptable..

and they took my licence from me (nsw)cause the courts who i was paying it to changed over to SDRO and SDRO breached that contract and made me pay the xtra costs associated with that..
cars are a lethal weapon,your not invinsible when you get into one,and no matter how much skill you think you have,you are never in control you are always on the edge of death it may not happen today but if you keep driving like you do,you too will end up dead!
hoon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:40   #4 (permalink)
Serving Defect #3

Geez, maybe it's finally getting thru
fordfan351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 05:06   #5 (permalink)
XR82GO

Yeah well i dont know if I am the only one seeing it but it might pay for everyone that gets a ticket to complain if they have resonable cause. Looks like the system is about to get a boot up the backside.

ABOUT BLOODY TIME

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:57   #6 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoon69
yeah SDRO and POLICE PROCESSING DEPARTMENT needs reviewing i got 28K's worth in nsw fines yet they find only 8k's worth get mine mixed with my dads as we have the same name

Are you serious ? $28,000 in fines !?!
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub