2003 Magna???What can we expect? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2003, 19:26   #1 (permalink)
HSV eater

2003 Magna???What can we expect?

I heard a long while ago that Mitsubishi was going to start producing 4 cylinder Magnas again, but with the Nimbus' 2.4 litre engine in the TJ series, yet I havent heard any of this since then. It would be e a good idea considering the V6's thirst. Perhaps with the facelift due mid year, it will bring the 4cylinder model also, maybe even with AWD, and hopefully the Ralliart and VR-X will also have it.
Wheels said that a 200kW turbo AWD Magna is on the way, but this my become the Ralliart Magna if Mitsubishi decides to make the 180kW engine standard to combat Ford ( a smart desicion).
AWD would have to become standard on the wagons, rto deal with the cross over vehicles ont eh way from Ford and Holden, but perhaps they would need to adopt IRS first ( the wagons dont have it).
These are my prediction(s). If any one alse has any information regarding the new Magna, please post it.
What else should the Magna adopt if if Mitsubishi ws ts it to be a player in the large car sector?

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2003, 19:29   #2 (permalink)
HSV eater

I hope Mitsubishi adopts a V8, like the ones they use in the Japanese vehicles, or at lwast produce a credible sub 250 kW car to compete with the GT's/ HSV's.
Old 01-19-2003, 19:33   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

2003 release will be much the same. Except 4wd models (auto only).. Some refinements.

180Kw engine will nodoubt one day head down to the VRX and sport models, this will help combat added weight on awd models. 163kw engines will become base. 200 Kw AWD Rallyart will I guess eventually appear when they have a 4wd manual transmission.

The 2005 model is the big one.. Mitsubishi will finally be able to take it to the fences of Ford and Holden. Long wheel base models, awd. Slightly bigger engine or maybe new heads.. (mivec? or GDI?)
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 22:21   #4 (permalink)
goooone

Another car that everyone should avoid at all possible costs
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 22:47   #5 (permalink)

Re: 2003 Magna???What can we expect?

Quote:
Originally posted by FalconIV
I heard a long while ago that Mitsubishi was going to start producing 4 cylinder Magnas again, Thanks
I didn't even know they stoped producing 4 cyl magna's. I thought that only the high models got the V6.

And the V6's don't drink much fuel do they? Wouldn't be anymore than a falcon/commodore would it?
Old 01-20-2003, 00:49   #6 (permalink)

Hey the Mitsubishi 3000GT uses the magna platform. I wonder if this engine would fit into the engine bay of an AWD magna? If only I had the time and money *sigh*

I can only dream...

But back to the topic, the AWD magna might be a good car to drive if only they fix the dead boring interior, but not as bad as the camry. The Mitsu V6 in the VRX is a lovely engine coupled with AWD it might lure some people.
Old 01-20-2003, 00:50   #7 (permalink)

BTW if magna goes back to the 4cyl days...then you can kiss Mitsubishi Australia goodbye.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:02   #8 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

SO are these Magnas going to be AWD or 4WD? Same with the Falcon crossover, AWD or 4WD?
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:15   #9 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Mitsub will not and I repeat WILL NOT PRODUCE AN AWD RALLYART MANUAL MAGNA, OR INDEED ANY AWD NA MAGNA.

Wont fit. AWD system is capable with auto only due to its size, plus it has less power than the standard v6 not because of the transmission but due to the shortening/size reduction of the exhaust system to fit it has left it with less kw than before, much in the same way the Ls300 has 10kw less power than the gs300 due to the same reason.

True they could turbo it, but Im not sure if it would fit a front mount intercooler. Plus then they would have to strengthen/change gear-ratios etc.

I seriously doubt they will do much, just a nip and tuck. With most of their R&D money being spent on the upcomming 2005 magna split (LWB and XLWB to go against commo/statesman.falcon/fairlane) they wont pour millions on a model on the way out. Also, with rallyart beginning a series of "no shows" for the wrc events, I cant really see them trying to push the evo/magna as "rally art". I Think mitsub Aust will be too busy playing with their airteck to notice.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:09   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
SO are these Magnas going to be AWD or 4WD? Same with the Falcon crossover, AWD or 4WD?
I thought magnas were AWD and the E265 was 2WD and AWD varients. But I could be wrong.

I thought 4WD systems are only reserved for those cars similar to patrols/landcruisers...again I could be wrong.:s3
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub