2004 ford or holden - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2002, 23:09   #1 (permalink)
Mercury Silver XR6t owner

2004 ford or holden

So who thinks ford are going to be out done buy holdens 2004 model? In wheels they say their new V6 could end up producing 200kw. compared with our 182 this will give holden a win in the power department.
I personally think that holden will beat us in power, but do people really care about that. the only reason the vt/vx was outselling our au was due to the looks.
OwnaXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2002, 23:22   #2 (permalink)
Phantom XR6T

A while ago one of the magazines (wheels or motor) had a "leaked" document full of power targets for the HFV6. While the 3.6 Litre was 190 kw as stated by Wheels magazine they also had the 3.8 as being a lower power with less revs but with more torque. From memory they were quite close to BA Falcon outputs. This would make more sence considering that what they are going to be building is a big family car while the 3.6 was going to be for a European car (I think a alfa romao but I could be wrong) The most powerful engine in the lineup was a 3.2 turbo with 270kw but Holden are saying that they won't use it, I guess that depends on how well the XR6 Turbo goes hey.
There is no doubt that the new Holden engine is going to be powerful and it could well be more powerful than the Barra 182 but I doubt to the extent to which wheels are making out. Surely in the interests of fuel economy and cost of the engine they won't make a 200kw base model. Having said that if you were told that the next base Falcon engine would be 182kw 2 years ago would you have belived it?
Old 12-01-2002, 23:22   #3 (permalink)

It would be hard to say at such an early stage. However, I must admit the next Commodore reads quite well. The HFV6 should be a ripper. But Ford isn't going to sit around doing nothing for the next few years. I'm sure the Falcon will be every bit as good.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 23:28   #4 (permalink)
FF Moderator

This is 2004, the 182kW BA is in 2002!! The BA gets an upgrade by then and a more rev happy, 200kW I6 from Ford should be a walk in the park if relevant.

It has also been mentioned on LS1 from an announcement from Holden that the new Holden 6 will NOT be in a 'Commodore' until 2005-06. The first versions of the engine in 2004 will go overseas. Same goes for the Gen 4.

Believe me, the guys on LS1 were not happy campers.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 23:32   #5 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

I have heard of a new Ford V6 ('Cyclone' is the code name I think).
In 3.5L guise it delivers 250hp (187kw), this could be the rumoured V6 for the next Falcon if they ditch the I6.
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 23:43   #6 (permalink)
Mercury Silver XR6t owner

Tongue

I heard the 2004 commadore is getting the new V6 as well as a new transmission, suposably the same as the BA has. Even if holden does get these upgrades by 2004 we have better suspension steering and nothing will excuse the uglyness of that rear end YUK.......
OwnaXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 00:20   #7 (permalink)

I heard that in late 2003 the VY II will come out with the new V6 and the new 5 speed auto.
redwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 00:48   #8 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Yeah, well none of that even COMPARES to what I heard. I heard Commodores are not as good as Falcons and are not as Australian as Falcons. Unlike everything else I heard, this I beleive.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 01:40   #9 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Let's keep things in perspective. If the VE doesn't put on 100kg+ over the VY I'll eat my hat! No doubt it will be a substantially better bit of gear than VY (and it should be), but it will have teething problems of its own as well.

Don't get hung up on "vapourware" guys, look at what is here and now.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:53   #10 (permalink)
goooone

I'm sure the DOHC 4L still has plenty of room for increases in power especially if they play with the VCT but in the mean time lets live in the present it's easy to say could gonna whatever as it stands we have the superior package& lets celabrate the fact
PS having less power in base form never hurt the sales of the VT did it
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub