Re: The 3rd Annual Nigerian Email Conference
the SMH did a great article on these scams about a year ago.
Its funny to read - some people get suckered big time.
The general progression is:
1. Hit your for 3-5,000 (to organise new accounts etc)
2. Hit you for 10-15,000 (need a laywer to setup the legal transfer)
3. 50,000 (need chemicals to fix the money (had to smuggle it out in a reversible dyed state)
4. 200,000+ (oops ! need more chemicals)
Eventually some people work it out and go to Nigeria to meet the people when problems ensue, usual end result:-
1. Go to nigeria,
2. Have all your personal valuable and passports etc stolen
3. Wind up dead.
The article had some guy who point blank refused to believe the FBI, who were telling him he had been scammed out of US$250,000
Last edited by XR8 Lamah; 10-19-2003 at 23:23.