40 zone abuse. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2004, 07:46   #1 (permalink)

40 zone abuse.

Do you guys get abused when you slow down to 40 for the permanent 40 zones? I get yelled at, tailgated, people comming up behind me at 60 and braking at the last second I even get people overtaking me on double lines while screaming out their window. A lot of the people I have had doing this are mothers with children in the car its so stupid. I have also seen 2 people doing 40 crash by driving straight off the road. I also saw a school zone that used to have a sign that would change from 70 to 40 at school times it had big flashing orange lights that flashed while it was school time, it was really effective and was hard to miss unlike the normal ones. Then few weeks later I go past and they have removed all the mechanical signs and the flashing lights and replaced them with 2 of the little 40 signs with the times written on them.
lizardmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2004, 15:39   #2 (permalink)
gone

Re: 40 zone abuse.

Its funny you know

When driving the Kluger I get this all the time, however in the Ts50, they dont even dare.

Alot of places in Melbourne now have the 40 flashing zone, and 90% of drivers ignore it, or make an arse of themselves trying to overtake those doing 40.

Most times its more dangerous than a 60 zone
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 17:18   #3 (permalink)
Whats traction?

My sister won't do 40 anymore unless she's stuck behind someone else because the little old laser gets about as much respect as Hans Moleman. Its just too dangerous for her to slow down, road rage is a lot more prominent in 40 zones.

The XF can get away with it though.... the windows are too dark for people behind me to see who's driving so they play the caution card!
Old 08-31-2004, 17:22   #4 (permalink)
Team Galaxy: Mad Bastard

Abuse...lol...
I just let the through, don't bother wasting time with people like that.
HOTDBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 17:28   #5 (permalink)

Yeah i've heard about this alot - my gf's mum who drives through a 40 zone every day to and from work says she has copped it 3 or 4 times.

I don't seem to have a problem, something to do with driving a landcruiser - like they think i'm going flat out anyway....

-Stu :)
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 17:32   #6 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Isn't the 40 zone supposed to make the road safer not unsafe?

All the mums in their SUV's have to get their kid's home to play PS2 and X-box.....

Interesting read in Autosalon magazine (don't laugh) where motorcyclists are finding it hard as they don't have a claock and the watch is under a glove.

I think it's time to loose the 40klm zones!!
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 17:56   #7 (permalink)

I think it's time to get rid of Steve Bracks, speed cameras, corrupt cops, Christine Nixon, 40 zones, 50 zones, teachers that are dumber than the students (Jeff Kennett tried that), put the tolerance back up to 10kph, and bring the fines where they were 5 yrs ago. Have compulsory advanced driving courses (independent from government). Life is better in this dream land....
Road toll? Will be reduced
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 19:16   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
g read in Autosalon magazine (don't laugh) where motorcyclists are finding it hard as they don't have a claock and the watch is under a glove.

I think it's time to loose the 40klm zones!!
I don't think it's much of an issue. People also complain that it's a distraction to decide if it's a school day, public holiday, school holiday etc. It's not that hard to work out; and if in doubt, do 40.

I think the 40 zones are a good idea, if not just to make people aware that care must be taken. I've driven through school zones where it's been like a TAC add four times over before i get out of it; kids chasing balls, kids running from behind cars, soccer moms in 4WD's generally not knowing how to drive.
Seriously, it's only around 500m of road.

It's going to add fifteen seconds to your trip time going 40 rather than 60 (assuming a 500m school zone- do the maths), so i don't see what the big deal is. If i have no trouble doing it, i don't see why anyone else should have a problem...

Old 08-31-2004, 19:19   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I think it's time to get rid of Steve Bracks, speed cameras, corrupt cops, Christine Nixon, 40 zones, 50 zones, teachers that are dumber than the students (Jeff Kennett tried that), put the tolerance back up to 10kph, and bring the fines where they were 5 yrs ago. Have compulsory advanced driving courses (independent from government). Life is better in this dream land....
Road toll? Will be reduced
agreed, apart from the 40 zones.
I thought it was always a 10% tolerance? That still allows for a fair margin of error (human and speedo related), but should keep the cash cameras happy pinging people who just have no regard for the limit...

Old 08-31-2004, 19:22   #10 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

I don't mind the 40kay zones..... In QLD.... The setup they had in toowoomba was great... The back streets around schools were all 40kph where as the main roads were still the same speed just with big Flashing lights warning to look for kids. I mean come on dandy road 40kays you have got to be kidding.

Cheers

Ben

Now a P6 351 LTD
White XF GHIA for sale PM me
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub