5 speed auto in BA2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2002, 06:16   #1 (permalink)
2nd car....XR6turbo

5 speed auto in BA2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the latest motor magazine, in one of the short columns on the side, it said that the BA2 will recieve a 5 speed automatic transmission, and that it is doing 6.8 seconds to 100. SOUNDS BLOODY GOOD TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
XR6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2002, 06:23   #2 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

They said "almost a second quicker than current AU Falcon." Now tell me whicj AU does 0-100 in 7.8 seconds? XR6? The Forte does it in about 8.9 seconds.

Now back to thier very optimistic 6.8 second accleration. Considering it does have 182kw, if the weight is light enough it might be possible. But the possibility of that oerformance lies within the car, I don't see how an AUTO trans could make such a performance difference.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 06:23   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

I read that too.

Would that mean 0-100 in 6.8 on the base model?
Hard to believe, but would be great if it was true...

That's 2 seconds quicker than AU (not 1)
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 06:27   #4 (permalink)
2nd car....XR6turbo

It is possible, because they are talking about the AU 1 which was actually recordered at one time for doing 8.5 seconds. The difference came with AU2 with more weight, thats when the car lost the time. I think its very possible, considering the outputs that the base BA has. And if its true that ford weigh there cars with 2 people and a full tank, i have every bit of confidence.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:47   #5 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Motor mag did predict that the VX series II Commodore would gain a 5 speed automatic, so they are not always correct. I hope this is true though, especially since Holden actually will have a 5 speeder before too long.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 07:29   #6 (permalink)
The Third Power

rumor is the 5 speed may be this
http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower...ws/press1.htm.

which is an update to the Hydra-Matic 5L40-E that appears to be used in bmw applications

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower.../apps/5l40.htm
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 15:19   #7 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Looks like its max engine size for application is only 3.3L... hehehe!
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 15:29   #8 (permalink)
The Third Power

that would be the 5L40-E not the new 5L50-E 5
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 00:27   #9 (permalink)

I would assume a 5L40E would have the same rating as a 4L40E which the Holden V6 is currently hooked up to? Will there be a 5L60E for V8s and 5L80E for big block V8s?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 00:58   #10 (permalink)
malewis42a

Guys, If you read the BTR-Auto web site, they are now owned by Ion Limited, you will see that they have made "significant progress" on a 5 speed auto and are considering development of a 6 speed :-) see this link http://www.ionlimited.com.au/news_re...asp?PageID=105
They also state that they have contracts with Ford until 2006, so obviously Ford won't wait until then before they upgrade the box. There are taxis and fleet vehicles that have been using the gearbox in field trials for several years and it is apparently going well. However, I think Ford do not want a repeat of the problems when they introduced the 4 speed in 1989 and are happy to wait and prove it fully while the Commodore still uses a 4 speed. We will definitely see a 5 speed auto in a few years, I would imagine when the new Commodore engine and gearbox is introduced and who knows, maybe a 6 speed sometime.

In regards to a 5 speed being quicker off the mark, it all depends on the ratios and the overall gearing, like any other gearbox. What is the diff ratio they will use, how low is the first gear? Remember the Commodore has a much lower first and second then the Falcon and this allows it to overcome the deficit in power and torque to the Ford and match or slighty exceed its performance and this also contributes to the Holden's poorer shift quality, particularly on kickdown . (However with an extra 30kW and 75Nm, the Barra will only show it rapidly receeding taillights to the Holden!)

If Ford and BTR use a lower first gear and/or diff and have gearing of say 8-10 km/h per 1000 rpm, rather than the present 12km/h per 1000 rpm (I think), then they can get a substantial improvement in aceleration (and towing performance) and no loss of economy.

What do you reckon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub