60 Minutes - Police car chases - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2004, 01:40   #1 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

60 Minutes - Police car chases

Anyone see this on Sunday night?
Full transcript can be found here:
http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/s...story_1068.asp

A woman on the show blames the police for her son's death, and by the way she spoke, her son did nothing wrong... The guy was driving a stolen car, he refused to stop for police, and yet she holds the police solely responsible. If the guy was obeying the laws of the land, he would be alive today...
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2004, 01:52   #2 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Re: 60 Minutes - Police car chases

Its always anyone elses fault but their own/sons/family etc. Build me a bridge and cry me a river.

Last edited by dave_au; 03-29-2004 at 02:29.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:55   #3 (permalink)
BA XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBXR
Anyone see this on Sunday night?
Full transcript can be found here:
http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/s...story_1068.asp

A woman on the show blames the police for her son's death, and by the way she spoke, her son did nothing wrong... The guy was driving a stolen car, he refused to stop for police, and yet she holds the police solely responsible. If the guy was obeying the laws of the land, he would be alive today...

I did happen to see that. I'm going to write a letter to them, because it's starting to really piss me off all this "It's the police's fault they died crap"

Why doesn't someone ask them what exactly they were doing trying to outrun cops in the first place.
What exactly did they do? It's all choice and these clowns could *choose* to stop and just go through the motions with the police. Unless they have something to be afraid of, of course.

Evyl by plate, evil by nature.
Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:59   #4 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

This is what i wrote into them after watching the segment for just 1 minute...anyway it may seem harsh but why hide my feelings...

After watching your program in particular the story regarding the police chases I knew I had to write in. I don't understand why police are being criticised all the time. They are doing their job. Someone breaks the law they have lost every right of innocence. The parents have NO RIGHT to accuse the police. If the parents were parents in the first place this would not have occurred. The criminal has many choices to NOT STEAL THE CAR, to PULL OVER when police catch them and TO SLOW DOWN. I applaud the way Christine Nixon handled the situation. Susan Lord-Milnes should have a hard look at what her son did. Would she just shrug off someone stealing her car??
Old 03-29-2004, 02:00   #5 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

I didn't see her offer to pay for the damage her son did to someone elses car, part of the reason insurance keeps on rising...
Old 03-29-2004, 02:13   #6 (permalink)
BA XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Lurker
This is what i wrote into them after watching the segment for just 1 minute...anyway it may seem harsh but why hide my feelings...

After watching your program in particular the story regarding the police chases I knew I had to write in. I don't understand why police are being criticised all the time. They are doing their job. Someone breaks the law they have lost every right of innocence. The parents have NO RIGHT to accuse the police. If the parents were parents in the first place this would not have occurred. The criminal has many choices to NOT STEAL THE CAR, to PULL OVER when police catch them and TO SLOW DOWN. I applaud the way Christine Nixon handled the situation. Susan Lord-Milnes should have a hard look at what her son did. Would she just shrug off someone stealing her car??
Good letter !

I wrote this...

Why not take responsibility for the boys actions?
The police did not make the boy steal a car. The police did not make him try to outrun the police.
They did their job, to try and apprehend criminals in the process of a crime.

Put the blame where it is due. To the ones that were doing something illegal and chose not to take responsibility for that, and instead, chose to run away at high speeds. It was their own lives in their hands, not the polices' hands.

Evyl by plate, evil by nature.
Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:57   #7 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

i dont even want to get started on this subject so ill keep it short. break the law and you pay the price. its that simple. you wanna be a 'hero' then you get everything you deserve. i have zero sympathy for dickheads and their familys that cant take responsiblity for themselves and put blame where blame should be.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:43   #8 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH
It's always the way though, we are in large following American trends by becoming a 'blameless' society. "It's not my fault, it must be yours...and if it's not yours, it must be someone else's'. 'And if it's someone else's, I'm going to sue them'. It is obviously tragic to lose someone senselessly to a road death, let alone to a pursuit over a minor traffic offence, but let's not forget one thing, the Police NEVER instigate the pursuit, it's always the offending driver. If some of these kids realise the danger they put themselves and others in, they might have a second thought about it. But I am sure there's lots of you guys here would admit, if you are completely honest with yourselves, it's a buzz to 'drag', you're a hero to your mates if you win the drag and even better should you get into a pursuit with the cops. Let me tell from experience as an ex-copper who has been involved in a number of pursuits...it AIN"T fun. No job in the world is worth risking my life or someone else's for a speeding ticket or less. I have been in chases through suburban streets at peak hour and believe me, I was shitting myself. And I am not afraid to admit, there have been many times I have made the choice not to pursue cos I was afraid to under the circumstances. If some dickhead wants to kill himself, he ain't taking me with him. I feel very sorry for the families who lose kids in this way, but let the blame lay where it should initially.
Well said mate, you should send this to 60 min's.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 04:06   #9 (permalink)
.au member

A lot of very valid, sensible points being raised here. Let's get as many of them sent in to shows like Sunrise, Today and 60 Minutes as we can. Im sure if I was a cop and read some of the stuff being posted here I'd be glad to know some of the people I'm putting my life on the life for, day in day out, still do actually have a brain and a bit of common sense.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:13   #10 (permalink)

I've sent them my views

.........It is a tragedy that these boys died young. But the cold hard facts are these boys are responsible for their own demise. For Susan Lord-Milnes to say it's the fault of the police for chasing someone who had committed a criminal offence, then tried to evade police at high speed is ludicrous. Not only were these boys putting themselves at risk, but the police and other road users as well. If her son didn't steal the car, or pulled over when ordered to do do by the police, he most likely would be alive today. The person to blame is her son, the driver of the stolen car - period. It's people like her son that make other's lives much harder when they steal an innocent person's car. It makes every car owner's life harder when they get yet another premium increase because of car thieves.

If only Susan Lord-Milnes could see it more like Jason Spalding did. At least he had the guts to accept some of the blame, despite only being a passenger. There are laws against stealing cars, there are laws against unlicenced driving and there are laws against failing to pull over when ordered to do so by the police. They are there for the protection of the people and their property. Unfortunately, 5 of the 6 boys mentioned are no longer with us for breaking those laws.

I completely disagree with Susan Lord-Milnes' attitude to police pursuits. In Victoria, 24 deaths occured as a result of police pursuits over 2 years. But letting criminals, unlicensed and drunk drivers go because they won't stop would most likely result in more deaths. If police give up the chase too easily, none of these offenders will be caught as they know the pursuit will end if they stick it out for a bit. So these offenders are free to continue being a danger to the public. Susan Lord-Milnes wants there to be no police pursuits at all, but what does she propose the police do to apprehend criminals?

I propose following the tactics of other countries, Overseas, more aggressive tactics are used to apprehend people that won't pull over. The police assemble a team and box the driver in forcing it to stop. Another tactic is to ram the car to force it to lose control, hopefully bringing the car to rest and apprehending the offender. I would rather see 1 car thief's life lost through these tactics than see the car thief who, in many cases isn't qualified to drive in the first place - and an innocent family driving in their car die as a result of a collision after a pursuit was called off. Of course, it would be better for nobody to get hurt.

The police hierarchy have come under fire for some of their policies on road safety, but pursuing offenders at speed should not be one of them. A police unit giving chase will have lights and sirens on, to warn other road users of a hazard. A speeding stolen car left to itself after a pursuit is called off does not offer such warning

It's unfortunate that some people in our society see the perpetrators of crime as the victims simply because they paid a fatal price. Susan Lord-Milnes' son should have accepted he did the wrong thing, pulled over and paid the penalty for his mistakes. Instead he took a risk to avoid arrest and killed himself and two of his mates. In the end he chose to pay the ultimate penalty for his actions. His passengers didn't have the luxury of that choice.

Last edited by pauljh74; 03-29-2004 at 05:19.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub