7 speed auto - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2004, 18:54   #1 (permalink)

7 speed auto

mercedes has made a 7 speed auto transmission, well f#@k me we have a 5 speed auto now and all it does is change gears every few seconds, infact we have almost burnt out 4 gear and the cars only 4 yrs old with 70k on the speedo, they want 5 k to replace and they cant adjust or repair. does anyone know of a transmission place who works on mercedes?

Old 12-04-2004, 21:43   #2 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

Re: 7 speed auto

they have done well

although the honza jazz with its CVT actually has 7 forward gears in it as well, which the people who did the road test didnt even know it had until they felt it change

i would say take it back to mercedes in brissy firstly and see what they have to say about the gears stuffing up

chris
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 23:41   #3 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

The Mercedes 7-Speed is a Manumatic isn't it? Like the SMGIII in the M5. Its a sequential manual transmission with an automatic mode. Manumatic is the way of the future IMO.. shifts so much faster and better then a conventional manual or conventional auto.. it'd be perfect for pretty much every motorsport on Earth. A properly programmed manumatic can change gears in 0.5 sec, possibly even less, so it can be used in Drag Racing. They already use them in F1... so there's proof that they're well suited to circuit racing. The only downside at the moment is expense. BMW's SMGIII can only take a puny 520Nm (384lb/ft) of torque.. and the transmission costs... alot. Merc's Manumatic should be good though.. since its going in cars like SL55 AMG (700Nm [517lb/ft]), SL65 AMG (1000Nm [738lb/ft]) etc.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:32   #4 (permalink)
rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The Mercedes 7-Speed is a Manumatic isn't it? Like the SMGIII in the M5. Its a sequential manual transmission with an automatic mode. Manumatic is the way of the future IMO.. shifts so much faster and better then a conventional manual or conventional auto.. it'd be perfect for pretty much every motorsport on Earth. A properly programmed manumatic can change gears in 0.5 sec, possibly even less, so it can be used in Drag Racing. They already use them in F1... so there's proof that they're well suited to circuit racing. The only downside at the moment is expense. BMW's SMGIII can only take a puny 520Nm (384lb/ft) of torque.. and the transmission costs... alot. Merc's Manumatic should be good though.. since its going in cars like SL55 AMG (700Nm [517lb/ft]), SL65 AMG (1000Nm [738lb/ft]) etc.
But they make every driver out there look like Michael Shumaker, and probably every driver using them think they are him too. A big wank factor IMO, gimme a real manual anyday.

As far as I know, SMG don't have a TQ, so it is classed as a manual, even though it's missing the third pedal. I thought the Merc ones did have a TQ, and manumatic was just another wankey name given to tiptronic by another maker(geez, there would be over 10 different names for tiptronic, or what ever its called), so they would be classed as an auto?
Ahh, ****ed if I know
rwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:41   #5 (permalink)

mercedes at brisbane want 5 k to replace, no adjustments can be made and they dont carry bands or clutch kits , maybe i just import a box or complete kompresser donk and box from overseas.
Old 12-05-2004, 13:43   #6 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwd
But they make every driver out there look like Michael Shumaker, and probably every driver using them think they are him too. A big wank factor IMO, gimme a real manual anyday.

As far as I know, SMG don't have a TQ, so it is classed as a manual, even though it's missing the third pedal. I thought the Merc ones did have a TQ, and manumatic was just another wankey name given to tiptronic by another maker(geez, there would be over 10 different names for tiptronic, or what ever its called), so they would be classed as an auto?
Ahh, ****ed if I know
Manumatic's are a different thing to a Tiptronic auto all together. They're primarily manual shifted (either by steering wheel paddles, or by a shifter on the console), but have an automatic mode if you desire it. Ferrari has them (360 Modena F1, 612 Scaglietti... was even on the 355 Berlinetta F1). Maserati has them on the new Quatroporte. BMW has them on the E46 M3 and new M5.

Call a manumatic a 'wank factor' all you want, it outperforms pretty much any other tranny in every way you can think of. People who like conventional manuals would like the SMG's console shift option BMW have made. Ferrari stick to paddle shift. Not sure what Merc's going to do.
Old 12-05-2004, 22:11   #7 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

dodge, have you given some trans speciallists a try to see if they will touch it with a barge pole? Surely they can't make it worse... From what you've described it sounds like either a minor/straightforward basic mechanical failure or an electronics/ecu problem.

Last edited by outback_ute; 12-05-2004 at 22:23.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:28   #8 (permalink)

no just need new clutches, the box in the car was designed to do a smooth shift, merc always had a harsh shift up till 90's cars the new car slide thru gears and this causes clutches to wear, the parts are cheap, but nobody want to do it. i will order parts from malasia and do it over xmas break.
Old 12-06-2004, 20:35   #9 (permalink)
rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Manumatic's are a different thing to a Tiptronic auto all together. They're primarily manual shifted (either by steering wheel paddles, or by a shifter on the console), but have an automatic mode if you desire it. Ferrari has them (360 Modena F1, 612 Scaglietti... was even on the 355 Berlinetta F1). Maserati has them on the new Quatroporte. BMW has them on the E46 M3 and new M5.
So basically its like tiptronic but with paddles or buttons instead?
Pretty much the same thing then, going from a BA Falcon anyway.
BMWs one is different than them, but posers that buy them wouldn't know the difference so I suppose thats alright then.
rwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 03:25   #10 (permalink)
A Ford Guy

Interestingly, it has 7 forward gears and 2 reverse!

Jimbo
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub