87 in a 70 zone.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2003, 05:18   #1 (permalink)
Cyclone Pilot

87 in a 70 zone..

After seeing the title of this post, most may have gathered that I have received a fine for doing 87kph in a 70 zone..

Here's the scenario:

Driving home from work at 11pm..

Driving on a deserted 3 lane road (which, by the way, used to be an 80 zone), 2 cops were hiding in the bushes with hairdryers half way down the road..

I was not intentionally speeding (but having a 2L Turbo with 15psi on tap, it can be quite easy to edge over the limit) and, as stated before, was doing 17kph over the limit..

Now, if I was endangering, or potentially endangering people's lives, I would be more than happy to pay a fine, but come on, on a deserted piece of road at 11pm - it's pretty bulls**t having to piss $218 of my money into the government coffers..

Remember everyone - speed kills (your weekly paycheck...)
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2003, 05:28   #2 (permalink)

Which road,used to live in Adelaide,just curious.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:32   #3 (permalink)
Dreamer

You'll survive. Probably learn to adhere to the posted speed limit, regardless of time...
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 06:19   #4 (permalink)
Cyclone Pilot

John McMaster:

It was South Road, Regency Park - for those that don't know, it is an industrial area with no houses within a 2km(ish) radius and all of the industrial places were closed 'cause it was late at night!!!

South:

I do normally stick to the posted limit...

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I prefer to drive at a speed that I'm comfortable with (be it over or under the speed limit) and look at the road ahead instead of the speedo!!!
Old 05-18-2003, 06:31   #5 (permalink)
Village Idiot

This is why i like cruise control.
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 07:48   #6 (permalink)
A shit load of Dim Sims

Quote:
Originally posted by South
You'll survive. Probably learn to adhere to the posted speed limit, regardless of time...
Speeding was probably the reason why he did survive, "lowest common denominator" speed limits kill more people due to fatique than any other factor. The rest of the world uses the 85th percentile rule to determine speed limits while Australia seems to use the 60th contibuting very healthily to our state coffers.

The "Speed Kills" propaganda runs deep in our society, exactly what the Government wants. I just read on another forum that Qld now has bill boards showing "Drink Driving and Speeding, what's the difference?"

Do you believe it?
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 12:23   #7 (permalink)
SVT Lightning Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skip
The rest of the world uses the 85th percentile rule to determine speed limits while Australia seems to use the 60th contibuting very healthily to our state coffers.
Most of the U.S. ignores the 85th percentile rule, too. Fortunately, at least on the major highways, most of the drivers ignore the speed limits. :s4

"A man who is 'of sound mind' is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key." (Paul Valery)
Jim03Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 14:31   #8 (permalink)
BSR

Whats the problem??? Its not like you were only doing a few K's over the limit. Sucked in, you got caught and now you are pissed at the Government.......................I have been to quite a few accidents in the middle of the night when the roads are deserted, you just never know.............
Anyway thanks for my morning laugh..........

12/03 FPV GT 725
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 16:14   #9 (permalink)
:::MagnaLicious:::

I recently got done for in the SA side of the stuart highway heading to adelaide for a work holiday.. 133 in a 110 zone, $218buck fine :( once again, open road, not one car in sight; i donno where they mounted the god damn' camera.. cos they didnt catch up to me until port agusta! :S i was like WTF?

the moral of the story... slow down entering SA.. but flog your way to that NT boarder! cos once your over, you can wave out the window and say 'cya-l8r!'

ill play nice, show me respect, and you will get respect in return

http://www.booyamotorsport.com < home of the 300kw gold magna!
Gold Magna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 18:28   #10 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

I'll give your point about checking the speedo all the time ( beats me how its safer around schools for me to spend 50% of my time checking the speedo rather than looking for kids, for fear of being nabbed. )

While I'm having a school zone rant, anyone else baffled by the 40 zones on penno road at normanhurst . . . Main fkn arterial road north, 100 metres from the end of an expressway, and we're supposed to go from 70 to 40 ? Despite the fact that one of the schools has NO gates or access points on the Pennant Hills Road side ?
Personally I'm terrified going 40 along there, I just know at some point I'm going to get hit . . . At that point I'm chasing the gov't for liability
Anyways, with that one, that zone don't make sense, and if they are serious, for the love of god, at least ensure people are doing it !

Anyways, revalot, I'm with xlr8, if it was a few k's I'd understand. but 17 is a fair bit ( and they usually err on the low side as well ).

Heh. papa smurf - cruise roxors :)
Anyways -

Guess who got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning ?

I wonder what would happen if everyone was good for a year or two ? Would the gov't shift policing somewhere else given the lack of revenue ?
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub