90,000 Vics to lose licence!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2003, 15:45   #1 (permalink)

90,000 Vics to lose licence!!

And Bracks thinks he will get re-elected!!

90,000 on brink of losing licence
By Darren Gray
State Editor
July 12 2003

Almost 90,000 Victorian motorists are on the brink of losing their licence because of repeated driving offences.

New VicRoads statistics, prepared for The Age, show that 76,063 motorists have accumulated nine or more demerit points in the past three years. Their licences could be suspended for at least three months if police nab them for not wearing a seatbelt, using a mobile phone while driving or failing to give way - all three-point offences.

A further 10,000 drivers are on an even sharper knife edge. They have already accrued 12 points and must drive for 12 months without further offence, or they face an automatic suspension of at least six months.

Overall, 1.54 million of the state's 3.32 million licensed vehicle users, including motorcyclists, had incurred demerit points at July 3. On top of the points, the 1.54 million motorists have paid hundreds of millions of dollars to the State Government in fines.

The demerit points system gives motorists a choice once they incur 12 points in three years. They can accept a three-month suspension and the points are wiped. Or they can keep their licence intact - but if they commit a demerit point offence in the next year they automatically lose their licence for six months.

The demerit regime was toughened significantly seven months ago. From mid-December motorists caught using a hand-held mobile phone while driving are penalised three demerit points and pay a $135 fine. Demerit point penalties on speeding motorists also rose, and points were introduced for motorists caught driving with obscured number plates.

The changes hit motorists immediately. By late June, 8757 motorists had accrued three demerit points for using a mobile phone while at the wheel.

About half of all motorists who accrue 12 points opt for the three-month licence suspension. The rest choose to try to maintain an unblemished record over the next 12 months.

VicRoads general manager of road safety, Eric Howard, urged motorists on nine points or more to abide by road rules. "You really are at risk of losing your licence; you are in danger territory once you get there," he said.

Recent demerit point statistics show the system has modified driver behaviour, he said. Over the past year 28,464 people hit 12 demerit points. Of the half who decided to keep their licence intact and abide by the law for the next year, 70 per cent went through the period without a demerit point infringement, he said.

"It's just that ability to discourage ongoing repeat offenders, that's the strength of it (the system). And we think it's really important to have it available," Mr Howard said.

Demerit points could affect a driver's mobility in a way a fine system for offences alone could not, he said.

Transport Minister Peter Batchelor said that while the 76,000 motorists on nine or more points sounded like a big number, it was only a fraction of the total of licensed drivers.

Mr Batchelor denied that traffic infringement fines were about revenue raising. "You pay the fine and you bear the pain at the time: the demerit points are intended to be a lingering reminder to do the right thing. The fines are directed towards a more immediate response, where the demerit points form part of a process of long-term change," he said.

VicRoads surveys of traffic flows had showed average traffic flow speeds had dropped in recent times, he said.

The RACV's general manager of public policy, Ken Ogden, said: "We support it (the demerit system) because we think that it's an effective deterrent. These figures can only serve to remind people that if they have demerit points they should drive more carefully."

But Dr Ogden called on the Bracks Government to abolish fines for minor speeding offences. "For low-level speeding offences it should be fully demerit points and not fines," he said.

"The community increasingly sees enforcement as being about revenue and not about road safety."

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...783356195.html
928GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2003, 16:23   #2 (permalink)
well hung

Re: 90,000 Vics to lose licence!!

Quote:
But Dr Ogden called on the Bracks Government to abolish fines for minor speeding offences. "For low-level speeding offences it should be fully demerit points and not fines," he said.
Yeah but thats 3/4 of the governments revenue gone by doing that, so to that... oh i'm sorry i forgot, it's not "revenue raising" is it Bracksy?!!.
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 18:28   #3 (permalink)
More horsepower required

We get f####d on whichever way you look at it.
Fordhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 20:44   #4 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

These days it's so easy to go over the limit. The roads are getting better (some) and cars are alot better at braking ect then they were with better tyres and ABS. Is going 51 in a 50 zone life threatening? No but 3 km over is. Is it just as safe traveling in hail as it is on a 30 degree sunny day? I was driving to Melbourne on the highway a few months ago and it absolutely pissed down rain. The overspray of cars infront meant you could only vaguely see the cat eyes on the road to know which lane you're in. Traffic basically slowed to 60. But on a good day I could very safely sit on 140km/h. It's a 4 lane highway for christ sake. I know the best way not to get caught is to not speed. But with ridiculous speed limits I'm going insane. I can't drive without constantly looking at me speedo, and I can't enjoy driving my car becasue of that reason. I don't like driving anymore for the fact that I know everytime i get on the road I run the risk of getting caught speeding. Guys who drive XR6 Turbos, FPV's or T-Series, I don't know how you guys can stand it. I mean my EL XR6 goes allright, but If i owned one of them I my liscence would be gone for sure. Like Aussie Pete said in his Leter in this months MOTOR, you can't enjoy driving performance cars anymore.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 20:56   #5 (permalink)
Movin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
I can't drive without constantly looking at me speedo, and I can't enjoy driving my car becasue of that reason. I don't like driving anymore for the fact that I know everytime i get on the road I run the risk of getting caught speeding. Guys who drive XR6 Turbos, FPV's or T-Series, I don't know how you guys can stand it. I mean my EL XR6 goes allright, but If i owned one of them I my liscence would be gone for sure. Like Aussie Pete said in his Leter in this months MOTOR, you can't enjoy driving performance cars anymore.
Couldnt agree more Mate, it's getting beyond ridiculous. For repeat offenders who continually lose points for a range of various reasons, they have no-one to blame but themselves. But having said that for someone who drives over 600km's a week the chances of getting more fines for being 3km over is higher. Not really fair imo...

As Cobra stated you spend more time looking at the darn speedo, when in fact you should be looking at the road ahead. On undulating roads you can't even use the cruise control constantly as downhill stretches cause the car to speed up, and you''re ever changing it, turning it off/on. Once again focus taken from the road ahead and onto other things.

It's getting friggin frustrating. The next election Labor can get stuffed. The bloke from Liberal is a drip, but if he changes laws to be a tad more tolerant while still keeping speeding down, he'll get my vote.
Old 07-11-2003, 22:01   #6 (permalink)
aka "Mr BURNOUTworld"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 928GTS
Almost 90,000 Victorian motorists are on the brink of losing their licence because of repeated driving offences.
Shoot me if I'm wrong, but of that 90,000 (somewhat of a small figure - *cough* bullsh!t *cough*) how many would be working, rate-paying, tax-paying, fee-paying, bill-paying, good-providing and service-providing citizens?

What's that, all of them? 90% minimum? Either way it's a lot of people out of a car, which is the primary method for attending work. Without work people can't pay bills, without bills company's cannot run, can you see the pattern forming?

The government doesn't see voters anymore, they just see walking, talking, driving wallets.

But it will backfire, oh yes it will backfire *evil chuckle*.
Old 07-11-2003, 22:59   #7 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8EHiND
Shoot me if I'm wrong, but of that 90,000 (somewhat of a small figure - *cough* bullsh!t *cough*) how many would be working, rate-paying, tax-paying, fee-paying, bill-paying, good-providing and service-providing citizens?

What's that, all of them? 90% minimum? Either way it's a lot of people out of a car, which is the primary method for attending work. Without work people can't pay bills, without bills company's cannot run, can you see the pattern forming?

The government doesn't see voters anymore, they just see walking, talking, driving wallets.

But it will backfire, oh yes it will backfire *evil chuckle*.
No the Government is spending taxpayers money on more public transport so those who have lost thier liscences won't miss out on filling up the goverments coffers as the money they dont spend on paying fines by not drving will go into paying for the use of public transport. It's a vicious cycle i tells ya!
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 23:15   #8 (permalink)

roll Re: 90,000 Vics to lose licence!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordhead
We get f####d on whichever way you look at it.
Exactly..... and I have recently heard that Bracks is soon going to put a user-tax on Vasalene because he knows we are going to be buying heaps of it well before the next elections!
SkidMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 12:02   #9 (permalink)
XR8 Mad

You know of course, that you can set your car to sound an alarm at whatever speed you want? Yep, I am talking about a feature in your AU cars (not sure about the BAs but most likely). I have set mine to automatically sound an alarm if the speed goes over 110km/hr but you can set it to 100km/hr easily!! Its that button with the 'S' surrounded by a circle...push it for at least 2 seconds (with the stereo off) and then use the Vol +/- buttons to increase the number (seen on the odometer LCD) up to whatever speed you want the thing to sound at alarm at. It tends to sound the alarm at about 1 - 2 km/hr above that number.

Has saved me many a time...
Old 07-12-2003, 12:46   #10 (permalink)

Yeah the overspeed alarm and cruise control help a lot, but how many cars are fitted with them?

I fixed the problem years ago, I moved out of the city.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub