ac cobra - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2006, 22:02   #1 (permalink)

ac cobra

Hi there, im looking at buying a ac cobra replica, the guy who is selling it knows nothing about them neither do I. he inherited the car from his uncle who past away. His uncle built the car from scratch.

It has no engine in it and I can’t seem to find the chassis number on the vehicle.

Where should i look for it and if i still cannot find one who do i speak about getting it registered.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2006, 06:29   #2 (permalink)
CaR bUfF pRoDiGy

Re: ac cobra

it depends....

1)where are you? (australia? USA? where?)

2)what kit is it? (is it a kit? or did he do it himself 100%)

3)when was it bought???

answer these questions for me, and i should be able to help you out.

im buildin a Factory Five 1965 Shelby Cobra Mk2 replica kit car. so it may be similar. i also have buddies u can talk to abou tit who have other kits.
Old 01-07-2006, 15:17   #3 (permalink)

im in australia. from what i was told it was a kit that he built not sure what kit or what type of suspension or chassis. his had the car for about 10-15 years
Old 01-07-2006, 18:31   #4 (permalink)
CaR bUfF pRoDiGy

ok in that span of years, the chassis number should be on the frame in the door-jam of the driver-side door. it may be different because of the kind of kit it is....but i would bet that its there. thats where mine is, and a lot of other kits are the same way.
Old 01-07-2006, 20:07   #5 (permalink)

and if theres nothing there what should i do??? and also is that part of the chassis or the actaull body???
Old 01-08-2006, 06:08   #6 (permalink)
CaR bUfF pRoDiGy

it son the actual fram part...where the door latch is going to go. look there but on the frame. it should be a single bar goin at an angle..if u look at it, u should see what im talkin about.

ill try and get a pic of mine for u
Old 01-08-2006, 18:15   #7 (permalink)

ok ive looked into it abit. and the car needs to meet with 2005-2006 adr requirments. So the car needs to either have a dohc engine out of a mustang or something like a AU S2 5lt engine. it needs to have all the cats and be as quiet as it can be. then all the brakes and suspension need to meet as well. so not sure if its gone be worth it just gotta do abit more looking into it
Old 01-09-2006, 12:14   #8 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Having owned a Eureka in the past I can say that you are entering a minefield. Kit cars must comply with ADRs. The interpretation of those ADRs are up to the state authorities, such as the RTA in NSW. The RTA & I think the other states, will provide you with a list of approved engineers who can certify the vehicle to ADR compliance.
If the car has its own chasis i.e. not one from a donor car, then the engineer can provide a number for resitration which will be etched into frame. Most can also supply an embossed compliance plate once the job is complete.
Talk to an approved engineer now, don't believe/trust the staff at the RTA counter, get an idea of costs & time (double it at least!).
Old 01-09-2006, 14:17   #9 (permalink)
CaR bUfF pRoDiGy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdpwr
ok ive looked into it abit. and the car needs to meet with 2005-2006 adr requirments. So the car needs to either have a dohc engine out of a mustang or something like a AU S2 5lt engine. it needs to have all the cats and be as quiet as it can be. then all the brakes and suspension need to meet as well. so not sure if its gone be worth it just gotta do abit more looking into it

whoa....thats blows man, cuz in the USA u can have them as loud as u want, as big or as small an engine as u want, and have it as fast as u want. mine is pushin 450HP to the wheels out of a small block Ford 302 (thats a 5 liter if u dont know). and im runnin on side pipes with no muffler or catalytic converter. so its loud enough to make the ground shake. i like mine just fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub