Acceleration Perception - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2002, 14:21   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Lightbulb Acceleration Perception

While driving a late model Verada 3.5 Ei it has got me thinking what GP discussed about the Falcon and Jackie Stewarts input about throttle response being smooth.

Everytime i drive the Verada i use to think through teh feeling of the car that it really really went in the sense that it would do 0-100km in 8 seconds as opposed to the claimed times of mid 10's. When driving it does feel really really snappy i think they tuned the car like that to get that perception. Touch the throttle and it jumps and revs. Me thinks Mitsubishi stuck soft rear springs so the car pulls you back under acceleration. No wonder people say that the latest VRX Magna really really flys. Although they are pretty quick.

But after a little drag with a newish Lancer i learnt a lesson.
I dragged him off the lights up to 80km/h and i had the foot to the floor and he kept right next to me couldn't even feel the car start to gain ground.

The AU by contrast feels alittle slow off the line, but really hammers. I think this is the input of Jackie Stewart about the smooth throttle response.

Has anyone else had that experience.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2002, 16:08   #2 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Lancer keeping up with a 3.5l Verada????nooo way in @#$%!
That lancer was modded, just by reading your story. Lancer can't keep with verada 3.5 and again even Commodores and Falcons can't keep with veradas.
I'm surprised how Mark is not happy with his , the car was absolute fun to drive, quiet, so easy on petrol, and you can get it for peanuts used at auctions or private.
ayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 16:52   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

I dunno the lancer looked pretty stock to me. I reckon a Falcon/Commo would beat it quite easily.

I'm talking about the Veradi Ei 3.5L 150kw model. VRX/Sports would be faster.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 01:49   #4 (permalink)
RACE

It probably has alot to do with the gearing as well. The Lancer, like most small cars, have short gearing for every gear. So it may appear that it matches the performance of the Magna. If you had kept going my guess is that the Magna would start to pull away due to taller gearing.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:22   #5 (permalink)
RACE

Quote:
Originally posted by ayman
Commodores and Falcons can't keep with veradas.
You'd be suprised ayman. In city driving the Falcon would have the measure on the Magna, but if we're talking the Northern Territory where you can really wind the car up it would be a different story.
Old 03-20-2002, 03:55   #6 (permalink)
goooone

As a Verada 3.5L driver I can tell you this is true it does feel fast but when you you come up against other cars or watch the speedo the thing is a bit of a slug really especially in gear acceleration
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 14:27   #7 (permalink)

I've got a stock EF, and I've never been out done by a Verada.
Nor a VRX "Sports" as they call it, and the day I am, I'll be going straight home to mod the absolute crap out of it!! [put the XF aside for a while]
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 15:35   #8 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jucy
As a Verada 3.5L driver I can tell you this is true it does feel fast but when you you come up against other cars or watch the speedo the thing is a bit of a slug really especially in gear acceleration
I'm not sure now!I drove the new verada hired as well as a falcon and a commodore, I "felt!!??" that the verada was a blast, besides I enjoyed driving it so much,maybe because it was a verada not a magna???not sure now, but EF-GUY, line it up again against that weird lancer, give her driver a grin and a look, and let's see again, because I don't buy that the lancer can keep with the new 3.5l!!are there two types of lancers?????1.5l and another capacity??
Another story:s2:, yesterday the XR8 absolutely slaughtered a new 6 speed 200SX, that thing is alot faster than any turbo 4 out there.We lost to a yellow type R brand new few weeks ago, only by 1 or 2 meters,and it was bad. We had full tank 68litres at the first one. Yesterday only 70KM DTE so it had about 7litres left.It was goooood:)I feel wonderful,God I love that black XR8!!
sorry to change the topic, either the spec R has a "better" engine than the 200SX, or the full tank severely slows down any car.
ayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 18:41   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ayman

I'm not sure now!I drove the new verada hired as well as a falcon and a commodore, I "felt!!??" that the verada was a blast, besides I enjoyed driving it so much,maybe because it was a verada not a magna???not sure now, but EF-GUY, line it up again against that weird lancer, give her driver a grin and a look, and let's see again, because I don't buy that the lancer can keep with the new 3.5l!!are there two types of lancers?????1.5l and another capacity??
Another story:s2:, yesterday the XR8 absolutely slaughtered a new 6 speed 200SX, that thing is alot faster than any turbo 4 out there.We lost to a yellow type R brand new few weeks ago, only by 1 or 2 meters,and it was bad. We had full tank 68litres at the first one. Yesterday only 70KM DTE so it had about 7litres left.It was goooood:)I feel wonderful,God I love that black XR8!!
sorry to change the topic, either the spec R has a "better" engine than the 200SX, or the full tank severely slows down any car.
A 200SX would slaughter a Type R in a drag, and would probably run toe-to-toe with a 220 XR8.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 22:31   #10 (permalink)
newxr8

I've owned a 3litre Magna and now own an ef xr8. The magna with the power switch down was reasonably quick - quick enough to keep up with the respective model ford's and holden's. If you can drive a little bit and get it off the mark quick it will be quite hard to mow down in any standard six. I once put this magna to the test with a new sports auto magna. I never stood a chance - those magnas with a good driver fly. Very underated performer. If I was driving a magna sports I would not hesitate to run any commodore or falcon. If they were in fact rear wheel drive I would consider buying one!! As for the xr8 well I find it is quick but you have to drive it as such. In other words get those revs pumping through the gears otherwise they are just a big car with a big engine and will in fact struggle against these smaller cars with moderate size engines!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub