accident... who is at fault ? :( - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2004, 22:03   #1 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

accident... who is at fault ? :(

This is exactly what happened, nothing twisted or stretched. If you need more details let me know.

I was parked on a main road, I had indicated right to move onto the road and drive with the traffic.
I moved forward (not right - out) a few inches at most before this van turned in (cutting me off) front of me to park, I immediately stopped (thinking whats this idiot doing) but as he was turning in the back half of his van scraped my right bumber bar. I did not see him indicate left for him to be parking (he said he did), either he didn't indicate or the sunlight made it difficult to see. Anyway the back half of his van got some of my black bumper makrs on it and a slight dint at the end... I don't think this was my fault, but he says it is.

He said he is going to see his friend and cut and polish the marks off and then look at the dint. It is a slight dint at the front of his rear wheel arch.

To make matters worse, whilst we were talking my car ran out of petrol and I had to get a jerry can from the servo and took me ages getting it in the damn petrol tank.
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2004, 22:05   #2 (permalink)
BOFH

Re: accident... who is at fault ? :(

Contact your insurance, tell them what happened and ask their advice. Do not admit to anything, let them advise you what to do.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 22:06   #3 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

that is a problem... because its just an old laser and I couldn't afford much I let the cover note lapse long ago.
Old 10-21-2004, 22:14   #4 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanEA
that is a problem... because its just an old laser and I couldn't afford much I let the cover note lapse long ago.
Then the bad news is your probably screwed. If he is insured and you refuse to pay he can easily go to his insurance. Regardless of if your right or wrong, it will be you against the money hungry insurnace mob. In the end they have more money, they will out lawyer you.

Old 10-21-2004, 22:18   #5 (permalink)
Formerly ef_ghiaI6

looks like sexual favours are called for
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 22:19   #6 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

I hope not... :(

I'm sure the black marks will polish off the van, but the small dint obviously wouldn't... i just hope he isn't so pedantic about it, but he did say he just got the van.
The dint is at the rear wheel arch where it is round, this part isn't quite as round as the rest of it. Imagine a small part of the wheel arch pushed in a tiny bit about half the size of a 5c piece wide and a few mm deep.
Old 10-21-2004, 22:21   #7 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
looks like sexual favours are called for
thanks for your valuable input.
Old 10-21-2004, 22:31   #8 (permalink)
BOFH

I would seriously just try to stike a deal with him and try to get out as cheaply as possible. Maybe offerhim $200 and get him to agree that thats all you will put to it.

Old 10-21-2004, 22:37   #9 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

yeah well he is going to get his mate to cut and polish the black marks off and then look at the dint further and get back to me. I'm hoping he just decides to let it go, but he probably won't.

If he does want me to pay for the dint then I'll probably deny responsibility but accept to pay up to $200 as you said for it. I honestly do not believe it was my fault but paying something like that would probably just be the easiest way to get out of the situation.
Old 10-21-2004, 22:55   #10 (permalink)
AU XR6 VCT 'WANNABE'

Mate, found myself in a similar situation a few years ago working as a taxi driver.
Backing out of a motel complex, badly lit, pissin down with rain, cars parked along the drive making it more narrow than usual and drove the step from the passenger side of the van straight across a brand new set of mags. After checking, there was minimal damage, but because they wouldn't let my boss see the damage for himself, it was tossed out.
Unfortunatley man you may be in some what of a pickle, the best course of action from my point of view is to work out some sort of arrangement with the van owner, but get it in writing as well, a gentlemans handshake only goes as far as the victim allows it.
Good luck.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub