accidents make you think - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2001, 05:41   #1 (permalink)

accidents make you think

i was going home from work yesterday, and as turned off adelaide st and onto constitution rd in meadowbank (locals will know, others don't worry) i see about 5 or 6 cop cars and the street's blocked off! i couldn't see any crashed cars from the distance but as i got closer, i saw a mangled up bike and a white sheet covering a body on the road.

i drove down that road a few times since yestarday arvo and every time i pass that spot it sends shivers down my spine. they've outlined the parts of the road where the body was and you can still see the dried blood.

i've toned down my driving since then, cuz it just shows you that these things happen. who knows, it might have been someone i knew! i ask you to do the same guys - at least around suburban streets where there's lots of pedestrians and cyclists, and especialy kids. it's just not worth the risk, and i'm not talking about the damage to your car, or the speeding fine either! human life is invaluable, and one has just been lost due to someone's lack of care. i admit i'm a hoon, but i do my hooning at places where i'm the only one i can kill.

take care all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2001, 05:46   #2 (permalink)
BOF

well said, I never speed in a built up areas anymore (25 now) and this is from a person who did 160 in a 60 zone when I was 17/18. BLOODY STUPID is all I can say about that now.
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 05:56   #3 (permalink)

yeah, i can associate with that...

i'm really thankfull that i never had a speed related crash, or that i never got caught! as for 160 in a 60 zone, i haven't gone to those extremes, but i used to do 120 in a 60 (changed to 50) zone on the way to school every single day! i stopped when i was 19 and i've been pretty sensible since then, except with burnouts last year! but i've stopped that too.

the responsibility lies with the individual, but i also blame the driver training culture because it only gives you a drivers' licence and away you go! if someone showed me what a car and it's occupants look like after hitting a pole at 160kmh, i would have thought twice before speeding.

still, i have no one to blame but myself...
Old 12-11-2001, 14:55   #4 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

That was yet another cyclist that has been killed on the roads. Having been nailed by a car on my pushbike (lights out, Ambo ride and all that) as well as many other times where the driver didn't stop, speed isn't normally the cause. It's the jerk off drivers who think the road isn't for bikes and decide to 'buzz' the rider, only finding they went that little bit too close.

Problem is drivers are not penalised enough for their attitude to cyclists. The guy who t-boned me, destroyed my bike, caused head injuries, severe knee injuries, neck problems, and severe memory loss got a neg driving charge of $161 and three points.

Go bloody figure!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 15:37   #5 (permalink)

One of my best friends was killed 4 Years ago, while traveling in his mates magna. It was the night of his Year 12 Farewell, and his mate was gunning a 1984 magna along the Road that heads out to La-Perouse. There were a pack of 4 girls in a new Lancer behind the magna, but they were driving sensibly. The magna came around a bend, got the thing sideways, and wrapped it around a pole. The impact was so bad that the passenger side taillights (Front and Back) were about 50cm apart. Guess who was in the passenger seat (Or what was the passenger seat). There was nothing that anyone could do to save him.
The driver of the Lancer was my friends cousin. She needed some serious therapy...
The cops said from the skid marks, that the magna was doing around 150-160Km/hour. This was in a 60 Zone. By the way, it was p@ssing down rain, and was 11:00pm at night.

The driver got off lightly, about $1200 worth of fines, and 3 months prison.. All because he wanted to show off in front of the girls...

I have done some pretty F!@#$%g stupid things in my life, (280km on the way back from Wollongong, on a GPZ900RR), but I can tell you, I now never go above 15Kms over the speed limit.
(Even that Is foolish....)
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 15:40   #6 (permalink)
BSR

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
That was yet another cyclist that has been killed on the roads. Having been nailed by a car on my pushbike (lights out, Ambo ride and all that) as well as many other times where the driver didn't stop, speed isn't normally the cause. It's the jerk off drivers who think the road isn't for bikes and decide to 'buzz' the rider, only finding they went that little bit too close.

Problem is drivers are not penalised enough for their attitude to cyclists. The guy who t-boned me, destroyed my bike, caused head injuries, severe knee injuries, neck problems, and severe memory loss got a neg driving charge of $161 and three points.

Go bloody figure!

Hope the Ambo's looked after you AP......

12/03 FPV GT 725
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 16:00   #7 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

I've been thinking along similar lines to adviliax lately, as yet another site has been added to my trip to work.

100 metres from home is where a young bloke lost it on four lane divided road at warp speed and wrapped it around a light pole at the driver's B pillar some years back. Died at the scene. A few hundred metres on two young blokes died when their car hit the stone dividing wall on a straight stretch a few years later. Half a K on I cross the street where a motorcyclist was killed on a bright Sunday afternoon a couple of years ago. A few K's on (after passing the pub where an armoured van guard was shot dead in a robbery some years back) is the spot where a young bloke put his car into someone's front room a few months back after losing it at warp speed. Two died on the front lawn. A few sad bunches of flowers are still hanging off the fence. A few K's later is the spot where a young bloke, not yet licensed, crossed to the wrong side of the road a couple of years back while running from the police at warp speed and killed an old dear driving innocently along in broad daylight on a dry road. Then a k or so from work is the spot where some poor bastard died on the way to work about 8 am on a normal day. And if I approach work from the other direction, there is a huge floral display where some young bloke lost it around 200k on a six lane road a few weeks back. The skid marks only start a few car lengths before it hit the gutter at a 30 degree angle and continue over where the tree he hit first used to be and end where he buried the nose in an earth bank, which at lower speed (i.e. in this case legal speed of 80 k there) he probably would have just driven up.

All that in a 10 to 15 minute drive.

The dead don't suffer once they're dead, but the amount of people affected by those events, both those who survived but were injured and the families and friends of them all and the people who attend these things, must be huge.

Most of them were caused by young bucks doing absolutely insane speeds. I don't think enforcing 50k limits will stop these sorts of disasters, but I'd certainly like to find some way for them to stop if for no other reason than that it's more by good luck than anything else that these clowns usually hit roadside furniture rather than another car. I don't want anyone to be around if they lose it and hit another vehicle or pedestrian, and I don't want my kids doing it or being with people who do it in a few years. The silly thing is, these are the easiest "accidents" to avoid because they involve one person doing something that they don't need to and could easily avoid.

On an entirely different topic, what does adviliax mortus mean, particularly as "mortuus" means "dead" in Latin?
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 16:33   #8 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by XLR8

Hope the Ambo's looked after you AP......
Wouldn't know. I was out cold. Woke up in hospital emergency room. Then the pain hit!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 19:13   #9 (permalink)
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks

If anyone has driven/ridden in a car on a racetrack, they would realise the touch, judging and skill required in order to handle a car at 150km/h+ I cannot believe how stupid someone must be to do 160km/h in a Magna on a wet, public road, at night, around a bend. Sheer fricken madness if you ask me. Funny how you never hear that the driver dies, it always an innocent bystander or passenger(s). Bloody crazy. There is a time and place for fanging cars at 160+
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 19:45   #10 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HP Dude
There is a time and place for fanging cars at 160+
Yes. And it is not on any road in a built up area by anyone, and anyone who thinks that I'm wrong doesn't have sufficient experience and insight to be doing that speed anywhere on a public road.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub