ADSL Hardware - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2003, 21:58   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Read ADSL Hardware

I've checked out whirlpool.net.au and ozcableguy.com and a few other places so don't shoot me for not doing my homework on this matter.

But anyway... i'm looking for experiences, both postive and negative in regards to ADSL modems and your ADSL provider. I'm looking at all these items on the market, and most of them 'require' an extra ADSL modem as all they do is the routing part. I've got the router (my Apple Airport basestation), all I need is the modem part, but those seem to be few and far between, as well as expensive.

All I need is something that does the PPPoE connection to the ADSL service, and then gives me 10Mbit (or 100Mbit) ethernet out the other end with an IP address. In effect, all I need is the ADSL modem. Most ISP's will charge ~$350 including account setup fee for this. I was hoping to get one cheaper.

What I don't need is:
Wireless
NAT
Routing
Firewall
as I have all this in my Apple Airport. I just need a friggin' modem and I can't find one!

Any help?

Oh and who do you use for ADSL? I don't care about Optus@home or Bigpond cable, it has to be ADSL and thats it. :)

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2003, 22:17   #2 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Have just got my Netspace 512/128 account up and running in the last few weeks, and have been loving it. As for the modem, I was underwhelmed with the ones on offer that were "factored into" the account, and chose to go my own way. I ended up getting the Netcomm NB3300 - a superb little unit!

...Click here for details

Being a combined adsl modem and router, it has some nifty features as well which makes life a bit easier.

All in all, very impressed with the service from both the hardware and the provider. Much better than when I was on Bogpond adsl a few years back.
Old 05-25-2003, 22:48   #3 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Not quite what I was after hardware wise :) but i'm definately beginning to hear some positive words about Netspace.

Our suggested ISP is Comcen - we get a special deal through them, but netspace seem very good as well.

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Old 05-26-2003, 06:31   #4 (permalink)

The Alcatel speed touch pro is a good modem once you get over the initial stress of configuring it. It has been very reliable for me. It has heaps of features you don't want however. If your running multiple machines from your house it has to be a good option, you just plug all your machines into the hub and they're all connected. It also handles logging in so you always have a connection available. The one bad thing is 10Mb/s on the four port hub.

The Alcatel "Stingray" USB modems are a bit flakey and sometimes won't work with the standard USB ports. My advice is don't get one.

They are the only two ADSL modems I have played with.
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 07:03   #5 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

ianmcginley, I installed ADSL a few weeks ago.

I decided to go with Swiftel ($75.00 - 256kb/64 unlimited - note they also do a 512kb/128 6gb plan for $65.00) and I have been very impressed with them, speed and service has been excellent. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Anyhow, I brought my ADSL modem off Swiftel. They offer the Netcomm NB 1300 for $175 including one line filter and delivery to your door (Very competitive price when you factor in delivery and next day replacement if something goes wrong in the first year).

I have been very impressed with this modem. Setup was very easy and all I had to do was simply put in my account details (as provided by Swiftel) and it connected automatically using PPPoE.

It was also easy to get the modem to work with my new network, which arrived last week. I simply plugged the modem directly into my router and set the modem up in bridged PPPoE mode and its worked perfectly.

This modem also has an inbuilt router (not that I use it) and lots of other little features. It can be connected via Ethernet (10 or 100mbits) or via USB.

As far as I can tell it would do everything that you would want.
Old 05-26-2003, 18:43   #6 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally posted by XR6VCT
I decided to go with Swiftel ($75.00 - 256kb/64 unlimited - note they also do a 512kb/128 6gb plan for $65.00) and I have been very impressed with them, speed and service has been excellent. I can't recommend them highly enough.
DOH Appears SwiftDSL is NSW and WA only :(

Quote:
Anyhow, I brought my ADSL modem off Swiftel. They offer the Netcomm NB 1300 for $175 including one line filter and delivery to your door (Very competitive price when you factor in delivery and next day replacement if something goes wrong in the first year).
Gee that sounds like a great price, Hmmm seems I can get them from oztechnologies.com for $178.80, doesn't appear to include the line filter though.

Quote:
As far as I can tell it would do everything that you would want.
Thanks for the tip - looks like just the piece of hardware that I need :)

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Old 05-27-2003, 00:42   #7 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcginley
DOH Appears SwiftDSL is NSW and WA only :(

Gee that sounds like a great price, Hmmm seems I can get them from oztechnologies.com for $178.80, doesn't appear to include the line filter though.

Thanks for the tip - looks like just the piece of hardware that I need :)
Yes, unfortunately SwiftDSL are only in NSW and WA at the moment, they are planning on expanding to VIC, however I donít think it will be for a little while yet.

For the record, Netspace was my second choice for an ADSL ISP. Their 512/128 6gb plan for $69.95 is very good value for money and the quality of their service is, from what I have heard, is also very good.

Another place were you can get the Netcomm NB1300 nice and cheap is www.aussiepcshop.com. They have it listed for $149 (plus postage). I am not sure if that comes with a line filter or not but an extra line filter from them is only $9.95.

For more info check out this link Netcomm NB1300 @ Aussie PC Shop
Old 05-27-2003, 16:41   #8 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally posted by XR6VCT
For the record, Netspace was my second choice for an ADSL ISP. Their 512/128 6gb plan for $69.95 is very good value for money and the quality of their service is, from what I have heard, is also very good.
Yup, i've decided to go with Netspace for this reason... I have been doing some research on broadbandchoice.com.au and they come up trumps.

Quote:
For more info check out this link Netcomm NB1300 @ Aussie PC Shop
That rocks! thanks

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Old 05-27-2003, 17:05   #9 (permalink)

Whoever you go with if you want a modem with out
Wireless
NAT
Routing
Firewall

one possibility is Dlink DSL 300, not a bad modem
the Alcatel pro is a good mode but good luck finding one

also any modem with router capabilites (for example nb1300) can be run in bridged mode and require external pppoe, if your running X it has it onboard

Any other questions go for it.
madEAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 18:12   #10 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally posted by madEAs
Whoever you go with if you want a modem with out
Wireless
NAT
Routing
Firewall

one possibility is Dlink DSL 300, not a bad modem
the Alcatel pro is a good mode but good luck finding one

also any modem with router capabilites (for example nb1300) can be run in bridged mode and require external pppoe, if your running X it has it onboard

Any other questions go for it.
Thanks for the input, but the DSL 300 is just a tad on the expensive side when compared to the NetComm NB1300. the DSL 300 is about $250 whereas now I can get NB1300 for under $150.

I'm slowly learning all this stuff and I think i've hit on a configuration which will be good :)

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub