advice on home pc and internet connection - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2003, 20:13   #1 (permalink)

Question advice on home pc and internet connection

due to my unquechable thirst of FF ive decided i need a home pc and internet connection and was just after any advice you may have.
i basicaly i just want it for email,moderate browsing(1 hr a night or more) and maybe downloading music. im not sure wheather i need a unlimited deal or not.

do i need to spend over 2g on a pc or will somthing cheaper do?

any advice apreciated
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2003, 20:22   #2 (permalink)
bhr
FPR *Drooooooool*

If its just for the above mentioned then a second hand pc for about $500-$600 will do the job nicely (any p3 with a decent amount of ram (at least 128 MB, but the more the merrier (I'd reccomend 256))

As for the internet plan, if you don't want to go completly nuts, try some cheap adsl company (WHICH DOES NOT CHARGE FOR GOING OVER) with speeds at least 2x faster than a normal modem (lol). If it's just for forum browsing/email/internet 500 mb per month allowance is more than enough.

Edit:
Second hand computers suck when you can get new ones cheapp here:
www.reda.com.au (not advertising, I just tell everyone who wants a new comp to visit these guys ... best value for money anywhere in sydney)

Also another point, make sure you get a monitor that is FLAT, they're much cheaper than they used to be ( < $300 for a 17") and if your going to be looking at it for extended periods of time its worth every cent you spend on it.
Old 04-23-2003, 20:24   #3 (permalink)

If your just using the pc for email and web access, an old pc will do the job fine. Pick up a 2 year old pentium 500 for about $500.

If however, you want to play games, watch video clips, and number crunch, you will need a Pentium 800+ and a good video card. Nvida G-Force cards are the safest option.

For an internet connection, ADSL is pretty cost effective, and anything with around 4gig dl allowance per month should do the trick pretty easily.

Check out www.whirlpool.net.au and look at the Broadband Choice section for ISPs in your area and deal comparisons.

Cheers
www.falcongtclub.org
XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 01:07   #4 (permalink)

Re: advice on home pc and internet connection

as for that computer store being the best value in sydney i think not

they wanted $190 for a xp2500+ cpu whereas they are $158 at www.umart.com.au

umart havnt got the best service but their prices makeup for it

price, service.

you can havbe one or the other not both.
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 01:10   #5 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

http://www.msy.com.au/ is the place i go to get computer parts!! cash = cheaper :)
Old 10-06-2003, 02:37   #6 (permalink)
Interloper from LS1.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Lurker
http://www.msy.com.au/ is the place i go to get computer parts!! cash = cheaper :)
Damn straight - MSY are hell cheap - price comparable to the swap meets from my research.

Went to the Showgrounds one yesterday cos wanted a secondhand monitor for my soon to be old box and picked up some pretty fans for my new box while I was there.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:04   #7 (permalink)
{';'}

Give us some more specific prices so we can help you out a bit further. For excellent (and usually unbeatable) prices, I recommend Computer World for parts/systems - www.cworld.com.au. Their customer service is pretty iffy, but their prices are fantastic and they usually have it in stock.

Internet wise, it really depends on your budget too. If you're mainly browsing (rarely downloading) dial-up is probably sufficient.

Like I said, lay down some sort of budget if you need any more advice. In the mean-time, happy researching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub