Agricultural technology in the Automotive industry?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2004, 19:02   #1 (permalink)

Agricultural technology in the Automotive industry??

I know I'll get a few laughs for this but bare with me...

Alot of the Tractor manufacturers today have transmissions in their tractors that are very user friendly and I believe could be advantageous for the auto industry. I'm not sure if many people know about these transmissions, but they're pretty amazing (yes, I'm from a farm )

Not sure what other tractor manufacturers call their's, but John Deere have what they call Powershift (I think its been around for a few years now). The trans. has four (or more) banks (gears) like a conventional transmission, but it also has 4 speeds to each bank. So, for example, you can be in 4th/5th gear and in the 4th speed, and instead of changing down a gear (to slow you down) using the clutch you just pull the lever back one or two speeds without using the clutch.

John Deere have some Powershift Transmissions with 24 Speeds (although its called Powr-Sync)

Some Info on the JD Transmissions

I know that the size of these transmissions would be the most limiting factor for a automotive application, but with time I'm sure this could work. And yes, the gearing for automotive applications would have to be changed ALOT because of the (relatively) low speed work of agricultural machinery.

(If they haven't already) why don't automotive transmission manufacturers consider developing these for the automotive industry??
Not sure about this, but:

#better economy?
#ease of use
#reduced emissions?
#ability to handle torque (thats a definate!)
...but then theres cost (ouch!)

Thoughts???
EL FUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004, 01:09   #2 (permalink)
Roll, Crash and Smash

Re: Agricultural technology in the Automotive industry??

Your nuts man. Seriously, that type of system could prove to be very successful if tried in a car type application. but like you said, there is the cost.

AMBROSE CHAMPION AGAIN IN 2004
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:17   #3 (permalink)
.au member

*b2tf imagines tractor wheels on his EF...........

yup, i can see some advantages!
Old 12-09-2004, 01:18   #4 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

i would have thought the mojority of the general public wouldnt have a damn clue what to do if one was slipped in their car.
can you imagine 80 year old gran reachin for the gear stick then having to think about which of the 24 gears is best for what she's about to do!!
i like the idea and think its great and will probably one day see these (in sorts) in cars.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:34   #5 (permalink)
Origi-Bulge (tm)

I remember some time last year hearing about Volvo(?) developing a transmission that has unlimited gears, im a little hazy on the details. But as i remember it, it was based on an Auto, which used some sort of disc or something that rotated and put more pressure on the flywheel which in turn created less drive train loss and more power at the wheels...

like i said it was a while ago, and i didnt really understand it then. Maybe someone else can shed some light on it.

I dont like the idea of 80 year old gran driving ANYTHING.

Cows would live a lot longer if they weren't made out of steak and leather
Klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:15   #6 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

Having different ranges in a road car?

I think the applications have been taken out of context. Tractors operatig in the field are generally below 15km/h and by having lots of gears it means that torque can be optimised for very small speed differences. For example if you are planting at 9km/h, and your engine revs are 2000rpm, and max torque is around 1500rpm, and the difference between 1500 and 2000rpm is only 1.5km/h then torque buildup allows consistent speeds over differing power conditions (hard soil, slopes, etc), without changing gears, or dropping speed, which is a big cause of field operation inefficiency.

Whereas the difference between 1000rpm and 5500rpm in a road car might be 70km/h. I'm sure drivers would not want to shift through 20 gears to go from woah to go.

Other technologies such as constant velocity transmissions are also found in both tractors and road cars.

Powershift transmissions as found in large tractors and Challengers are just like a sports shift auto, and these are pretty common in the automotive world.

I like some of the other features of ag machinery, such as LCD instrument clusters, better engine warning systems than I've ever seen on a car, etc..

What kind of farm are you from?

Dan...

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:32   #7 (permalink)

Ford New Holland and John Deere have had 12+ speed transmissions with full power shift, skip shift, wet clutch, electro/hydraulic control, trans brake decel forward to reverse in one manouvre, etc for 10 plus years.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:35   #8 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Hey i've always called the T5 in my BA XR6 agricultural so why do we need a tractor gearbox? just continue to use the T5 :)

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:42   #9 (permalink)
Pieoter

You can get CVT. Basically it's a belt driven "gearbox" that have unlimited ratios. It was first used in large scale prodcution year ago but never really go off the ground. The Mitsubishi colt uses this system.

I cna every easily see this being used in sports cars as it will allow you to stay at max power while us accelerate thus getting the most possible acceleration.

It was banned in F1.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:49   #10 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

As for pulling back a gear or two on a powershift to slow you down in a tractor - if you did this on a roadcar at 100km/h i'd imagine there is a far greater chance of compression lockup and drivers losing vehicle control...

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub