air lock diffs, I WANT 1!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2002, 00:19   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

air lock diffs, I WANT 1!!

When i was waiting to see the doctor the other night i was reading a 4x4 mag. It had an ad in their advertising air lock diffs.
They run like a normal open wheeler but when u start to get busy in the mud/sand etc you can fully lock them up!
I reakon this would be HUGE in street machining if they could make them strong enough.
Having really tight LSD sucks to drive day to day with, noisy clunks, shuddering etc when u turn tight or slowly. and having your diff open wheel cause it isnt tight enough is worst.

With this when u wanna have a little bit of a play you could just flick a switch and it is locked for perfect traction, that nice 2nd gear drift out of a corner, donuts etc, and when you are driving normally just have it run open wheel nice and smooth.
I reakon it is a great idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2002, 00:46   #2 (permalink)

I've always wondered why you didn't see them in normal passenger cars, anyone know?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 01:04   #3 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon
I've always wondered why you didn't see them in normal passenger cars, anyone know?

An air locker wouldn't be any good on the street, the diff is completely locked so would be worse than a Detroit Locker and quickly lead to driveline failure.
You'd be switching the thing on and off. They could design something to sense different driven wheel speeds and have it lock/unlock, but then your back to essentially a LSD situation.

Apparently, some top fuellers in the USA are now using air lockers, they have the benefit of a fully locked diff and turn it off when steering the car.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 01:05   #4 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Probly cause most people wouldnt know what the hell to do with it.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 01:04   #5 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kieron
[B]

An air locker wouldn't be any good on the street, the diff is completely locked so would be worse than a Detroit Locker and quickly lead to driveline failure.

I thought it would pretty much be the same as a detroit locker but you could switch it on and off.... I reakon that is perfect!
Old 04-23-2002, 01:09   #6 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

You used to be able to get a thing called lock-right check that out, thats what you want.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 02:20   #7 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

hmm. I'm thinking of an ARB unit in a nine-inch rear end as a final aspect of my drivetrain plans.

I think that they dont sell them for passenger cars cos they know that hoons (people like me!) will fit them to their diffs, do perfect burnouts and still have perfect streetability. Theres also the dickhead factor, say some wannabe locks up their diff in the coles carpark, then does a blockie and forgets to unlock their diff.. their rear end does a drift through a corner into a powerpole. Or something along those lines.

There is a market for these units, but either the locker manufacturers haven't got the willpower, the resources, or the guts to put it onto the market..
discokin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 03:01   #8 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by discokin6
hmm. I'm thinking of an ARB unit in a nine-inch rear end as a final aspect of my drivetrain plans.

I think that they dont sell them for passenger cars cos they know that hoons (people like me!) will fit them to their diffs, do perfect burnouts and still have perfect streetability. Theres also the dickhead factor, say some wannabe locks up their diff in the coles carpark, then does a blockie and forgets to unlock their diff.. their rear end does a drift through a corner into a powerpole. Or something along those lines.

There is a market for these units, but either the locker manufacturers haven't got the willpower, the resources, or the guts to put it onto the market..
If you've got a 9", you can get a air locker for it, check out www.arb.com.au, they have a list of vehicles that can take a locker.
Like you say, the only reason you would have an air locker is basically for burnouts/drag racing, which means for 99% of the time, you'd be running it unlocked, better off with an LSD.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 05:56   #9 (permalink)
Early Ford Member

You could idiot-proof it by putting the switch on the accelerator pedal so that at full throttle it's locked but most of the time it's open. Excellent at the track: open going around corners and holding the power but mash the throttle at the exit of the corner and it's locked. Only good in a decently powerful car tho. In say a low powered car you'd be mashing the pedal all the time just to keep up with the traffic, and a locked diff would be really bad in the wet (esp in a low powered car).
XT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 07:43   #10 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

http://www.powertrax.com/locker.htm

Here's the web page for lock right.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub