Airbag Shock - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2002, 04:29   #1 (permalink)

Airbag Shock

Airbags aren't as good at preventing road crash deaths as previously thought. The shocking revelation, as reported in the British Medical Journal, was the finding of ten-year survey of thousands of fatal car deaths in the US. The study found the safety devices only cut the risk of death by eight per cent. Previous research estimated this figure to be as high as 14 per cent.

Meanwhile, the report found wearing a seatbelt has a much greater affect on survival rates, cutting the risk of death by a massive 65 per cent. Richard Yarrow

Article from: Auto Express
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2002, 03:07   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Still good to have the benefit of both.I wonder what the next big safety device might be.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:13   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Given that the seatbelt wearing rate in the US is in single digits percentage wise this should come as no surprise. Air bags are a supplementary restraint not a primary like the seat belt is!!

Australian research has concluded that the reduction in fatalities is nearer 35% in a country where seatbelt compliance is relatively high and that the incidence of severe injury MAY be reduced by as much as 60%.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 03:30   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by russellw
Given that the seatbelt wearing rate in the US is in single digits percentage wise this should come as no surprise. Air bags are a supplementary restraint not a primary like the seat belt is!!

Australian research has concluded that the reduction in fatalities is nearer 35% in a country where seatbelt compliance is relatively high and that the incidence of severe injury MAY be reduced by as much as 60%.
Absolutely, although I am led to be leave the seat belt situation in the US has changed somewhat. Had to restrain a moving target isn't.
Old 05-14-2002, 17:59   #5 (permalink)

Well after seeing a programme on TV here this week which showed lots a crash testing footage, Im faaaarrrrrking glad I got airbags, any car I buy in the future will have dual a/b's as a minimum.
Fireman Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 19:34   #6 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

I feel the same way.I only look at cars with Dual airbag.Cheap when it's your life at stake.
Old 05-14-2002, 19:59   #7 (permalink)

There was a guy on another Ford Forum the other day (supposedly works at Ford) that reckoned that (side) airbags were no good! here's the link if anyone's interested http://pub59.ezboard.com/ffordsperfo...picID=21.topic

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 22:19   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote: My main point is this, any accident which does not intrude into the cabin cannot harm occupants. Any object which is strong enough to intrude into the cabin has an intense force, which would simply either stop the airbag from deploying or destroy the employed airbag after intruding into the cabin. Side airbags are only useful in a front or rear collision where the seatbelt snaps and a passenger is in risk off hitting the side windows. In Fords situation, seatbelts are designed to maintain extreme forces and when this is added with Ford new seats to be fitted in all AV vehicles, occupants will remain firmly fitted
in a collision, with minimal movement.
:Unquote

Thankyou Mr Informer for finally debunking 50 years worth of accident research. I am truly grateful that you have finally helped me to understand that non intrusive accidents won't do me any harm and that contrary to popular belief my internal organs are more than happy with multiple g decelerations. Furthermore I am pleased to learn that side airbags are only useful in a front or rear impact when I always believed they were there to stop our scones from hitting the B pillar in frontal offset and side impacts. How f***en silly of me.
Finally let me thank you for explaining how Ford will now be fitting all seats with sufficient side bolstering (particularly around the head are) that we will have limited peripheral vision but sleep safely in the knowledge that we are well restrained by our standard six point harnesses (might be a bugger for the pregnant but hey that's progress....) - because that's the only way we'd ever be that well restrained.
Now I know this guy is not only a complete tool but dangerous to boot 'cos some poor bastard is going to believe this bullshit.
I'm sorry but the two companies who sepnd the most money on safety research (MB & Volvo) both strongly disagree with every stupid word you've said .. and I know whose arguments my money is behind.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 00:05   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Unlike smaller high performance BMW
and Mercedes vehicles, Fords large strong structure will withstand shape better in
an accident
yeah, i'm sure that all those "small and sporty" 7 series bimmers and s series mercs only have 2 airbags, 'cause they are big enough to withstand the impact safely. haaaaaahahahahaha, what a tool.
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 01:00   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Block Ford
Still good to have the benefit of both.I wonder what the next big safety device might be.
Maybe an ejection seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub