Am i doing the right thing? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2003, 05:13   #1 (permalink)

Am i doing the right thing?

My other half who works in the Insurance game have a Defensive Drivers Program on this Wed.with the Jim Murcott Driving Centre at Sandown. a freeby paid by the insurance mob, in my wisdom i said to her that she could have my GTP for the day afterall it has all the safety item's on it such as the big brembo brakes and TC etc.Should look quite funny though a female rocking up in a GT.
Do you think that i have made the right decision ?
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2003, 05:21   #2 (permalink)
BAD BSR BOY WITH THE LENS

Thumbs down Re: Am i doing the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
My other half who works in the Insurance game have a Defensive Drivers Program on this Wed.with the Jim Murcott Driving Centre at Sandown. a freeby paid by the insurance mob, in my wisdom i said to her that she could have my GTP for the day afterall it has all the safety item's on it such as the big brembo brakes and TC etc.Should look quite funny though a female rocking up in a GT.
Do you think that i have made the right decision ?
Cheers John
NO way in the world , just let her drive you there then take control
you'll never live it down otherwise
What you are actualy saying here is that she is the bigger risk , not you , i'll bet its the reverse , ask my miss's she'll tell what my record is like :)
wasa
Old 10-20-2003, 05:22   #3 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Re: Am i doing the right thing?

Yes - if she ever drives the car, then doing it in this car (with all the power, and the extra stopping power), will be the right car for her to throw around the track. Just pray she doesn't hit a wall or anything. LOL.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:22   #4 (permalink)
{';'}

I just hope she is a good-driver, for your sake!! Hope she smokes some cocky GM lads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:39   #5 (permalink)
disarm you with a smile

Ill add that chicks are okay drivers. Because what I wanted to say is more about how girls are, not their driving.

Just be prepared for a nagging sensation on your arm saying "OMG, can you buy ME one TOO!?!?!"
Old 10-20-2003, 14:06   #6 (permalink)
gone

No

She should be driving her car, after all she needs to get the feel of the her own cars limits, like you do your own!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 16:47   #7 (permalink)
I am The Brain

Yeah I agree minge.

Get her to take her own car because that is the one she would be driving all the time. If she never drives the GTP then there is no point in her taking it. I don't need to tell you the difference between it and a Corolla (I am generalising here...I am thinking she drives a Corolla for no reason really)
Old 10-20-2003, 17:00   #8 (permalink)

Have you been on the JM defensive drivers course? It might be different from their more advanced courses?

It might only be emergency braking, slalom, swerve and recover excercises.

I wouldn't be put off that it is being held at Sandown. JB did their drive to survive course at Calder.
All under 100ish km stuff from memory and well away from walls and other cars.
REV28K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 17:18   #9 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

oh come on guys she'll be fine...if you want your wife to drive your car later on then yeah she should take it out...I know I would sleep alot better knowing that my partner has had some experience before hand with the car.

Im sure who ever is in charge will know what kind of car the GTP is and even ease her into it more so than others.

I say do it...its just a car remember...if anything happens just get it replaced, its still under warrenty...unless of course its void with this kind of stuff, I dont know.

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 17:44   #10 (permalink)
FFing Festive

John,

It does depend a little on what her car is but I say let her go for it. Learning how to handle a large, heavy, powerful car will highlight many of the issues that affect car safety. Sure the car has big brakes etc. but the principles of the course are to give exposure to a variety of situations. Also it typically helps if there are a variety of cars in attendance. In the Murcott course I did, taking the XR8 Ute was not only good for me but good for all as it provided a good comparator as it was the only high-power rear-wheel drive in attendance and there's no TC. The instructor (who was very thorough) drew attention to the differing factors between the cars and will have people viewing at strategic points to graphically illustrate the braking performance of this or that vehicle and will probably use the GTP as a benchmark in this regard. Have no fear that she will be overconfident after doing the course in the GTP, the instructors drum the various factors into people's heads and you walk away with a clear understanding of how differing cars perform in different conditions. The course is not so much about knowing just how to handle your own car but about understanding the skills and factors involved in driving any car now and in the future.

My only other advice would be to heavily wax the skirts and front bar. The witches hats can be nasty.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub

Related Reading: Am i doing the right thing?