Am I too biased?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2004, 04:37   #1 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Am I too biased??

I was walking from work to the bus stop today (on Church St, Paramatta, the intersection where James Ruse Drive becomes Briens Rd for all you folks in Sydney) and saw something interesting. Two black Utes. One was a VY SS, the other a BA XR8. Both had sports bars, and they raced, dead even until the XR8 let off due to traffic (the SS didn't have to, but he did anyway, a decision which I applaud).

This immediatley reminded me why I love domestics so much, they really are very good. However, it raised a profound question. Why do I hate Holden SO MUCH when they make almost the same cars as Ford? Would it be bad to like both parties and focus my detest towards ricers in their FWD Lancers with 20" chrome wheels etc?

I was weighing up the pros and cons.

Ford Pros:
All my friends are Ford fans
They're a more reliable car
Ambrose is so damn good (though, liking Holden wouldn't mean I can't like him)

Ford Cons:
Not many I can think of except that they're slower stock, which isn't much of a problem.

Holden Pros:
Gives me a wider variety of choice
They still have an OHV Pushrod V8 (personal preference here)

Holden Cons:
All my friends are Ford fans, would mean extreme shame on my part, and making all my statements of the past few years seem like utter hypocracy
They're not as well built

What's everyone think? Should I keep being Mr. Blue Oval or should I be Mr. Australian Muscle? Some things would never change, like even if I drove a Holden, I'd still go for Marcos Ambrose, by far my favourite man in Motorsport today.

The answers should be interesting...

Old 07-13-2004, 04:49   #2 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

Re: Am I too biased??

Mate its only human. I myself have found a soft spot for the SS. Doesn't mean I will buy one, but I respect it. I am a die hard ford man but if a car looks good (either ford, holden or chrysler), sounds tough and goes well I will like it.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:54   #3 (permalink)
mmm...kilomawatts...aargh

I don't think I could ever bring myself to owna new Holden but I quite like some of the older pre Commodore Holdens.

Falcon GT Club of Australia

FPV & XR Owner's Club of Victoria

I drive, I vote and I'll go out of my way to see you out of government Mr Bracks. You lied your way into power and you lie to keep it. Enough lies!!! You're out of here!
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:55   #4 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

yes Im the same, I too have caught myself perving on a decent looking statesman or senator every now and then. But, I have grown up with fords and I know them very well. If I went to Holden, I not only wouldnt know a thing, but all my mates would think I was a bandwagon supporter and still give me crap. Im better off just being a ford man and sticking with what I know.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:58   #5 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
yes Im the same, I too have caught myself perving on a decent looking statesman or senator every now and then. But, I have grown up with fords and I know them very well. If I went to Holden, I not only wouldnt know a thing, but all my mates would think I was a bandwagon supporter and still give me crap. Im better off just being a ford man and sticking with what I know.
Yeah, I know, exactly the same here. I know my Fords, and all my mates are Ford, and well, we're a bunch of Blue Blooded car freaks. For me to go Red would be well, not that welcomed, though I must admit, the reds aren't THAT bad.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:00   #6 (permalink)
.au member

This is EXACTLY what i was getting at in the F6 vs SS thread.

They're both cars that have their merits, and for locally built donks, they are awesome in their own right.

I would take either of them anyday. Granted i would take the XR8 if i had the choice, but like i said in the other thread - if things like finance and other matters determined an SS was the way to go - i'd be in one.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:02   #7 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

My biggest problem though, would be that it would shatter my image. I'd be hypocrite & stupid preacher No 1. That's not good.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:02   #8 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

My preferences:

1. Ford
2. Aussie muscle
15. Mits
96. Camrys generally
97. Camry Sportivo
98. Hyundai
99. Daewoo
100. Rice (this includes Daewoo or Hyundai Rice)

Make sense?
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:03   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I'd gladly own a pre-commo Holden. If offered I'd also take keys to any Black VT SS. But I'd rather a 350 in an LX Torri SS, red with the black bits, full flare kits, bonnet scoop.....mmmmmm.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:07   #10 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

hmmm.

well, given the choice between a riced up lancer on 20" rims or a stock VY SS i would go the SS any day, but stock SS and stock XR8 there is no competition.

(but i would really rather an XR6T :s6:)

on a side note during a workshop meeting the other day our workshop manager was talking about warranty issues and stuff, and said "we talked to the managers at ***** ford dealership and they do about half the amount of warranty work we do"

'they' being a very large ford dealer in brisbane, and 'us' being a very large holden dealer in brisbane...i chuckled to myself in a roomfull of holden lovers...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub