AMD or P4 what do you run - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2003, 01:12   #1 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

AMD or P4 what do you run

Hey all I'm building a new pc up for my new house.
Now I'm running an AMD 1400 at home at the moment but I'm leaving that for my parents while I build up a new system.

Now I've always been an AMD fan boy but my mate seams to think that the AMD systems fall over more and are not as reliable or as fast for the same money.
So do you think he's spinning da shit?
I'm speaking specifically about the new Barton AMD chips as thats what I'll be getting.
So
What are your experiances?
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2003, 01:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: AMD or P4 what do you run

Well, I still run a P233 MMX, and have always used Pentiums.

On the other hand, I have heard good things about the AMD range. Basically, I have have read that unless you are going for real high-end type stuff, go for the AMD.
Evil Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 01:23   #3 (permalink)

I'm currently running an AMD Athlon 1ghz, old school :D
its hit 1.42ghz overclocked and has lived through 90 degree internal temps
its still working and is running stable as anything.
if i was upgrading now... i dunno what i'd get.
P4's look fairly good at the moment, but i'd have to sum up all options.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 02:11   #4 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Have run AMD's since they were 1/2 the price of the Intel equivalent. I haven't had any issues with my latest rig, the (not-so) mighty XP2000+.

I have nothing against the P4 range, but it just doesn't seem to represent value for money. If they were the same price, I'd have to do some research before deciding, but for now I'll stick with the AMD's purely for value.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:38   #5 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

Too right Sparkles. Only Pentium chip I'd take would be the Centhingie in a laptop!
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 02:59   #6 (permalink)
Ride like the Wind

A lot of people associate any computer problem with the CPU, and so many people may say that the intel chips are better. But it is the whole set up that matters, for example it is more often than not the motherboard chipset that you are running. The most common chipset for Intel chips is the Intel chipset, these are very reliable chipsets, whereas the AMD chips are often coupled with cheap chipsets in order to "appear" cheaper than any intel complete system offering. In other words, provided you know what you are looking for and can research and decide on each system component yourself then you should have a good reliable system, provided your research was reliable itself.

Sorry for the long post.

PS. I have AMD at home because of the price, perfect system, only problems I have had have come from cheap RAM.

Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 03:09   #7 (permalink)
gsw
XA GS FAIRMONT 302

Im a computer tech and personally ive found the amd's to be faster at the same speed but the intel chips to be more stable and far more expensive. It also depends on the chipset(motherboard), ram and other parts you have in your system. example if you want to play games it is worth spending a little more on a decent video card then buying the fastest cpu, a 2.6 GHz chip with a 16mb video card would be usless.
gsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 03:25   #8 (permalink)
Not a Twink

In the years I've been working with in the IT industry I've found that Intel processors are most reliable... Having said that AMD's are not too bad either.. I used to bag AMD's, then one day I decided to buy one, and it served me well.

However these days I'd choose a P4 over AMD anyday, mainly due to the Hyper Threading technology and the overall quality of the CPU's.

If you got the money - go Intel... Else a AMD on a good motherboard should serve you well too.
honer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 03:32   #9 (permalink)

I am running a AMD 1400 on a Soltek DRV MB and have no probs. When I built it about 18 months ago it was, according to PC mag the fastest thing available at the time. Have had no probs and am about to build a new one running the XP200 barton on an ASUS MB. It is supposed to be pretty hot.
Basically it all depends on what you want to use your PC for and what you are prepared to spend.

Anyway have a look at this guys prices they are pretty good. Best I have seen around. http://www.it-rite.com/
Gives you some idea of what you will be up for.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:06   #10 (permalink)
BOFH

I've always had AMD's. No real preference, just more bang for the buck. And I've never had any of them fail on me, even with some pretty insane OC's

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub