Another Australian Company Does the Dirty and Ships Jobs Overseas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2004, 15:15   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Another Australian Company Does the Dirty and Ships Jobs Overseas

Well, what I regarded as an Australian institution has surprised me. Simmons wheels is shipping their casting and rim rolling functions to China (already occurring on some model wheels) with only the rim/center assembly process staying here in Sydney.

It's a shame to see it and of course I suspect no price savings will occur at retail level.

My biggest surprise was seeing that the casting which was made in China on an FR wheel still said 'Made in Australia'. Shouldn't it say 'Assembled in Australia from Foreign Made Parts'????????

Anyhow, how sweet do the FR19 wheels look?

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2004, 15:18   #2 (permalink)
BOFH

Re: Another Australian Company Does the Dirty and Ships Jobs Overseas

Well, mabey if the unions would stop trying to suck the life out of business, they wouldnt need to go oversea's.

(Sorry, touchy subject here. Rant off)

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 15:26   #3 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Well the Government doesnt help, I remember my dad telling me of a guy you manufactured, and he found it cheaper to send raw material to NZ get it made and it ship it back, cuase of the governments tarrifs etc, he even pointed this out to the governemnt, and said I want to keep jobs here, they told him to forget it, so jobs got lost simple as that...... was a long time ago, but still it proves just how dumb the government is, yet they always promote buy Australian ....... what a joke !

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 15:46   #4 (permalink)
Now With 9 inch LSD Diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Well, mabey if the unions would stop trying to suck the life out of business, they wouldnt need to go oversea's.

(Sorry, touchy subject here. Rant off)
totally agree, unions just plain old sh!t me!

Like this news is not surprising how can we compete with a country where labour cost practically nothing?

It all comes down to are Australians willing to work for really cheap wages, hell no I wouldn't work for a dollar a day.
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 16:00   #5 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomaniac
totally agree, unions just plain old sh!t me!

Like this news is not surprising how can we compete with a country where labour cost practically nothing?

It all comes down to are Australians willing to work for really cheap wages, hell no I wouldn't work for a dollar a day.
A dollar a day, just get the unions to declare 1000 days in a day, then thats a thousand dollars a day problem solved ....... LOL

.......... and they would too ..

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 16:26   #6 (permalink)
Proudly Average

so you WOULDN'T work for $1 a day (which is all the bosses would pay you, if they could), yet unions shit you?

/not posting in this thread again
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 17:37   #7 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSnakeEA
so you WOULDN'T work for $1 a day (which is all the bosses would pay you, if they could), yet unions shit you?...
It's going to be easy to spot employee vs employers in this thread. :s5

In my experience Union representative have their own interests at heart, and quite often stir shit to try and justify their roles. I've found that they care little about their members and more about getting paying members on their books.

I believe that there is a place for unions, just not at the level they used to be at.

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 17:38   #8 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Its a simple fact that we don't have slave labour in Australia like they do in China and Mexico, it's got nothing to do with the Unions so don't try to blame them. The government doesn't give a shit about Australian small business, it only cars about how much money it can make out of them.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 18:30   #9 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

Its a sad thing to see aussie jobs being exported to another country. Manufacturing is not the only industry either...IT is one as well. Many many jobs are being lost due to work being sent to India (no union in IT and we have some real talent here). The government haven't done a thing about it. Even the ACS (autralian computer society) are pushing the government to open their eyes and realise this is bad. One good thing though, the government has stopped permanent residencies being handed out to IT students from other countries. Maybe they are realising the loss that is occuring. Ok labour maybe cheap for the company but I wonder what the government realise they are missing out on. All that tax money going somewhere else. *sigh* it just falls on deaf ears anyway.

Last edited by Night_Lurker; 01-08-2004 at 18:36.
Night_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 22:29   #10 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Its not all over yet Night_lurker. Many many places are realising that the "India Solution" isn't all its cracked up to be.
Many people (there's been a thread of here even) HATE dealing with foreign (india etc) based call centres etc, and the message is slowly getting through ( I think it was Dell or EDS in the US that pulled their entire india contract and setup shop in Texas again, after getting smacked about by irate clients).

It will be interesting to see how the quality of Simmons holds up after the change. They could be about to shoot a huge hole in the reputation . . .
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub