Another new 220kw owner - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2001, 21:52   #1 (permalink)

Another new 220kw owner

Drove into the local KFC outlet and angle parked taking up two spots stopping a VS comie from parking along side me. Glanced over at him and noticed that he showed some interest in the car and me and I was expect a spray about the way I drove.
In the shop we stood next to one another when out of no where he enquires to my opinion of the XR8. Told him the truth and he replied he is ordering the 220kw unit at the end of the year.
He qualifies for the Tax exemption. Gave him my number and he is going to come drive my car in a few weeks. Will be going all out to sell him on the product and induct him into the club, but at the same time telling the truth. The dealers at agfest seemed to have led him astry a little.

One thing that did come out of our conversation was that the local Holden dealer mechanic told him to stay away from the LS1 until it is built in Australia. Now I don't want to end up on LS1.co m as a flame topic so I won"t post the reason unless someone really wants to know what was said.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2001, 21:54   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

You can PM me :D

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 21:55   #3 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

I'd like to hear that
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 22:19   #4 (permalink)
The Third Power

post them away, information is information whether is good bad or otherwise
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 22:22   #5 (permalink)
Formerly J-type

Thumbs up

Can you pm me aswell.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 22:22   #6 (permalink)
Mr. Embargo

Sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind knowing what was said as well HSE.

A friend of mine has a VX SS and pledges to me he will upgrade to the stokers as soon as they arrive. He's more eager about the strokers than I am and always asks me when they are coming.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 22:35   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by strife
post them away, information is information whether is good bad or otherwise
Ok then, anything bad happen about this its your fault

Ok the guy in question is fairly old and has been a Ford man all his life but went to Holden with the VS model. He has either some friend or relatives that own an LS1 car and it had the oil pump fall over in it. Now we seem to be having alot of them do that down here and the local dealer is getting plenty of practice at fixing em. According to this guy he went into the service centre to the head Tech that he had built up a repore with over the VS life and told him about his concerns with the LS1 that he was thinking of buying.
This is what the Tech told him. Although the LS1 motor has been out in the states for a while and has proven itself to a degree, the unit we have is not the same. The motors we are using have been tuned to deliver great economy and it appears as though it has been at the cost of reliability. We are seeing the tops of the piston being burnt when they should not, and this is happening in cars that have no had oil related problem that they know of. and that the oil pump failures are only part of the problem.

After being told that, this guy decided it was time to come home. Some of it sounds iffy to me, its as though they are running the motor too lean or something. Don't really know enough to say if it is crap or not but it was enough for one guy not to buy the product. Over reaction maybe!
Old 06-18-2001, 22:45   #8 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Maybe it's a result of guys leaning the engines out with those trimmed MAFs. I thought the standard engine ran rich which is why leaning them out gave extra power. The most common seems to be 10% with some using 15% lean settings.

I doubt Holden would be tuning them from factory so lean. Question is, do the techs check the MAF sensors when they see the burnt pistons etc?

Over to the true LS1 boys...........................

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 22:47   #9 (permalink)
The Third Power

mmm hasnt scared me...

maybe its luck but Ive put on over 20k km with blower, 3200 stall etc etc push it pretty hard and the only issue I have had is the tranny...(self inflicted you could say).

Oil pump issue I have had delivered a couple of 2001 blueprinted oil pumps from Agostino Racing Engines in Canada. 2001 revised oil pump is supposed to fix the relief valve, I have no oil pump or oil consumption issues but its an easy swap with the cam and only cost a couple hundred buxs. I wonder if its more the Holden modified sump and pickup has to do with some of these issues

The tuning on these puppies seems to be conservative and the ability to tune the pcm is very limited, even the dealers cant even up the idle and knock retard provides a reasonable level of protection, but I didnt like it so I shot the cat and put on a motec m48pro so I could tune for mods
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 22:50   #10 (permalink)

So has the guy been told dodgy info?. If so the next time I see him I will tell him that the Tech may be wrong and he should make his decision on merit and not what he may have been incorrectly told?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub