Another Silly Police Decision. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2004, 06:16   #1 (permalink)

Another Silly Police Decision.

On the Gold Coast, a motorist was booked and charged for being in charge of a motor vehicle, while asleep. I kid you not. !
He stopped because he had one two many and gave his keys to his father. So he couldn't drive his car. Police charged him with being in control of a motor vehicle, while drunk, hand cuffed him and he spent the night in jail.!!
He could now be fined $700 and loose his licence !!!
Aren't we told when we are tired etc to stop and pull over ?
Police in all States are getting more Gestapo every day.
Fining someone $100 in W.A. for having an airfreshner ,hanging from the rearview mirror, because it blocks the view. ! Rego sticker is the same size, it blocks the view !! as does the sunvisors. !
When is the police stupidity going to stop and common sense prevail?
casrms1450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2004, 06:42   #2 (permalink)
XR82GO

Re: Another Silly Police Decision.

What a joke

Some of the stuff they can book you with these days is just ridiculious. I mean come on what would they of liked that guy to do, drive home pissed and kill a couple of people on the way.

REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE

Thats all i have to say on the matter. Oh and I would be fighting that one in court if it was me.

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:25   #3 (permalink)

That only will encourage drink drivers - it's ridiculous how they punish people for being responsible and not drink driving
Old 01-07-2004, 15:18   #4 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Yeah, I saw that last night as well. It's no wonder people are losing respect for the Police. Don't get me wrong, we need the Police but catching speeders and drunk drivers is pretty much the public face of the Police so that's how most people will form their opinion of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylox
Oh and I would be fighting that one in court if it was me.
That would be one of the things I'd do. Another would be to file a complaint against the officer and try to rip him a new one. Firstly (according to the story) the officer manhandled the person and that wasn't necessary (unless the guy was violent himself but but nothing was mentioned), secondly the officer was negligent in his initial assessment/investigation of the matter. The keys on the back seat did not have a key to start that car on it so he was not in charge of the vehicle.

However, another point should be made.

The guys father said he took his sons keys from him to stop him driving. This implies that the father was with his son when he decided to sleep in the car. How hard would it have been for the father to take his son home?
If I had a son who was incapable of driving I would take him home. I'd want my son to be safe (regardless of his age) and make sure he got home safely.
There wasn't anything mentioned in the story about why the guy slept in the car and didn't get a ride home with his father, friends, taxi, whatever. It's just the impression I got from watching it.

Just my 2.2c (GST included)
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 15:24   #5 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

He was sitting in the drivers seat right ?? , end of story you are now capable of driving, he had no keys, well so the story goes, he could have a spare tucked away and then decided to drive.

If i was drunk walked up to any car i felt like sat in the drivers seat, then i could be busted for it as well.

SLEEP on the back seat or in the passanger seat, and NEVER have the keys in the ignition and you will be ok or at the very worst be able to have ti thrown out of court.

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 15:38   #6 (permalink)

That would by far have to be the biggest nard of a cop and a stupid rule to boot.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 17:21   #7 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

a year or so ago a guy was driving and had been for hours, pulled into a park off the road to 'have a sleep, be responsible and save lives' and was awoken in the morning by the local coppers to be informed that he is getting a ticket for illegal camping and occupying a public site. how ridiculous is that. what do all the adds say. you tired?? have a sleep. oh very well but where the hell are you sposed to sleep? on the side of the road so that when the next drunk drives by he can clean up your car or are you just sposed to hope for the best and try and make it home? maybe the law might be happier if we just multitask and sleep while we drive!

oh and dont get me started on what ive seen cops in this town do!

picture this:
you have a round about.
at the entrance of a round about you have a triangle road island usually for padestrians
normal people would choose to go AROUND the round about espcially in the middle of town at LUNCHTIME
but no, dimwit copper decides to go around the TRIANGLE ROAD ISLAND.....no lights no siren nothing.
cars everywhere, padestrians everywhere, in the middle of lunch hour.

what do you think would happen if you tryed that and got busted???
davway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:24   #8 (permalink)
Proudly Average

this has been the law for years, guys - Dellboy has it right - you have to show an active intention not to drive, so even if you're in your own front yard, lose the keys and GET IN THE BACK.

If i could be bothered, i'd dig out my textbooks and post up some MV cases... some are phkn funny!
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 07:57   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Toed
However, another point should be made.

The guys father said he took his sons keys from him to stop him driving. This implies that the father was with his son when he decided to sleep in the car. How hard would it have been for the father to take his son home?
If I had a son who was incapable of driving I would take him home. I'd want my son to be safe (regardless of his age) and make sure he got home safely.
There wasn't anything mentioned in the story about why the guy slept in the car and didn't get a ride home with his father, friends, taxi, whatever. It's just the impression I got from watching it.
You may want your son to be safe but your son may want his car to be safe, so there is one reason to stay with your car, so it doesn't get stolen. :)
Old 01-08-2004, 17:00   #10 (permalink)
Fords biggest Freak

The way I see it, he cannot be booked for drinking and drinking as the coppers would have NO proof of that happening. Sure he has a reading, but did they actually see him driving the vehicle?

in charge of a motor vehicle whilst asleep... do they really expect the poor bloke to pull either the spare key out of his pocket or take the keys back off of his father, start the car up AND drive away... WHILE ASLEEP! I've heard of sleep walking, but not sleep driving. You cannot drive a motor vehicle while sleeping. I understand that he should have sat in the back, but that's beside the point.

The day I see somebody start a car and drive it while 'sleeping'... I'll sell my car for 50cents!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub