Another $$ "Speeding Initiative" $$ - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2002, 17:05   #1 (permalink)
Soon to become: Jake_XR6

Another $$ "Speeding Initiative" $$

Traffic light cameras to hit speeders
By Andrew Heasley, Richard Baker
May 9 2002

Motorists who speed through a red light will be fined for two offences after the introduction of 50 new high-tech cameras across Melbourne.

The flashless cameras can record two offences at once: drivers who speed through an intersection, even on a green light; and those running red lights. This means motorists could face fines of at least $325 if they commit both offences.

advertisement

advertisement

The digital "red light-green light" cameras will be installed at secret locations, predominantly black spot intersections and could be operating in three to four months. They are expected to contribute to an 84.8 per cent rise in traffic fine revenue forecast in Tuesday's state budget. This revenue is expected to grow by $156 million to $336.6 million in the next financial year. The number of fines is expected to rise from 903,000 to 1.7 million.

Premier Steve Bracks yesterday urged motorists to be cautious when approaching traffic lights, saying they should stop at amber lights rather than speed to cross the intersection.

But opposition transport spokesman Geoff Leigh predicted more rear-end crashes as motorists brake sharply when lights turn amber.

The government announced $6 million for the new cameras in Tuesday's budget. They will be set to tolerate motorists exceeding the speed limit by only 3kmh.

Mr Bracks denied the government was unfairly trapping motorists by installing speed cameras at traffic lights. "My plea to motorists is to not pay the fines. And they can not pay the fines by not speeding. It's very, very simple," he said. "Obviously people are going to get fined until they stop speeding."

Victoria Police assistant commissioner for traffic operations Ray Shuey said the new cameras should slow traffic through intersections.

He said 2600 people were killed or seriously injured in more than 5000 crashes at traffic-light-controlled intersections in Victoria last year.

He expected an immediate 20 per cent drop in crashes when cameras are installed.

More than 50,000 motorists were booked running red lights last year, Mr Shuey said.

He commended Victoria's two million drivers who had not lost any licence demerit points. ''If they can drive at the normal speed and not go through red lights, why can't the rest of us?"

Most cameras would be at intersections in Melbourne's high-growth corridors and would not have warning signs, he said.

They had been tested last year and were used widely overseas and in Canberra, where they had cut deaths at intersections by more than 70 per cent and crashes by 36 per cent, he said.

Mr Leigh blasted the government for sinking bipartisan support for road safety measures and for turning police into tax collectors. He said motorists trying to clear wide intersections, such as those along the multi-lane highways, would be unfairly fined.
Air Intake: T-Series, K&N Filter.
Brakes: Calipers painted red, DBA slotted rotors & Lucas pads.
Windows: Tinted.
Gearstick: Shortened.
Fuel: Dual Fuel.
Dyno: 143 rwKw (Dynodynamics - shootout mode).
Heathcote: 15.87 @ 89.1 Mph.
BLACK XR6-VCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2002, 17:37   #2 (permalink)

Had them in Cnaberra for about a year or maybe more.:bwhaaaaaa

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 17:56   #3 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Set to just 3km/h over the limit. What a bloody joke.

Best way to get around these cameras is to drive in the middle of two lanes. The cameras are positioned to target the middle of each lane.

Not putting warning signs up is a joke. That's called entrapment. Give the motorists a chance Bracksy or we'll give you the arse at the next election. Your choice.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 18:14   #4 (permalink)
'Black Beauty'

Dont worry FM, the festy will never get caught speeding!

You could always drive on the footpath like you usually do!

Cheers

Tony

XR6-XR8 Club of QLD
XRMK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 18:46   #5 (permalink)

I feel a fake-plate-flipping-thingy-for-my-car comming on... :s6: :s5 :s6:
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 19:08   #6 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

If Victoria was so concerned with safety, and preventing accidents caused by unsafe drivers (through red light camera's and/or speed camera's).... why dont they put signs up before the camera's to warn people?

If people are warned prior to reaching these so called black spots, they are more likely to be very cautious, and less likely to cause any accidents..

oh wait... victorian government isnt interested in saving lives.... they are only interested in making money.
Old 05-08-2002, 19:15   #7 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

That bloody sucks. There's a moment when you're approaching lights that your distance to them is too close to hit the brakes (without locking them up and/or stopping way over the stop line) and too far to get through the amber without having to floor it (and exceed the speed limit) to get through safely.

Quote:
Originally posted by FM
Best way to get around these cameras is to drive in the middle of two lanes. The cameras are positioned to target the middle of each lane.
Hey, if Taxis can do it so can we! They've been doing it since the dawn of time.

Quote:
Originally posted by FM
Not putting warning signs up is a joke. That's called entrapment. Give the motorists a chance Bracksy or we'll give you the arse at the next election. Your choice.
It's not entrapment. If you break the law and are caught then it's your own fault. I hate speed cameras and the revenue they collect as much as the next person, but I honestly don't believe there need to be signs telling us that there is a speed or red light camera ahead. If we choose to exceed the speed limit or go through red lights then we pay the consequences if we're caught.

Sure the signs encourage us to slow down and be safer, but technically we shouldn't be speeding in the first place.

Those above comments refer to city driving. Like others, I believe country speed limits should be higher with better quality roads.

/ducks into bunker

EDIT: I typed up this reply before seeing Kelli's post. I'm not arguing with you about the signage. Just my point of view.:s6:
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 19:26   #8 (permalink)

so it's true you can get away with it if you drive between two lanes?
Old 05-08-2002, 21:50   #9 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Yes Pearly.. I've been involved in the set up of the canberra ones. They are set to the middle of each lane. One Lense per lane.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 21:52   #10 (permalink)

don't they pick up a wide shot though? the camera shots I've seen seem to pick up a fair bit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub