AP Almost Does a Laminge - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2002, 14:52   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

eek AP Almost Does a Laminge

Suburban street, second gear, very small throttle. Turning left at a typical intersection when suddenly a clunk comes from the rear end and the back of the car launches sideways. Before I know it I'm navigating down the road through the driver's side window :oo1:

Thankfully a generous foot load of throttle stopped the car launching into the nearby parked cars (a trick I learnt from the Champ cars?), but it was close.

Is that clunk the diff thing people talk about? It felt like a sudden burst of wheelspin on the inside wheel, as if the car had a Detroit Locker setup.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2002, 14:57   #2 (permalink)
gone

I must admit I have tears in my eyes:s3 :s3 :s3 :s3

AP I can just picture you sitting in the passanger seat trying to control the car...
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 15:00   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Pete,

Glad you saved it mate. From what it sounds like, the LSD kicked in when you put the power down. Happened to a guy with an XR6 in the club.

Must say if i was in that situation i'd probably freak out and the last thing i'd do is put the foot down.
:oo1: :oo1:

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 16:06   #4 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

PETE. thats not good, im glad to hear you saved it!!
The last thing I would have done in that situation is apply the throttle. In a emergency situation, I would always hit the brakes.
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 16:15   #5 (permalink)
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks

It sounds odd, but in certain oversteer situations (and this is also dependent on the type of car you're driving) the throttle will help correct your attitude, so IMO AP did the right thing by hitting the gas when the arse came out.
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 16:39   #6 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

If you back off, the moment the wheels gain traction again they spit you off in any old direction. The old Commodore IRS was a pearler for this! Anyhow, I got away with it this time.

I think it's time to shim up the LSD cones and lock this baby up a bit tighter. Would be more predictable I think.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 16:44   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by HP Dude
It sounds odd, but in certain oversteer situations (and this is also dependent on the type of car you're driving) the throttle will help correct your attitude, so IMO AP did the right thing by hitting the gas when the arse came out.
I totally agree with what Pete did, it's just that i don't think my skills aren't adequete enough to apply throttle to correct such situations.

When the back end stepped out in the VT all i did was wait until it settled again. Too scared to apply throttle. :dead: :dead:

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 17:58   #8 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY

I totally agree with what Pete did, it's just that i don't think my skills aren't adequete enough to apply throttle to correct such situations.

When the back end stepped out in the VT all i did was wait until it settled again. Too scared to apply throttle. :dead: :dead:
Yeah spot on. Although I KNOW applying te throttle will get you out of trouble, still, i always hti the brakes in an mergency situation.
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 18:04   #9 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Your very lucky!!!

glad you didnt get hurt, or do any damage to your baby.

I would hate for you to turn up to one of the club meetings with peices of your car in a paper bag... or even worse - in a large coffee jar!
Old 02-03-2002, 23:41   #10 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

Lucky Save AP! Dead right about applying more throtle in that situation. Its amazing to think that 95% of people would think that lifting off or applying the brakes would be the thing to do however that causes more problems...

Car control should be taught to people at learner level but hey lets just give anyone a licence who can drive around the block... Think I will leave my rant here as all of us know how crap the system is... and thats before we even get onto speed limits and revenue! ARH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub