Article : VFACTS figures almost here - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2002, 13:21   #1 (permalink)

Article : VFACTS figures almost here

From www.newsmotoring.com.au - some very interesting reading - bring on the VFACTS report!!!

Quote:
Car sales steer to a record
By Neil McDonald
06nov02

HOLDEN and Ford have put some heat back in the new car market, according to industry sales figures due today.

The national VFACTs industry figures, compiled by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries, are expected to show strong October sales of Commodore and Falcon models.
Holden is tipped to have blitzed the market, selling more than 17,000 vehicles, of which about 9500 were Commodores.

October's VFACTs figures are expected to show that more than 70,000 vehicles were sold for the month, up about 8 per cent in year-to-date terms and heading for an expected sales record of 820,000 for the year.

Holden's month is believed to be one of its best ever.

The Commodore has been its star car, dominating the Falcon in the large passenger car market for 61 consecutive months.

Commodore sales represent almost 50 per cent of large car purchases nationally, and the model is strongly preferred by fleet buyers.

Earlier this year, Holden sales and marketing managing director Ross McKenzie said the company could reach best-ever sales of 176,000 cars if economic conditions remained favourable.

The VFACTs figures are expected to show Holden leading sales, followed by Toyota, Ford, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Mazda, Hyundai, Subaru, Honda and Mercedes-Benz.

The strong overall result has been buoyed by strong interest in the new Commodore and Falcon ranges, as well as Toyota's Camry and Mitsubishi's Magna.

Ford's spirits, lifted by the arrival of the Falcon, were kept aloft by sales of more than 5000 Falcons last month.

However, Ford's once dominant ute is feeling the squeeze from the facelifted Commodore ute, of which Holden sold more than 1300, beating the Falcon by about 150.

Mazda posted its best-ever October result, with more than 3600 sales, of which 897 were the new Mazda 6.

Despite most marques recording good months, Korean maker Hyundai experienced a sales slide.

It is believed to have sold just 2000 vehicles last month, an alarming slip since June, when it recorded 4241 sales. Sales fell again in July to 3009, and continued to soften in August and September with 2224 and 2062 vehicles sold, respectively.

The company has tried to reverse the trend by slashing prices of its new, small Getz hatch by $1000 and making air-conditioning standard for a limited time.

It had tipped sales of 1500 a month for the Getz, but October figures will show it moved about 500 of the small car after an $8 million marketing campaign.

Further price cuts are tipped for other Hyundai models.

Hyundai's situation has not been helped by the recent departure of marketing general manager Peter Evans.

The Australian
marktx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2002, 13:49   #2 (permalink)
Evil Holden Overlord

Quote:
However, Ford's once dominant ute is feeling the squeeze from the facelifted Commodore ute, of which Holden sold more than 1300, beating the Falcon by about 150.
That's unexpected ...
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 14:22   #3 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Are those 1300 utes purely VY, or a mix with VX run out sales?
Old 11-06-2002, 14:27   #4 (permalink)
Evil Holden Overlord

Thats the big Q - I'd assume it would be a mix, but then I'd also assume that the Falcon numbers would be a mix of AUIII runout and BA units ...
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 15:12   #5 (permalink)
The Third Power

unfortunately the data does tell the mix.

I think this is the first time Holden have sold more utes than ford and it will be a lesser figure as far as runouts I guess they both stands for both models
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 15:15   #6 (permalink)
Owner Of Tommy Turbo

I suppose as long as Holden is the preferred vehicle for Fleet Buyers, Ford aren't just gonna sweep the sales from under Holden feet. Although, I expect next months figures will be closer. All us people awaiting deliveries of cars, is that considered a purchase???? Or does the purchase not count until the buyer takes delivery? There could be a few hundred/thousand BA's on order
saleen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 15:17   #7 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

remember the XR8 arent here yet tho..

Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 15:21   #8 (permalink)
The Third Power

I think ford will be happy with the increase over last year out right dominence is not going to happen overnight
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 15:37   #9 (permalink)
RACE

I don't think Ford will have out right dominance for a long time. As long as sales are close and profit is made Ford has acheived its goal.
Old 11-06-2002, 15:46   #10 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

agreed Strife, If Ford can take the market lead (and I believe they will soon) It will take time and a bit more money. But I don't think that is what Geoff is all about at the moment.
What he wants is a return to a healthy profit margin.
You don't have to be on top to make the most money.
Eg Nintendo played second fiddle to Sony for the years of PS1 vs N64 but nintendo made nearly 18x the profit (nearly 1.5billion)
The other thing that will hold Ford back from a return to the top is production times.
When Holden open up again with a third production shift they'll be able to make over 650 cars a day (if there suppliers IE WALKERS AUSTRALIA could ever keep up) compared to 412? When shopping for a new car people would rather wait weeks not months and this may push some sales Holdens way.
Oh well we will see I guess.
At least all the Ford owners can be happy with the fact that we now OWN THE ROAD
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub