Assistance From Members - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2002, 12:06   #1 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Assistance From Members

Hello everyone. I am writting this today to see if I could get some assistance from you all.

What I would like to ask is that members here that get emails from other members stating that they can not connect if you can forward some information to them.

There seems to be issues with Telstra and they are not going to resolve this anytime soon. So to inform those that are affected I am asking to have fellow members let those others know. I have tried a few test runs on emails to the affected members and they are being rejected as no host found or other assorted errors.

I appreciate the help that you guys give. Just let them know that the site is up and we are trying to work with Telstra to get this resolved. That the issues are not this server but a core router at Telstra that is keeping the information from flowing through to the members.

If there was more that I could do I would. I appreciate everyones patience on this and we should be back to 10o% soon.

John Oliver
Owner: Ford Forums.com
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2002, 16:29   #2 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang GT Member

John,
My name is Derek and it has been awhile since I was last on line. Just wanted to let you know that the site looks really cool and professional; it is especially user friendly. Thanks so much for all the great work.
Derek Porter
djporters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 01:53   #3 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Hey John. Do you have more info about this? Are you saying some Aussies can't connect to FF because of a problem with Telstra?

I've found a really weird issue myself this weekend:

I don't use an ISP - I dial into work and get onto the net through work. Our company uses Telstra to get to the Internet (BigPoind Direct).
What I've found this weekend is if I try to connect to FF using IE6 (on my XP lappy) I get a message in the status bar saying "Connecting to 209.197.243.98" which is the same IP address I get when I ping fordforums.com, yet the ping times out. After aboput 10 seconds IE6 displays a "This page cannot be displayed" error and at the bottom is a "Cannot find server or DNS Error" message.

Yet, I use Terminal Services to get onto a machine at work I can connect to FF just fine (it's how I'm typing this now). If I ping fordforums.com from that machine it resolves as the same IP address as above. The ping times out as well though.

I have tried 2 different proxy servers at work, and also no proxy server, and I have tried restarting our dial in server to no avail. Then I see this thread and realise, "Ah, good old Telstra serving the community in its usual manner."

We have web traffic monitoring software in place and I have disabled it all but to no avail.

What's weird is I can connect to FF from a machine at work yet not from home dialled into work. All other websites work fine. I'll see tomorrow if my lappy can connect to FF when I'm physically on the LAN.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Maybe it's nothing to do with what you're posting about. Maybe I just suck at diagnosing and fixing my network problems. Who knows... Damn computers.
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 08:19   #4 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

The only thing at this point i can think of is for Telstra to clear the Cache or reload the tables.

Can you get to any other site hosted on this server?

http://www.1le.net
http://www.tristategm.com

even GMforums.com

?
Old 07-14-2002, 16:44   #5 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Quote:
Originally posted by LunaticSS
Can you get to any other site hosted on this server?

http://www.1le.net
http://www.tristategm.com

even GMforums.com

?
http://www.1le.net - Nope. It times out like FF.
http://www.tristategm.com - Yes. It comes up immediately.
http://discussions.gmforums.com - Nope. Times out like FF.

What's weird is now when I'm at work, I can't get to FF either from my laptop ot from the machine I used last night. I am currently using Terminal Services to connect to a machine in our Cary, NC, USA head office and I'm connected to FF that way.

I've just changed my proxy to use one of our US proxies and I can connect to FF from my laptop. This is strange as it wouldn't when I was dialled in last night. Also, all of the 3 sites you mentioned work with the US proxy.

Damn Tel$tra

Thanks for the info, John.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 17:34   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

well, I haven't been able to get on to FF since thursday night ... This is my old dial up account.
I have tried pinging and tracert using the site's IP but no good. I have sent an email to telstra advising them of this.
I pay a fortune for ADSL and whilst its great.. it's only great when it works!!!
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 17:37   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

update,, just tried tristategm.com and it came up fine ..1le.net ... no go
.. still no FF ... sob
Old 07-14-2002, 21:51   #8 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

John,

I recieved an email from motomk yesterday saying that he couldn't access the forums. I told him that there was supposedly a problem with telstra dialup, and if he was with them, that might be his problem.

smciner1

Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 22:10   #9 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

ok lookslike we are back. I had no part in that. GOd only knows what my longdistance bill is going to look like. And I can tell you what. They are freaking idiots there. WTF is my tracert to my server going to matter when i am not even a client of telstra. They would not listen to a damn word i said.

I think it is time to start looking for a mirror site to help with the connectivity issues if there are ones like this in the future.

I appologize guys. I have been SOL trying get this fixed.

Rumor has it that it is fixed now. I want to thank those involved with putting up with my crap and helping me out. Say thanks to Russell W and XA for putting up with tests and doing things on the AU side for me.
Old 07-14-2002, 22:16   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

No worries john... obviously I am back!

of all the times to be off FF it's the days the AV/AY/BA pics are released!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub