ATSB Stats Show That Focus on Speed Cameras is a Facade - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2003, 16:26   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

ATSB Stats Show That Focus on Speed Cameras is a Facade

NSW introduced speed cameras in 1993 although as we know they didn't all get out there straight away. I won't even begin to talk about Victoria which is a disgrace however the reasonable and admittedly moderate high visibility deployment of cameras in NSW has achieved dubious results.

Take a look at the attached graph and note the vast improvements introduced by airbags and other ADR69 measures. The reduction in road deaths has indeed stalled and in any case there isn't much credibility (after ADR69) left for showing reductions related to speed cameras.

I have highlighted certain periods in the timeline with some measures introduced, however please do not take these literally as even then some uncertainties arise and the graphs ultimately do not account for economic exposures.

Note the big change from motorbike licencing courses.......

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2003, 17:32   #2 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Re: ATSB Stats Show That Focus on Speed Cameras is a Facade

That graph looks like speed cameras have actually increased the no of deaths between mid 90s to 2000. Perhaps this is right as people are so worried about looking out for speed cameras, that they forget to look out for all of the other things you should be watching when driving - things like other vehicles, pedestrians, changing conditions etc.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 02:22   #3 (permalink)
P1mp Daddy

The Intro of better rider training sees the rate of motorcycle deaths fall.

I can also see how that would work for drivers as well. I dare say that you can get your licence far too easily in Victoria. I did a lap around broady and they gave me my licence. No instructor, nothin. Sure i had at least 200 hrs experience (had my leaners since 16, mum always made me drive when i was in the car), but vic roads didn't know that.

The only person i know that has failed their p's, was a bloke doing his manual licence.

If you can make motorists more "aware" of their surroundings and better drivers then you will also see a further decline in motorcycle fatalities as well.

But anyway Pete, not to get all Fight Club / Matrix on your ass, isn't Society / Govt all a facade and a system of control ? Ultimately, the govt needs money to run, and they see speed cameras as a quick cash injection.

If they though long term, and tried to save a greater number of lives, they would see more money than from the cameras... think how much money/tax that a person uses and circulates though the economy if they arn;t dead :)

Ha. rant over

Will
Old 10-31-2003, 13:56   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

JC, the rise in the road toll from the mid 90s might be due to the end of the recession, hence more kays being covered, more traffic etc.

Still, there seems to be a consistent pattern to these results. The downwards trend in Queensland's road toll is slowed since the introduction of speed cameras (1997)
HO HO HO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub