AU III - GT - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2001, 14:32   #1 (permalink)
Classic Capri Member

AU III - GT

I thought I would post my views on the AU III and a possible GT. I think Ford will release the 35th GT at the melbourne motor show BUT it will be fitted with the 5.4litre 310kW six speed (mayby not the six speed, but hopefully they do and they fix the shift quality).

The reason I say this is that Tickford has the last allocation of 500 windosr engines (read that in motor or something), and since the new T serries will more than likely be a big hit I would expect that they would use these engines up pretty quickly on these cars not leaving enough to put in a 300 odd batch of 35th GT.

I see this a Fords chance to "introduce" the new engine into the ford line up before the release of the AV serries to promote the new technology that will be employed across the up coming ford range, like Holden has done in the past with the GTS and that super duper ****ty rear suspension with the extra link.

Just my thoughts, any please feel free to comment.

David:thumbup: or:thumbdown
IRPACAUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2001, 14:40   #2 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Sounds fair enough to me. Although I can see an AU III GT being a limited run vehicle like the EB/EL versions. Maybe this would happen to clear out the remaining windsors.. :confused:
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 14:52   #3 (permalink)
Classic Capri Member

My thoughts were that a limited run would at least consist of around 300 cars therefore not enough engines to left after the T serries sells the 500 odd engines that tickford have only got.

I am hoping this is the case for to reasons.
1. the new T serries sells its pants off
2. the GT will dilute the "HSV coupe" when it wipes it off the road with superior handling, acceleration, stopping, top speed, and refinement.
IRPACAUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 15:20   #4 (permalink)

I agree. Tickford claim they have some where between 400- 500 motors so you would think that would rule out the GT with the old donk.

Do you think Ford would release A gt with the new motor before the rest of the range was ready to go. Wouldn't that takes something away from the AV launch at the end of the year?
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 16:01   #5 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by HSE2
Do you think Ford would release A gt with the new motor before the rest of the range was ready to go. Wouldn't that takes something away from the AV launch at the end of the year?
I don't think they would to be honest. Like you say Ian it would take away from the Barra launch later in the year..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 17:47   #6 (permalink)
Australian Member

I'm glad someone else brought this up, because I was wondering the exact same thing. Having the GT as AU III doesn't seem to add up. If they are actually bringing BACK the GT, and it's not just making a once every half a dozen years appearance, then I don't think it matters greatly as we'll get an AV GT anyway. If this is yet another once off, I think a lot of people may have finally had a gutful with ford.

Anyway, they say they want 310 kilowatts, and seeing as GT's are always atmo cars and 250kw seems to be the up most that can be milked from the windsor without the intervention of Herrods, I'd say they'd pretty much HAVE to go with the 5.4
Gruntly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 18:42   #7 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

I guess you are meaning a GT using the AU body.I'm not sure of the engineering needed to put a quad cam 5.4 into the AU shell.It may be too much to do when it could be left to come out in the AV.I think it would be better to wait and have a GT in the AV lineup using the new motor.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 19:18   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Thumbs up

I doubt the 5.4L would easily fit in a AU bay. If it does they should concider it. (even just for a 5 model run)

Ford will get rid of those last V8s soon enough, keeping a few for spares or something nodoubt.

One thing ford could definately do is release the DOHC 24 Valve Turbo 4.0 into the t-series early.. That would provide a tasty preview of the AV cars. It wouldn't even interfer with the current AUIII V8 lineup.. So by the time the Av hits we have a rought idea of the power of one of the engines.

But Ford just invested heaps into the stroker... Im sure they won't put the 5.4L into a AU because otherwise they would have ditched the stroker for either the 4.6 or 5.4L in the AU would have cost the same..

AV can't arrive fast enought...
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 20:56   #9 (permalink)

I can't see Ford bringing out an AU GT at all. Especially not with 5.4 or 4.6 motor, the engineering required to make it fit properly (I'm talking production here, not one off 300+ Coupe show car) would be too time consuming and costly when you consider AV is due ot in a years time.
The 5.6 Windsors should find homes in T-Series and Pursuit utes without too much trouble, if sales are slow Ford could whack a few in XR8 sedans as well.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 20:58   #10 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

I read somewhere a little while ago that Ford AU bought up the last lot of the Windsors.. something like 10,000?? If Tickford have something like 400 or 500 left, then they mustve put quite a few of em on the roads by now..
discokin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub