Au Iii Xr8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2004, 05:49   #1 (permalink)

Au Iii Xr8

Whats the AU III XR8 like? I have noticed they have become very reasonably priced. I want to get something I can use for track days, are there many aftermarket parts around? I would probably want bigger brakes and lower harder suspension and when I could afford it some minor engine modifications. I dont really care much about looks or the interior so I think this would be better than getting a BA seeing as the AU is lighter anyway. What do you guys think?
lizardmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2004, 06:13   #2 (permalink)
XR82GO

Re: Au Iii Xr8

Yeah Au's are pretty good on the track.

Scrap the factory brakes as they just dont hold up at all.
the xr Premiums are pretty good with a set of good pads in them.
The factory Brembos are better again and so on.

Suspension you can get pretty much everything from a standard shock/ spring kit up to coil overs etc (what ever you want pretty much)

Engine work well lol the 5.0L windsor has been in the Mustang in the states for years as well as here mate there are 10000's of parts available.
Grab a Fordmotorsport catologue, check out TRICKFLOW HEADS/INTAKES/CAMS

Surf the Windsor forum you'll find heaps of people that have done pretty much everything. Even the extreme end of the scale with Minge having done Blower/stroker/nos/intercooler etc etc.

Good luck on the track mate

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 06:13   #3 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Excellent choice. Engine mods wise, if you can find a car with a more moddable engine then the XR8's (302 Windsor), I'll give you a medal. AU's handle better then BA's from what I've heard, and brake & suspension upgrades shouldn't be expensive.
Old 08-14-2004, 13:29   #4 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

They are a great car !!! Dont touch the motor there hand built from Tickford and they did a top job, they respond very well to a good exhaust, and K&N, thats good for another 14 to 16 rwkw, allthough alloy heads work well on them as well and save some KGs, as for the brakes if you dont want to spend a fortune some DBA X drilled & slotted rotors and some good pads fix the brakes King springs will settle the handling down a bit they are a very well balanced car anyway. Hope this helps.....
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 16:40   #5 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
Whats the AU III XR8 like? I have noticed they have become very reasonably priced. I want to get something I can use for track days, are there many aftermarket parts around? I would probably want bigger brakes and lower harder suspension and when I could afford it some minor engine modifications. I dont really care much about looks or the interior so I think this would be better than getting a BA seeing as the AU is lighter anyway. What do you guys think?
The AUIII XR8s aren't much lighter than a BA, not that that isn't a reason to get one, but FYI the AUIII XR8 weighs in around 1700+kgs and the BA is around 1750kg I believe give or take. So there is bugger all in it. You can thank the oh so sweet IRS in the AU for that.

As for the motor, the 220kw go hard with exhaust and intake mods. Cheap bang for your bucks and low 14s on the 1/4 so long as you purchase a manual. The Auto just kills the car.

If you want a good suspension setup for the track, I suggest you contact Falkeen, I believe he had a coil over setup with adjustable ride height, just the thing for dialing out that wheel arch gap at the front!
Old 08-14-2004, 18:33   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Au Iii Xr8

[QUOTE=YOOT]The AUIII XR8s aren't much lighter than a BA, not that that isn't a reason to get one, but FYI the AUIII XR8 weighs in around 1700+kgs and the BA is around 1750kg I believe give or take. So there is bugger all in it. You can thank the oh so sweet IRS in the AU for that.

Not a lot in it just have a look at these figures.
BA XR8 1795 kgs, 260kw 6.11, 0to100,14.36, 400m Motor mag
AU XR8 1660 kgs, 220kw 6.4, 0to100 14.58, 400m Motor mag
The AU is by far the better car push hard in, But you dont get the BAs refinment. The AU is a very well sorted car with very few vices, you miss out on the warrenty issues you get with the BA
Street machine Feb 2002
Motor mag Jan 2002

Old 08-14-2004, 19:00   #7 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Keyboard drag racer strikes again.
Old 08-15-2004, 00:12   #8 (permalink)
I wanna eat your children

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
Keyboard drag racer strikes again.

lol, i was just about to mention that quoting motor etc on drag times wouldnt be a good idea....you'll get flamed

no one really mentioned the cost factor that he has obviously noticed considering his first post.

with the cars closely matched on most things....and seeing as how he wants to mod it....with the money he saves buying the AU, he can spend more on mods and eventually kill the BA. obviously he can buy a BA and start his mods already having an advantage over the AU...but he'll be spending a lot more money that way
Old 08-15-2004, 02:07   #9 (permalink)

I found one sitting in a dealer with 10,000 ks on it with pretty much no optional extras. How much do you reckon I should try and get it for they want mid thirties. It has the normal brakes (they are smaller than my 1000kg hatch) can I find seconhand premium brakes off a T version or are kits better? Do any of you know the prices for some brake kits?
lizardmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 03:24   #10 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Au Iii Xr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
I found one sitting in a dealer with 10,000 ks on it with pretty much no optional extras. How much do you reckon I should try and get it for they want mid thirties. It has the normal brakes (they are smaller than my 1000kg hatch) can I find seconhand premium brakes off a T version or are kits better? Do any of you know the prices for some brake kits?
$6500 for a full set of Brembos as used on the T3s and GTPs, that'll stop it.....
Street machine Feb 2002
Motor mag Jan 2002

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub