AU quirks. Will the BA fix these issues? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2002, 18:42   #1 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

Question AU quirks. Will the BA fix these issues?

Hi guys,

Was wondering if you would like to list the most annoying quirks your AUI/II/III has that you woud like to see fixed in the BA. (Obviously apart from styling and other things that we know will be improved.)

I myself have driven a few AU's now (AUI Forte, AUII XR8 Ute for example) and would like to list what I think are the biggest concerns for me about these models.

1) Power window mechanism: SLOW and NOISY!!! I mean really bad on every Falcon I have driven since the EL. To the point where it almost stops halfway up. Bring back the EB mechanism!

2) Door closing mechanism: Seems to have lost that comforting 'clunk' when you close it. The EL's doors sounded much better.

3) Dash squeaks: Especially from behind the beer drinker's belly center dash cover.

4) Digital display backlight: Who ever thought black on backlit grey was a good idea? Bring back the EL back light....nice!

5) $1.50 Digital clock: Yes....very Daewoo....get rid of it.

Anyway, thought this might be a good place to renew our thoughts on some of the most annoying AU traites and maybe Geoff Polities could give us some feedback as well :)
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2002, 19:06   #2 (permalink)
BA Turbo

Re: AU quirks. Will the BA fix these issues?

Quote:
Originally posted by minteafalcon
2) Door closing mechanism: Seems to have lost that comforting 'clunk' when you close it. The EL's doors sounded much better.

NO WAY MAN! EL/EF "groan" and moan is horrible compared to the reassuring "glock" of the au's :s2:
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 23:16   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Raise mounting point of rear vision mirror on windscreen at least 30mm,is a definite blind spot for tall ppl,have had two near misses so far.
Old 09-14-2002, 16:13   #4 (permalink)

Agree with John Mc. I had an additional mount for the rear view mirror placed about 50mm higher. Now those to the front left of my car are that bit safer.
I have heard that the interior height is reduced? I hope not as I will be puching my boof head through the sunroof :(
Big Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 19:51   #5 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Yep, what John and Ross said. I've never driven an AU but I have an EL and the rear vision mirror is in a very awkward spot considering my height (202 cm).

Also, does the AU have a lower roof than the EL? A few weeks ago I caught a taxi to the airport and I had a sore back at the time and it was a murdurous trip because I was slightly hunched over. The passenger seat in the EL seemed much more roomy. If the BA has an even lower roof than the AU then I really hope the seats are lower as well.

I know that creaking doors and dashes are annoying, but comfort while driving is more important that all those things put together in my opinion. Especially if you're a huge bugger!

Secondary to that are the power windows. Mine gradually got slower and slower until sometimes they'd stop and I'd have to pull them up manually. So to close the window I'd have to drive along with my knees keeping the steering wheel straight, my left hand on the window button and my right hand pulling the window up! But I've had it fixed so it's OK now.
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 20:30   #6 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Re: AU quirks. Will the BA fix these issues?

Quote:
Originally posted by minteafalcon

1) Power window mechanism: SLOW and NOISY!!! I mean really bad on every Falcon I have driven since the EL. To the point where it almost stops halfway up. Bring back the EB mechanism!
Mine were like that (AUII XR6 HP) well supposedly the power window regulators are part of a mandetory service change. They fixed it for me and now they are quiet as. Not 100% on what was changed - but it is good :) They certainly aren't quick to go up but not slow either.

Just fine now that they have been serviced.
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 03:40   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

In regards to minteafalcons complaints, here are my opinions on them:

Mine seem to be ok, there going up and down at good speed, and i've already had my recall work done on them.

I feel that the AU has a much better quality feel to the doors over the EL and very well sealed, seems to have 2 door seals as opposed to one in the E series. Yes i do agree that when it closes you only need minimal force, abit like the EB1 wagon we had.

3) Dash squeaks: Especially from behind the beer drinker's belly center dash cover. Yes i agree on this, there seems to be a fair amount of noise, but on closer inspection if they put rubber mounts on where the two plastic parts join the problem would be eliminated. I've started to eliminate a few of the noises my self.

4) Digital display backlight: Who ever thought black on backlit grey was a good idea? Bring back the EL back light....nice!

I actually don't mind the grey LCD, it's a change from the orange of the E-Series. Combined with the blue dials they look classy in my opinion.

5) $1.50 Digital clock: Yes....very Daewoo....get rid of it.

A clock is a clock i'm not too fussed.

Another compaint for me is i found that the mirror in my XR vibrates more than the E Series. If they can put a rubber mount on the joins i think it would eliminate the problem.

I find the seating position in the AU to be ok, on the Eseries i found that my noggin hits the roof but in the AU theres ample space. Oh yeah don't care what anyone else thinks but i find my XR seats to be by far the nicest seats i've sat it.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 04:46   #8 (permalink)

well i hope they fix the sound of the 4.0 from the outside. my dad has an AU S auto and from the outside all you hear is rrrrooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. and the long first gear doesnt help either. it can't be hard to tune a nice sound from the exhaust, i mean BMWs have a nice and resonably loud exhaust tone standard. its all i ask for :-(
CurrenZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 06:11   #9 (permalink)
2nd car....XR6turbo

roar is good. If he didn't want that, he shouldn't have bought the S. and as for the long first gear, maybe u should get the thing out of rocket mode and into adaptive shift mode!!!!!!!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub