AU what to buy( i know nothing) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2002, 21:01   #1 (permalink)

AU what to buy( i know nothing)

guys i know NOTHING when i comes to fords. I have been thinking of getting a new car (1990's is very new for me, celica is 1974)

i want it neat quiet comfy and reliable. only wanted to spend $10K but looks like i may save a bit more for the AU ford 1999 mdl (i think)

anyway i have looked at some and there is a few grills, some i like some i hate! can anyone tell me how to know whats what and how to look for the one i like!

I have attatched the one i like (love the complete car infact

thanks guys
(P.S any hints on this mdl car good bad, what to look for)

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w100200121.jpg (30.6 KB, 285 views)
TurboCelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2002, 21:04   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

The grille in the picture is from the Falcon ute. It is easily fittable to any AU with the 'low series' bonnet.

You might struggle to get a good AU Forte below $10k unless you get lucky at an auction. I'd also consider an EL Falcon, in which case you may be able to afford a more upmarket model such as the Fairmont.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 21:06   #3 (permalink)

here is a grill i dont like

are these mdl specific? or anything like that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg white ford.jpg (14.0 KB, 271 views)
Old 11-25-2002, 21:09   #4 (permalink)

ooops what i ment was i had $10K for a car, but i may now spend the extra say $15K now for a nice ford. want it to have under 100,000 kms on it sick of old cars, leaks rattles etc

thanks

P.S so there is very little chance i'll find a AU 1 that has this grill? :(
esp. black

whats the "low bonnet" do all serries 1 have this?
Old 11-25-2002, 21:13   #5 (permalink)
400 kg ego

The low series bonnet goes downwards in the centre, whereas the AU Fairmont 'high series' bonnet is raised in the centre, with a big grille at the front that looked nothing like the white AU Forte in that pic. The high series bonnet and big grille was fitted to all sedans and wagons from AU II onwards.

My pick of the range is something like an AU II Futura, which looks nice inside and out and have all the essentials such as ABS braking.

If you get an AU I with the low series bonnet, tracking down and replacing the grille would not be difficult, so I wouldn't let it put me off making the purchase.

The AUs are great cars secondhand, so good luck with it. :)

1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Old 11-25-2002, 21:13   #6 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

TurboCelica,

Jack is right in saying the grille is from the utes but it also came fitted to AU sedans. It was a limited model run in late 2000 the AU "Classic" pack. These were much improved over the original AU Forte (waterfall grilles) with added front electric windows, darker interior colours (a move away from the awful AU Forte grey). Lower ride height and probably a few other improvements just prior to the AU2 release.

The 'low series' bonnet (sunken centre section) is only fitted to AU1 sedans (Forte & Futura) all AU1-3 utes and all AU1-3 XR sedans. The AU1 Fairmonts and all other Falcons from AU2 on have the 'raised bonnet' and more prominent grille.

An AU1 'Classic' from 2000 would be a good step up from a '74 Celica and like all AU's are good buying 2nd hand (ie. don't hold their value well).
Old 11-25-2002, 21:17   #7 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Sorry to confuse things further, but my understanding is that the AU Forte grille was retained right up to the release of the AU II in early 2000. Dealers fitted the ute grille at times to help get cars off the showroom floor, and limited edition models, as Raptor mentioned, also featured them.

The AU update in '99 is difficult to tell apart from the original from the outside, unless you are keen enough to pick the lower ride height.

Hope this helps.

1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Old 11-25-2002, 21:19   #8 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

OK, so maybe the AU Classic was a late '99 option pack.
Old 11-25-2002, 22:01   #9 (permalink)

Ok so the first AU1 were a bit average?

i should look for a Classic in 99 or 2000 mdl?
then just buy the grill to swap over.

I gather the price for this car will reflect in it being better ?

Is there anywere i can find the main mdls and what the differences are.

Eg i want that grill, ABS cruse A/C etc

CD player would be nice.

I gather these cars go quite well? and not to bad with fuel
i'm used to the celica 8Lts 100Kms (flogged non stop) and did a 13.5sec quarter.... pain to drive tho so old :)
Old 11-25-2002, 22:05   #10 (permalink)
400 kg ego

There was nothing wrong with the AU except some poor decisions regarding its conception and marketing - it was a good car, but simply not what most people wanted. Its interior was cheap and if anything had less showroom appeal than the EL it replaced. But it made a great taxi.

I wouldn't necessarily look for a Classic model as they are rare - to be honest I haven't heard of them, only the SR.

The AU II is a better car if you can afford it with improved front crash safety, reduced noise levels, added features such as better brakes, slightly restyled dash, 16" wheels on all models, sunglasses holder, etc.

If you want cruise control and ABS standard, the Futura is the pick of the range. A CD player was fitted to all models from the AU II and onwards. An AU II Futura can be had for the low 20s, or maybe even less.

Performance is impressive on all models. An original AU Forte will accelerate 0-100 in 9.0 seconds, and weighed less than its predecessor so used less fuel. LPG versions have running costs on par with a 1.3 litre four cylinder car according to RACV tests.

1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub