AU why do people hate it? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2002, 20:30   #1 (permalink)
Mercury Silver XR6t owner

Question AU why do people hate it?

Hey there
I dont understand why everyone thinks the Au is ugly, i happen to think it looks good. I used to own a Dark green Fairmont and i loved it. It drove much better than the vt, i think. And i never had any problems with it after travelling 140000km in 3 years. interior great. I think the vt had really crap looking interior. the only au i thought looked a bit ugly was the series 1 forte apart from that i dont understand what the problem is!!!!!!!!!!!!! i rented both VT and Au for a week each to make up my mind with my purchase as well............Why Why Why.
OwnaXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2002, 20:45   #2 (permalink)
Evil Holden Overlord

Maybe, outside of this board, you are in the minority?
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 21:44   #3 (permalink)
X-TRAIL 4X4

It all comes down to personal taste.

You say your fairmont drove better than the VT, did you drive a Calais or one of the lesser models?

In my opinion the only AU I would be seen in is an AUIII XR.

The rest of the range didn't come up to the commodore, in terms of styling.

-- Webber + Williams = 2005 Champs --
Stealth00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 22:00   #4 (permalink)

I drove both base models isnt the drive quality pretty much the same. i didnt really like the steering in the vt.
Old 12-02-2002, 22:16   #5 (permalink)
FF Moderator

I like the AU, but admittedly it had to grow on me. Loved my AU XR8, but spent allot of money 'adjusting' its appearance (e.g.lowered, Supercar body kit, pin stripe removal, clear side indicators, colour coding, 265 width wheels etc, etc.

Must admit the T3 grew on me immediately and I still like many of the other T-Series models. IMO the VT-X commodores were easier to like, but alot harder to love.

Canít say I'm that sorry to see the AU shape go however.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 22:21   #6 (permalink)

either am i really. your right about the au having to grow on you ,i couldnt stand them when they first came out but i liked them a few months after.
Old 12-02-2002, 22:37   #7 (permalink)
Wildlife Photographer

I love AU's, especially the current XR's and T-series. The wings they use on the XR's and the bodykits really compliment the look of the AU, it makes it look less droopy. And the T series are just freakin' HORN ! Personally I'd love to buy a black Fairmont Ghia 5.0 L with 17" XR series 3 wheels, lower it and put a phat exhaust on it. As for commodores, they look allright, but I personally dislike the way they steer and I hate the feel of the accelerator. And I think I just love the room & comfort the Ford provides.
Old 12-02-2002, 22:55   #8 (permalink)

Its just a shame ford didnt start off in 98 with the AU3, maybe then sales wouldnt have been so bad. Personally i think the AU's looked alright, except for the fact on the Futura and Fairmont they both had AU2 wheels on them. I think the side skirts and the clear indicators made a difference, aswell as the darker T series headlights on the Forte and Futura. Overall I think they looked alright depending on how they were finished off, for example an AU1 Forte with no extras compared to an AU1 Fairmont Ghia with the 17 inch wheels, Full body kit and spoiler.

This is one notable dissadvantage to the BA range, they nearly all look the same with a set of mags. Might be a good thing, and could be a bad thing in the try hard department like the VT series where people tried to do Executives up like Clubsports etc. We will wait and see.
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 22:58   #9 (permalink)

The biggest problem with the AU was the droopy and dovetailed in, back end. It looked very sad from the rear.

The front end on many, had ridiculous grilles Forte, Fairmont.

The XR' s look OK in the front but again the rear was a disappointment.

Interior wise, the switchgear felt and looked cheap and the general ambience befitted a Taxi - this is of course on the cheaper models.

As far as driving though, they are every bit as good as the Commodores - better in some aspects a little worse in others eg ride better in base Commodore than base Falcon -steering a bit better in the Ford than the Commodore.

It was the looks that killed the AU. The BA from any angle is a much better look.
Old 12-03-2002, 00:43   #10 (permalink)

hey. there was nothing wrong with the fairmonts grill. the forte and the futura wer the ones with the shitty grills. in series I that is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub