AU XR6-t vs AU XR8s/c - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2004, 02:21   #1 (permalink)

Question AU XR6-t vs AU XR8s/c

Just out of bored curiousity does anyone have an opinion, in terms of bang for buck, which option would be better between the two mentioned above?

Let me verify, AUI or II XR8 s/c with a nice amount of driveable boost vs a AUIII VCT Xr6 or maybe even Ghia intercooled and turboed etc.
subsbligh35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2004, 02:44   #2 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Re: AU XR6-t vs AU XR8s/c

Definitley a Supercharged XR8. The inline-six can't stand up to the might of the Windsor V8.

Lets use CAPA as example one.

Vortech V-2 Quiet Kit for the AU 6cyl INTEC & VCT, 285kW: $7,995.00

Vortech V-2 Quiet Kit for the EB-AU 5.0 V8, 300kW: $7,995.00

Thats just one company. There are so many more options available for the Windsor that just leave the Inline-Six behind. Using off the shelf parts, you can make a 2200hp+ Windsor V8. You'd have to go 100% custom with the inline-six, and have extremley deep pockets.

XR8 all the way!
Old 05-18-2004, 02:47   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Definitley a Supercharged XR8. The inline-six can't stand up to the might of the Windsor V8.

Lets use CAPA as example one.

Vortech V-2 Quiet Kit for the AU 6cyl INTEC & VCT, 285kW: $7,995.00

Vortech V-2 Quiet Kit for the EB-AU 5.0 V8, 300kW: $7,995.00

Thats just one company. There are so many more options available for the Windsor that just leave the Inline-Six behind. Using off the shelf parts, you can make a 2200hp+ Windsor V8. You'd have to go 100% custom with the inline-six, and have extremley deep pockets.

XR8 all the way!
That IS just one company (i dont know how that supports ur argument) with there own supercharger kit fitted to different cars. He asked about a supercharged 8 VS a TURBO 6, and i am not quite sure why you think you have to go 100% custom when there are already turbo kits for the I6 out there?

...Bang for your buck in my opinion, the XR6 (why does it have to III, the XR8's saw more of a power change in their 3rd update), which will be cheaper, weigh less and gain more power with the turbo+intercooler setup
Old 05-18-2004, 02:54   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

From what ive seen the turboed 6 would deliver the goods. Look at the BA XR6-T and the XR8, the XR6 turbo only takes a couple of grand and it can run 12-13 second passes as we saw at Heathcote on saturday. The supercharger would make the 8 quick but i'd go with the Turbo 6. Just my opinion.

Cheers,
Brad
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 17:15   #5 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Maybe I didn't say it clearly. I said using completley OFF THE SHELF parts you can make a 2200hp+ Windsor V8. To do this with the I6 you would need to go 100% custom (unless TSA or someone has a Stage 600 or something kit that delivers over 2000hp).

Bang for buck wise, and overall, the 302W beats the 4.0litre hands down every time. It has 42 years of aftermarket development behind it and is the Ford's most popular and widely used small-block. If you think the 4.0 can in any way compete, you're mistaken.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:07   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Maybe I didn't say it clearly. I said using completley OFF THE SHELF parts you can make a 2200hp+ Windsor V8. To do this with the I6 you would need to go 100% custom (unless TSA or someone has a Stage 600 or something kit that delivers over 2000hp).

Bang for buck wise, and overall, the 302W beats the 4.0litre hands down every time. It has 42 years of aftermarket development behind it and is the Ford's most popular and widely used small-block. If you think the 4.0 can in any way compete, you're mistaken.
I think i still need a bit more clarity. What is your definition of off the shelf parts and when did this 2200hp unroadworthy engine (just because they can remake it for a customer doesnt make it is off the shelf) become band 4 your buck? I am sure he was refferring to something, someone could realistically afford if they were going to buy either of these two cars. I also think you should atleast give referrance to where these figures are coming from, and not just pluck figures without explanation of there context and application...
Old 05-19-2004, 01:23   #7 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

a 2200hp windsor will have NOTHING, and I repaet NOTHING from a stock windsor. The stock windsor block itself is only good for around 500hp.

BlueAU - Theres no doubt the factory XR6 Turbos are awesome, as bang for your buck and The only V8 alternative I would ever consider owning. But look at HOTDBZ. How much did he pay for his Turbo AU conversion? 20+K at a guess, and I doubt he'd be any quicker than a 12 second stage 2 BA XR6 Turbo.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:50   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
BlueAU - Theres no doubt the factory XR6 Turbos are awesome, as bang for your buck and The only V8 alternative I would ever consider owning. But look at HOTDBZ. How much did he pay for his Turbo AU conversion? 20+K at a guess, and I doubt he'd be any quicker than a 12 second stage 2 BA XR6 Turbo.
Good point mate, I overlooked the amount of cash Mal put into that car
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 23:14   #9 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

A 2200hp Windsor can be done by way of Dart block, a pair of large turbochargers, and many other parts that are like those used in Pro 5.0 6sec drag cars which can be found on sites such as Summit Racing, Flatlander Racing etc.

Its just an example of whats out there for the Windsor V8. It eclipses the Aussie 4.0 by miles.

For $8,000, you can make a 285kW 4.0 six by way of CAPA s/c kit, just an example.

For $8,000, you can also make a 370kW+ naturally aspirated Windsor V8.

Yeah.. the six-cyl is just an excellent alternative... lets have less power, via forced induction, for the same money. Smart, eh?
Old 05-19-2004, 23:34   #10 (permalink)
BOFH

All comes down to the budget I think. In the end a forced V8 has to be a better option than a forced I6 but there are a heap of variables.
- budget for the donor vehicle
- budget for the mods
- purpose of the vehicle
- expected power

On a budget, to get the most bang for the buck a series 1 forte with a TSA stage 2 turbo kit will be cheaper than a series 1 XR8 with almost no mods to start with. On the other hand, if money is no object then the V8 will end up on top.
Also, whats the use of the car? A drag car? If so a SC V8 would be my choice. A track car? Then go for the turbo I6 for balance and handeling as well as power.

To many variables on the information provided to give an answer I think.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub