AU1 Falcon Assessment - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2001, 03:40   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Smile AU1 Falcon Assessment

Well, i had the privellage in borrowing an AU1 Futura 1998 model for the weekend. Here are my thoughts that i'd like to share and discuss with you's.

Car is a rep-car done 103k, and is in reasonable condition and has not been in an accident. Tyres have been upgraded to the Dunlop Lemans 215 60's 15.

Firstly in the handling department i was very impressed, despite visually looking like the AU is on high heels it corners pretty flat. Equalling to my wagon which has had $1500 worht of suspension upgrades. I did note that there is abit of a thump and bump from the suspension but that is due to stiffer shocks.

About the rear traction a few of you noted that the AU is pretty bad, i'm not sure if it's because i've been driving the horse n cart spring for too long but i felt the rear end grip was great, occasionally on rough roads it gets twichy.
Nothing like the rear end sudden snap of the commodore IRS.

About the driveline and tranny, i felt there was abit of a vague feeling off the mark to say 1250 then it would take off.
I can say to 60km/h a VT commo feels livier, but after that the AU trashes it.
I think the Auto's need a 3.27 diff ratio or a shorter 1st gear in the auto.
Build quality was generally fine with a few squeeks and rattles from the interior and paint comming off the drivers door handle.

One thing i didn't find so pleasant is the engine noise under revs. It feels smoother and idles much quieter than the EF-EL but when accelerating under revs the engine note doesn't sound as good as the EF.

Lastly the brakes in my opinion they leave the EF-EL brakes for dead.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2001, 12:18   #2 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Ever since I sat my arse in the AU I've always thought it was an excellent drivers car. AUI was great, AUII was a little quieter in the cabin but still a great drive.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 13:27   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ford Man AUII was a little quieter in the cabin but still a great drive. [/B]
Had a ride in a friends AU2 XR8 the other week and he was going 110kph and it didn't even feel/sound like it was.
Space Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 13:31   #4 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Re: AU1 Falcon Assessment

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY

there was abit of a vague feeling off the mark to say 1250 then it would take off.
umm??? vague till 1250 ? I know its a six... but when do you drive at all under 1250 ?
Old 12-16-2001, 14:36   #5 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

EF_GuY, good stuff. Its intersting comparing the VT and AU, to see how well the AU actually holds up with the high km's.

The AU11 is much better!!!

I have driven lots of AU1's. and they all rattle, squeak and clunk..
But the other day I drove an AU1 that had 100+ k's and had driven most of its life on dirt roads, and the center dash pod was falling off.. But this was the most quiet AU1 I have ever driven.
NO Clunks, NO Rattles... quite amazing...

Goes to show, some are alot better than others.
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 17:27   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Re: Re: AU1 Falcon Assessment

Quote:
Originally posted by XR8chic

umm??? vague till 1250 ? I know its a six... but when do you drive at all under 1250 ?
What i meant was that it doesnt feel urgent on the initial takeoff. But once going it flys, but not as good as my EF :-).

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
Old 12-16-2001, 17:30   #7 (permalink)
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks

Thumbs up

I cannot complain about the AUI XR6HP. Still feels tight and solid, without any rattles or thumps. I just think the AU's get a bad rap in the same way as everyone likes to kick someone when they're down. Whilst I'm sure there are some average AU's out there (usually high mileage rep mobiles which have not had an easy life), I reckon half the people who bag the AU haven't even sat in one.
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 17:30   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by jaytyn
EF_GuY, good stuff. Its intersting comparing the VT and AU, to see how well the AU actually holds up with the high km's.

The AU11 is much better!!!

I have driven lots of AU1's. and they all rattle, squeak and clunk..
But the other day I drove an AU1 that had 100+ k's and had driven most of its life on dirt roads, and the center dash pod was falling off.. But this was the most quiet AU1 I have ever driven.
NO Clunks, NO Rattles... quite amazing...

Goes to show, some are alot better than others.
Jaytyn,
Thats true mate, goes down to if the car has been looked after or not and i guess luck of assembly if it's the friday arvo model or not. I occasionally drive an AU2 Fairmont and it's brilliant.

Old 12-16-2001, 18:04   #9 (permalink)
BOF

The AU sure isnt a rocket though in IL6 auto form, my EA Ghia with 225km will beat it away from the lights (every time) and my brother EB2 Ghia will dust us both. Only mods to both are exhaust. The AU's just feel very lazy around town, I just straight out of the EA and straight into an AU2 and it's just lazy compared.

BOF covers his head and waits for the attack to start.
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 18:10   #10 (permalink)
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks

Quote:
Originally posted by BOF 351
The AU sure isnt a rocket though in IL6 auto form, my EA Ghia with 225km will beat it away from the lights (every time) and my brother EB2 Ghia will dust us both. Only mods to both are exhaust. The AU's just feel very lazy around town, I just straight out of the EA and straight into an AU2 and it's just lazy compared.

BOF covers his head and waits for the attack to start.
Interesting. A mate of mine has an EA S (30th aniversary edition I think), and when you ride or drive it, it just feels like its flying. Just feels very quick. I even thought it felt quicker than the XR!!
So we organised a drag and the XR absolutely whipped it's arse time after time. For some reason, the EA feel very 'seat of the pants' quick. But then again, my mates EA S may not have any trouble beating a Forte in a drag. Couldn't touch the XR though.
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub