AU1 XR6 Problems/Questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2003, 06:51   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

AU1 XR6 Problems/Questions

Hi guys,

I just have a few queries. First of all I find the ride in my late '99 AU1 XR, really rough. When I go over a bump I really do feel it. On my friends AU3 this is really a mute point. Just wondering if I can improve the ride somehow or is this the result of body work or other adjustments that I cannot really make.

Admittedly my friend does have a VCT with IRS, so this may be another factor in the disparity between rides. His car does feel very stable or at least heavier than mine through the steering.

Next point to consider...

I recently had my engine die due to a faulty oil pump. Thankfully Ford replaced the entire short-end for free.

However since the rebuild, two problems have arisen.

a) there is a small sound that I feel is a loose item. I cannot identify what it is and I do not want to take it to the dealership just yet, as I do not believe everyone is as sensitive about how my car sounds as I am.

b) on very hot days the cruise control light comes on by itself and I start hearing a static noise. I took the car back to the dealership. After running comp diagnostics, no problems were evident.

If anyone has any suggestions or has experienced similar effects, your input would be appreciated.

Thank you
AUboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2003, 13:51   #2 (permalink)
gone

This small sound, where abouts is she comming from?

Also give the electrical connections in the engine bay a double check., ie unplug, visual check, re plug, could be a connection is loose and with the heat , this connection could be breaking

Just some thoughts
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 22:34   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

It is really hard to identify where the sound is coming from. Originally I felt it was coming from the engine bay, however to be honest it might not be.

I have gone around the car tapping/pushing different things to identify the source. I also checked the engine bay to see if I could spot an obvious loose item. I will get under the car next and see if anything reveals itself.
Old 01-28-2003, 13:33   #4 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

The harsh ride is due to the Tickford sports suspension. If you have 17" wheels it will feel a bit harder as well. It's the price you pay for performance handling.

Your mate's IRS will make a big difference in ride as well.

I can't help you with the noise but laminge is correct about the electrical problem. The heat is breaking down the insulation and the electrics are shorting out. Get this looked at as soon as possible in case it causes major damage
Old 01-28-2003, 19:45   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

Ahhh ok...

Thank you for all your comments guys... Really appreciate it.

I was not really sure what the harsh ride was due to ... Now I have more confidence in my car. After I get the electrical problem fixed I might actually put some money into it with greater peice of mind now.

Planning on Rebel kit and front Tickford Lip.
Then some performance mods.
Mabye replace deck and speakers too.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub