AU2 & AU3 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2002, 07:48   #1 (permalink)
GTHO4

AU2 & AU3

Can someone tell me the difference between the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2002, 07:58   #2 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Err.. Basic mechanicals & certain options I think mate. Not a great deal from memory..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 08:08   #3 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

More things that were optional on the AU II are standard on the AU III. Also body coloured mirrors, clear side indicators, different wheels on some models, optional Ford Racing (Rebel) Bodykit on XR8, Series III badge on the boot... and so it goes on.
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 09:40   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Not to mention the darker headlight shade...which, despite being a minor adjustment, makes a significant difference..
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 14:33   #5 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Actually, on AU3 XR8 the Rebel style kit (called the Ford Racing Kit)is standard. The Tickford style kit as fitted to my AU2 (extra cost option back then) is a no cost option on AU3.

Also, AU2 XR8 was 200kW until vehicles built June 1 2001. After that they were 220kW and can be spotted via body colour mirrors. 220kW was not a free upgrade because you lost 5th alloy wheel, 6 CD changer went to single, and a few other minor items Ford thought no one would notice.

AU3 was best in Forte, Futura and definitely Fairmont Ghia. Others were so minor it wasn't more than a badge.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 18:23   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
6 CD changer went to single, and a few other minor items Ford thought no one would notice.

That move back fired. People sure did notice
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 18:23   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

I thought AU3's were released a tad later. I'm under the impression that in June the AUII recieved a minor update kind of an AUIIb model. My car is built July 2001 and it's an AUII, though it has coloured mirrors and probably initially had the side skirt rockers ala Falcon SR.
My indicator lenses are still amber however.

AP is not wrong about loosing items, although i have a spare 17 inch alloy, the biggest lost for the HP was LSD Diff.

Clear indicator lenses are on it's way to upspec the car. :s5

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 18:26   #8 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Scheduled servicing went the way of the dodo too.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:33   #9 (permalink)
Australian XR8 Member

One other 'minor' improvement - the windscreen is different in the area front of centre rear vision mirror - a 'dot matrix' affect similar to what is seen around edges of screens. This really improves sun strike when driving west at dusk, when sun is shining between both sun visors and around mirror - really only a 15 minute event in the afternoon.

I think Momo wheel became available in grey coloured highlight. AUIII XR8 only standard with normal body kit in NZ until last month, as Rebel kit was sold as part of an overall package 'limited to only 22 vehicles in NZ'. Now I believe there is a choice of kit.

Oh yes, and the clear indicators were redesigned so water got trapped inside of them. And front ball joints changed so they knocked continuously at low speed on a flat road. (neither mod has a fix?)
Old 05-16-2002, 01:37   #10 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Ball joints have a fix. Grease in them originally heated up an dried out, leaving them ball joints to rub and knock. They either re-grease them with new stuff, or replace them if they've been worn. Go ask your dealer.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub