AU2 Forte Experience - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2001, 04:12   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

eek AU2 Forte Experience

Dear Ford,

Due to circumstances beyond my control I am in possession of an AU2 Forte from Delta Europcar. It had 31km on the clock when I got it.

I have driven these cars often, however this was my first time loaded up with luggage on the highway. To say I'm spooked is an understatement. Passing trucks had the car over the inside line as I passed the wind from the frontal zone. Corners took three or four bites of the wheel as the car rolled.

I saw all this in EA. I am disappointed and now understand fully why buyers like my old man just can't go for Falcon. That live axle rear end may not be the reason behind this behaviour, but compared to my IRS XR8 the difference is unbelievable.

Having said that, the rest of the car is well finished (except for the primer showing through the paint around the fuel filler.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2001, 04:21   #2 (permalink)
BOF

Dear Ford,
I too have an AU2 company car and wish to complain about a rather stange item. It's the bloody exhaust tip that has so far got about 6 scalps, mine has got me twice now resulting in a bad cut filled with black carbon etc (not real pretty and has resulted in a black tatoo on my fingers:( ) other people at work have also been caught by these exhaust tip on the sedans, the wagons have a far larger gap so the sponge can reach the bottom of the bumper without coming into contact with the razor tip. If it has got 6 people at my work and me twice it must have got a hell of alot of people around australia.
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 05:31   #3 (permalink)
FAT ALBERT

Thumbs up

I have had four Falcons consecutively. First one was an EF XR6. Then I purchased an EL XR6. My next car was an AU VCT XR6. Finally I now drive a Tickford massaged (suspension/wheels) AU11 Fairmont V8.

The first two cars were great. Not a problem. Some minor niggles but nothing major. The AU VCT XR6 was nearly the car that ended my relationship with ford!

But I bit the bullet and gave them one more try. The Faimont has been fantastic. I reckon as good as either the EF and or the EL. One of the things that I have noted is that the Watts link rear end when mated to 17/45/245 SP9000's and sitting on sports suspension compares very favourably with my VCT which was IRS equipped. The standard cars are scarry in terms of their propensity to wheelspin and lose traction during cornering. Had a few courtesy cars in my time! But for any one out there dont be frightened away by the live axle set up!! My car corners very nicely and pulls up nice and straight under heavy braking. Keep up the great work Tickford.
Old 10-14-2001, 18:00   #4 (permalink)

My renter now has 450km on the clock and the clunking from behind the passenger airbag in the dash is annoying the **** out of me. And before anyone asks the glovebox is empty!

'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

Old 10-14-2001, 18:05   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

I've had no bad experience with the watts linkage rear suspension on any falcon i've driven.
Obviously it's nto as smooth as IRS on rough roads but that goes without saying. I found the rear end of the VT Commo to be scary at times. Just my opinion thats all.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 18:15   #6 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

Pete,

sh!t you have had some bad luck mate.

My AU2 Forte handles very well, (well not at the moment cos the tyres are bald )

But all of the ones i have driven, are quite good. Maybe you have a lemon.

Anyway, hope everything works out!

Mine has a few rattles, but nothing too excessive.
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 19:26   #7 (permalink)
Rail Rider

Pete what happened to the XR?
Old 10-14-2001, 20:27   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM
Pete what happened to the XR?
It died. See thread in the Garage called 'AU@ Sunroof - Noisy As Hell'.

Old 10-14-2001, 22:21   #9 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Aussie Pete: I know you are not a big fan of live axle but dont you think if ford did stuff to it like add radius arms or panard rods, that would help stabalise the bugger and keep it grip to the road more. it might not be as smooth as IRS but for stuff like on utes and the wagon it would work wonders
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 22:34   #10 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

I haven't had any dramas with the live axle setup in my car, with Tickford's input I think they've got it fully sorted. Assuming AV's get the lightened IRS all round, the AUIII will be the last to have the live axle.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub