aufalcon.com economy article - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2004, 19:28   #1 (permalink)
BOFH

aufalcon.com economy article

Guys, I'm looking at writing up an article regarding getting good economy from the AU's. Obviously things like extractors, sparkplugs, fuels, oils, chips, tyres and other bits and pieces all make a difference. So, what I want to hear is what people have found to be the best products and mods to IMPROVE economy. This has nothing to do with power or performance, just the best way to increase the economy of an AU.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2004, 02:12   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: aufalcon.com economy article

Casper want to start adding these to the Ford-tech db that I am building up?
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 02:21   #3 (permalink)
BOFH

John, you are welcome to any article thats on aufalcon.com for the Ford Tech DB. No need to ask, help yourself. We will have some specific aufalcon stuff on aufalcon.com but theres info that may be of use to others so feel free to use anything on there you think is good for the FT DB.

Old 08-03-2004, 17:26   #4 (permalink)
BOFH

Well, I take it that no one has actually found any way to get large economy increases out of an AU yet?

Old 08-03-2004, 17:40   #5 (permalink)
known as tibbo

maybe we should start off with what conditions people are driving in and how many km/l they are getting...

I have 3 AU2's and 2 AU3's that can do 550+ kays a tank in PEAK hours traffic for 11 hours but then the other 10 average out at around 400-500 only.. THey all use the same filters,plugs,leads,even fill up at the same servo for ULP (not PULP) The drivers are rotated so its not driver habits and are all serviced on an 8 week schedule but 150 kays a tank is a huge discrepency .. THe total kays seems irrelevant also, some of the older ones and well travelled cars are just as good as the newer less than 100 000 klm cars..

I can post the brands of goodies i use when i head back to the office this arvo..

Note:- The products i use are for reliabilty first, price second and then performance (provided they don't hinder or restirct the car)
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 18:08   #6 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCraft
maybe we should start off with what conditions people are driving in and how many km/l they are getting...

I have 3 AU2's and 2 AU3's that can do 550+ kays a tank in PEAK hours traffic for 11 hours but then the other 10 average out at around 400-500 only.. THey all use the same filters,plugs,leads,even fill up at the same servo for ULP (not PULP) The drivers are rotated so its not driver habits and are all serviced on an 8 week schedule but 150 kays a tank is a huge discrepency .. THe total kays seems irrelevant also, some of the older ones and well travelled cars are just as good as the newer less than 100 000 klm cars..

I can post the brands of goodies i use when i head back to the office this arvo..

Note:- The products i use are for reliabilty first, price second and then performance (provided they don't hinder or restirct the car)

I'd certainly love to hear about the economy and what you are using. More imprtantly, what you look at to determine if a product is suitable for economy or not.
I found that putting in a chip and having it tuned correctly made a massive difference to my cars economy and performance. I honestly think that the EEC V is all over the place. Some are great, others are shocking. I guest mass production can cause this and thats why we see such large differences between to supposedly identical cars.

Old 08-03-2004, 18:38   #7 (permalink)
known as tibbo

The database i use for logging the pay-ins and the R&M has a feature that does alittle sum for me.. bearing in mind each car leaves my yard full and is returned as such
so:- Total klms in a shift/(the total $$ amount of ULP/ average pump price per litre)
eg:- 300 kays/ ($30.00/ .95 cents/litre)
klm/ltr for that car for that shift would be 9.5

When i have rep come around or i try something different on a particular car i can isolate with database filters that car and compare it to my fleet average or any other car inparticular.. It stands out like dogs balls if one car is dying (blocked cat convertor, crappy injectors etc).. I have been doing it for that long now i can spot a shocker usually straight away..

The other major consideration is that the product must have a decent lifespan.. No use using super efficent plugs if they will need adjustment or burn out before the 8 weeks maintainence schedule.. Same applies to brake pads, plug leads and even batteries

THe products i use are just your standard goodies you can get from ATP, REpco(or Coventry depending) and Ford.. I'll do alittle list for you this arvo..

I state again this mighn't be the 'performance' option but for those that want reasonable priced spare parts that meet the above criteria it could be of interest..
Old 08-04-2004, 01:26   #8 (permalink)
known as tibbo

As promised:-

Spark Plugs
NGK ZGR6B-11 or MotorCraft W16EXR-U11

Ignition Leads
Bosch SuperSports
B6228i or AU1 B6201i

Brake Pads
QFM DB1375
QFM DM1086 Theses are a local place Qld Friction Material Pty and are by far the best non asbestos pads i can find.. Little dust, Minimal fade and no squeaks

Discs
only DBA standards.. tried slotted and cross drilled,, usless, caused squeaks and although the machined surfaces don't score as easily the disc itself goes out of round..

Fuel Filters
Fuel Miser F1-0199 or Repco RFF-33

Silverline AF435L Paper airfilters... at around $8 a throw i can get roughly a dozen to one reuseable K&N.. The K&N filters did nothing to improve fuel eco, i was surpised as it was my bright idea to try them.. Don't believe the hype, a clean paper filter is as good imo.

ATP Trans Service packs Automatic Transmission Parts
FK-1285
Old 08-04-2004, 01:32   #9 (permalink)
BOFH

Thanks racecraft, all really useful. I dont suppose you want to write a small article on fleet AU's and how they go? Would be a great addition to the site.

Also, I agree about the paper filters. I cant see the justification in a K&N. Around town the extra 1 or 2 kw is not much use and at the track I pull the filter anyhow!

Old 08-07-2004, 16:07   #10 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Guys ..the most noticeable fuel economy I get is say after a drive for 5 hours at 110 kph.Then when I get back into city driving the car seems to get freak excellent city driving economy for the first one or two tanks.Dont know why ..but it does happen..Maybe someone knows why and maybe it can help the mission of this thread..
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub