AUII/III XR6 questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2004, 03:12   #1 (permalink)
Classic Mustang Member

AUII/III XR6 questions

Hey there everyone, I'm relatively new to this board and I have a few questions of you in the know about the AUII and AUIII XR6s.

First, a bit of background on me: I bleed Ford blue. I've owned Fords (specifically Mustangs) since I was 16 years old, and I'm going a bit nuts without one right now. I am originally from Canada, but my Mom is an Aussie, so I have dual citizenship and finally decided to get on with it and give it a go over here. My wife and I have been in Australia since early September, and spent the first couple of months setting up, travelling around a bit and then finding work.

Now we're settling in here in Brissie and have found employment it's time to get a vehicle. Right now I'm driving my cousin's car, as he is over in the US on a work exchange. He's getting back in a month or so, and I have to give the car back (not that I would want to keep it... I won't even divulge to you folks what it is ).

As we are saving for a house, and will be starting a family soon I want to stay pretty affordable for now, but I want something a bit sporty with some style, which is why I am looking at the XR6s (the XR6 is a good copromise for me with the Mrs as well... gives me room to work that 69 Mach I into the picture in a few months ). I've seen quite a few AUII and AUIII XR6s for sale, and they seem to range in prince from $22-$32K, depending on mileage (and private vs dealer sales).

My questions are more in regards to the reliability and performance of the 4.0 engine, and if there are any problem areas I should be aware of and on the look-out for while car shopping? I see a lot of them with close to or over 100k on the clock... what kind of shape can I expect the engine to be in, and what is a reasonable life-span for this engine? I have tons of experience with the good old 5.0 V8 (built a few of those in my time), but know next to nothing about the Aussie 4.0 I6! Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any other tips on choosing a AUII or AUIII XR Falcon would be appreciated as well. Thank in advance for your help and advice on this! I look forward to enjoying my first Aussie XR Falcon in the near future, and I am sure it will be the first of many.

Cheers,
Ian
http://79indypace.stangnet.com
http://mustangpaceregistry.stangnet.com
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2004, 03:21   #2 (permalink)
In Pursuit of excellence

Re: AUII/III XR6 questions

Pretty well bullet proof vehicle, motors are basically the same as what 95% of the taxi cabs use in Australia,(so that has to say something) but they are a bit tweaked,if you go for the XR6 VCT you get the double wishbone IRS, and variable cam timing(slightly more power) if you dont care you have the live rear axle, which may save you a few bucks. All in all they are a pretty capable vehicle, at a pretty good price. Check this web site to give you some kind of idea www.redbook.com.au
BA Pursuit, Blueprint,Silver stripes, Prestige sound, Leather, Sports s/wheel
cams290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 03:43   #3 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Welcome Gearhead, the XR6 is a great choice, they are a well balanced vehicle. I wouldn't be too concerned about 100,000km (60k odd miles) as Cam said they're bullet proof. Some would consider it just run-in. As for performance, they are not much (if any) slower than a 5.0 XR8.
All the best.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:01   #4 (permalink)
Classic Mustang Member

Thanks for the quick replies! That's what I figured about the 4.0, as there are a damn lot of them around. I've been looking mainly at the VCT models for the extra performance and IRS. There are a couple in town and one down the coast that I'm going to check out this weekend. Hopefully I can work a deal and get one in the garage in the next couple of weeks.

It's a whole new game over here with cars... I feel like I'm 16 again just learning what to look for. Back in Canada the only inline-6 that got any respect as a performance engine was in the Toyota Supra. I'm looking forward to learning a bit (lot!) more about the potential of these engines.

That being said... I sure miss the sound of my warmed over 5.0, off road H-pipe exhaust and Flowmaster 2-chamber mufflers. Heaven!!

Cheers,
Ian

http://79indypace.stangnet.com
http://mustangpaceregistry.stangnet.com
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:15   #5 (permalink)

The Ford I6 is good to keep going a long time. 300,000 kms certainly isn't out of the question provided it is maintained sufficiently. The taxis can get 1,000,000 kms out of them as they are kept running warm most of the time.

The XR6 combines solid performance with family car practicality along with the parts support from a car company's biggest seller - which helps make parts cheaper and widely available.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:29   #6 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

On the other hand Gearhead, if you like the 5.0s, why not look for an XR8?
Old 03-17-2004, 14:33   #7 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Yeah, ony of my dad's mates has an EBII ex-taxi Falcon that he drives daily. 4.0litre like the AUs, its for 1,300,000km and still goes!!! They're definitley good cars.
Old 03-17-2004, 15:27   #8 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I've been looking mainly at the VCT models for the extra performance and IRS.
Something you should be made aware of is the VCT cars are actually a little slower than the XR6 HP. This is due to the extra weight of the IRS is too much for the tiny bit of increase in bottom end power the VCT engine produces.
Also whilst the IRS is no doubt better, it is really only an advantage on poor roads, as the old 'whats-this' rear end works quite well.

Food for thought.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 18:00   #9 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I've been looking mainly at the VCT models for the extra performance and IRS.
Mate have a drive of an XR6 HP manual, they are the quickest AU XR6 model. At 1530kg they are relatively light and are about 100kg lighter than the VCT sister.

The manual is a must to really bringout the XR6 HP's mid-top end band. Don't forget the XR6 HP makes 164kw using a stock forte exhaust, as opposed to the VCT using an XR8 2.5inch exhaust system. Not hard to get the XR6 HP into 170-175kw mark for a few hundred bucks.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 18:41   #10 (permalink)
Leafspring Owners Club

Ahh this takes me back. The old HP v's VCT Discussions........

Both great cars with advantages and disadvantages (already mentioned). VCT shouldnt be too much more these days in the scheme of things.

Strider has a valid point and probably the HP is the best for my money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub